Ex-Pats on the site.

Most expats, by definition, have lived elsewhere other than Ireland. That means they have seen other countries, societies, economies, cultures and politics.

My youngest sister, who I do not know very well, describes me as incensed. Incensed and angry at how this country is run. That is because I have seen that it can be done better, with little or no effort.

I will leave as soon as possible.Tomorrow would suit me.

Absolutely agree! :laughing:

Left for chicago in 86 (for summer holiday).Stayed there till 93 when I moved to Ozz for a year.
From Ozz I returned to chicago but returned to Ireland in late 94.
I lasted three months in Ireland, I couldn’t stick the incessant, continual rain.
I’ve done some time in Toronto and in Chile and Argentina.
I have been back to Ireland three times in 14 years and not sure when or if I’ll return again.

What part of Latin America? (if not too personal)

On the weather thing…I’d say if you were pretty content with life, surrounded by friends and family, happy enough with your lot and comfortable with Irish society and the way the place is run, then you probably wouldn’t even notice the weather.

But if yer disgruntled with Ireland, the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work, then the weather…that endless rain…not seeing the sun for weeks on end…becomes a lightning rod for all that frustration and alienation. Probably because it’s one of the only things you can safely give out about and not be ostracised.

I agree sidewinder, it’s something no one can argue with and makes return visits more convivial. Another aspect is the prevalence of binge drinking as a cultural activity where long dark seasons prevail, in other climes alcohol is more integrated into everyday life; drinking in public is not taboo but drinking to get drunk is.

Sorry, but you’re not considered a fully qualified ex-pat until you’re bored by the notion of outdoor dining.

But, if you are coming back to Ireland from a long stint in a country where the “the way it is run, the endemic arsebackwards disorganisation, the crazy notions about money and commerce, the idiot grasping petty-corrupt politicians and all their strokes and scams, the lack of services and amenities, the amount of spoofing and auld blether involved in every conversation and interaction at work” makes Ireland look as well run as Finland by comparison, you can still get annoyed at what goes on here but without letting it get to you too much. The weather could be nicer but it’s good to not have to worry about hypothermia or heatstroke.

No, I’m not sure about that. This summer has been particularly appalling. No sun to speak of - cloudy with some rain every day. It’s like living in a wet sock.

I agree, though, that if you are incensed, then the weather makes it worse.

I put it this way, whenever I get even a faint pang for the familiar of the auld sod, I simply look up the met.ie site and any waft of nostalgia instantly evaporates.

I do think that being shut in so much by the weather is conducive to an very communicative society, the internet allows me to still partake of that society without being there.

I miss the consequences of mild damp weather, birdsong and deciduous trees, more than those endless rainy days. Maple trees are actually rare in Canada - we should really have a half-dead black spruce on our flag - but at least indoors is usually warm which could not be said of some relatives’ farmhouses visited a few weeks ago. The cold woke me up every morning. I’m tempted to bring my cross country ski gear next time.

Spambots affect this but

alexa.com/siteinfo/thepropertypin.com#

Question! 41 yr old male, PhD pharmacology, 4yrs as a general manager of a pharma sales & marketing organisation, responsible for overview of finance, medical compliance. 3 kids, misses, should I apply for a visa!

Canada/Australia, preferably the US

Should you apply is a strange question, since the answer is “depends on whether you want to work there or not” …

H1Bs in the US for 2014 have hit the cap limit in (almost) record time. Really heavy demand there. But given you have management experience there will be other routes open to you from a visa perspective if the US is your target. If your current employer is a US multinational, a transfer will be the best option available to you.

lexology.com/library/detail. … a16250adf5

Can’t comment on the other countries really. A family member lives in Canada, they applied for a job and got an offer. Don’t remember any particular visa hassles. Know two people who went to Australia on skills visas and that was a fairly long process.

Skilled Worker visas for New Zealand are relatively straightforward to get up to the age of 55.

It’s not cheap here though so a good job lined up in advance is essential, property prices are bubblicious with Auckland prices just plain nuts, and for some reason everyone thinks it’s a tropical paradise but the weather is actually more France than Fiji. Still an decent improvement on Irish weather though :smiley:

On the plus side the amenties and activities are excellent, always Stuff to do. Wellington at least has a decent cultural scene and is very cosmopolitan, and I personally like Kiwis a lot. Honest, straight, friendly positive people as a rule, and stuff generally works here with a minimum of fuss. I love it here, but some ex-pats really dislike the place and leave after 6 months shrugs

You forgot to mention that its in the middle of bleeding nowhere.

Would put me off to be honest for that reason.

Each to their own. I’m perfectly content to be far, far away from the thundering clusterf*ck that is most of the planet these days.

Isn’t Perth the second most isolated city in the world?
I’ve been to NZ and if you have a good wage it has a lot more to offer than Perth.

Traitor :smiley: