Find the new website confusing - Users Feedback :gargled:

Try zooming the page +10% - that was my default for phpBB. It does make a difference.

I’ll investigate a more neutral colour if WHITE-OUT is really the issue, this would not the same as a dark theme.

@bubbletrouble check out the new theme: pinstyle-X (beta) this is now a feature - Theme: pinstyle-X (beta)

:star: Solved :heavy_check_mark:

1. the continuous scrolling and its control – I felt much more anchored with the paginated version,

:star: 80% less bothered - by any market standards, that’s solved! :heavy_check_mark:

1. gratuitous wastage of screen real estate.

Light-x & pinstyle-X have brought available display width to something highly comparable with some Xenforo or other typical BB/forum widths that use similar style. Let’s not forget Avatars sacrifice an entire column of varying width across most platforms, the space is given back to posts.

I consider this relatively, :star: SOLVED! - within the current means and parameters. :heavy_check_mark:

Anymore Quibles? :wink:

The site is veering dangerously close to usable. :grin:

I’m trialling the new pinstyle, but not sure I even need it. Your other fixes/tips are all helpful. I just noticed the “Keyboard Shortcuts” link at the bottom of the top-right menu. Lots of useful stuff there if one was prepared to devote enough brain cells to memorising them.

Thanks for all the good work!
(still missing the old Pin wine bottle smiley, so … )

Oh how awful! I’m so sorry!!! :cry:

I’m trialling the new pinstyle, but not sure I even need it. Your other fixes/tips are all helpful. I just noticed the “Keyboard Shortcuts” link at the bottom of the top-right menu. Lots of useful stuff there if one was prepared to devote enough brain cells to memorising them.

Oh yea I forgot about that, handy.

Thanks for all the good work!
(still missing the old Pin wine bottle smiley, so … )

All may not be lost on this one either. :point_up:

Users can register (if they have not done so already) to use the two new themes.

• Then the plan is to fold back some but not all of the changes from the betas into the main theme for the benefit of the whole.

• Some extra theme functionality may arrive with future upgrades of the platform.

Right now the simplest thing to do is register to use the beta themes developed to address concerns over the formatting of content as expressed by users earlier on in this topic.

My first time posting on the new format. I’m not tech minded but overall the new site looks “busy”. Even reading this thread is complicated. There is too much going on. Cumbersome is the word which springs to mind. It’s not great on my iPhone either.
However I assume this is “progress”.

Define “busy” please.

Even reading this thread is complicated.

How exactly?

There is too much going on.

Where? On screen, in your noodle? :brain:

Cumbersome is the word which springs to mind.

Heavy, How exactly?

It’s not great on my iPhone either.

I’m typing this reply on an iPhone. It’s never been easier.

However I assume this is “progress”.

You managed to muster a reply. I’d say that’s progress! :wink:

• Have you tried a different theme?

See here - ⭐ Theme: pinstyle-X (beta)

See here also - ⭐ Theme: Lite-X (beta)

Finally, see also here - ⭐ Theme: Light-BOX (beta)

I ask these questions so I can understand the difference between bother inflamed by cognitive dissonance overload and genuine UI/UX issues, that might be fixable in the short-term, with #GIveIt2Weeks (familiarisation) or theme tweaks and development.

:ninja:

:dipso: I don’t remember this one! :sandm:

:icon_eek: :icon_redface:

Thanks for the work on the site. It’s a thankless job. Hopefully these are points of constructive criticism.
But feel free to take these as little more than the ramblings of a permanently disgruntled individual :slight_smile:

1. Scroll. I know this UI is showing up everywhere now. I really don’t like it on this site anymore than I like it anywhere else. It’s a scourge which results in sites constantly reloading and having to constantly scroll around. It never becomes more usable. All that happens is that people get used to the keyboard short cuts that allow you to jump to the end / beginning and there by to a certain extent bypass the feature all together. Yeah, this feature works so well everyone has trained themselves never to use it.

2. Suggested discussions.
    It’s just throwing up random stuff from years ago. After an initial, wow, I forgot all about that, it becomes a distraction. Apart from nostalgia that quickly fades, I’d get rid of it.

3. ctrl-f is overloaded. Please don’t break a normal function of a browser. Trying to make a simple basic feature such as search the current page work better than the browser can do it just never ends well.

4. —last visit— I really don’t like the last visit separator on the pages.

5. There are too many columns on a page. Views, activity are probably not needed.

6. ’New’ Clicking categories such as new are only showing up a half dozen or so discussions. Shouldn’t this display them in descending order?

Thanks for the work maintaining the site!

Sure.

1. Scroll. I know this UI is showing up everywhere now. I really don’t like it on this site anymore than I like it anywhere else. It’s a scourge which results in sites constantly reloading and having to constantly scroll around. It never becomes more usable. All that happens is that people get used to the keyboard short cuts that allow you to jump to the end / beginning and there by to a certain extent bypass the feature all together. Yeah, this feature works so well everyone has trained themselves never to use it.

Scroll has alwasy been around since the GUI, but infinite scroll maybe not - blame Steve Jobs? :wink:

Personally I’ve always paged down/up when on a keyboard or scroll wheel second best. Scrolling is scrolling. I think it’s absence of “Next Page” you might be lamenting more here?.

1. Suggested discussions.
    It’s just throwing up random stuff from years ago. After an initial, wow, I forgot all about that, it becomes a distraction. Apart from nostalgia that quickly fades, I’d get rid of it.

It may be tweaked, down the line - Maybe.

1. ctrl-f is overloaded. Please don’t break a normal function of a browser. Trying to make a simple basic feature such as search the current page work better than the browser can do it just never ends well.

That’s code. I get your point. No control over that. It’s a feature! :star_struck:

1. —last visit— I really don’t like the last visit separator on the pages.

No control over that either, It’s a feature! :slight_smile:

(Assume you arereferring to the thin red line on the latest page)

1. There are too many columns on a page. Views, activity are probably not needed.

Not dissimilar to phpBB nor a deal breaker. They’re staying and are important for sorting. :slight_smile:

Potentially in a theme far far away this might be investigated.

1. ’New’ Clicking categories such as new are only showing up a half dozen or so discussions. Shouldn’t this display them in descending order?

I see this so little I’ll have to go test but it only shows what’s new - Filters out the old topics for a quick overview. Not sure of the order.

Thanks for the work maintaining the site!

You are welcome. Very little of the constructive gripes do we have much control over if any.

I strongly suggest trying the latest theme Light-BOX

I think it’s absence of “Next Page” you might be lamenting more here?.

Partially. Go to the site in private mode then see what you have to do to get to the end of a conversation. Private mode being used as a way to see what I mean. It’s a right pain in the ass to get to the end of one of the big long running conversations with hundreds of comments.
Links at the top of Next Page, last page make it easier to navigate.

I’m also finding the infinite scrolling significantly worse in low bandwidth/contention areas.

Anyhoo, if there is something easy to do about it that would be good.

1. I’m not going to log in by default. Please get rid of the notification telling me to sign up and log in which takes up half the screen on a phone. The “Hello! Looks like you’re enjoying the discussion…” thingy.

@The_Curious_One I don’t know what you mean by private mode. Private browsing?

Have you tapped the scroll bar bottom right on mobile? (Top left on desktop.)

It’s actually called the timeline.

That’s your next page etc etc. you can zip through a thread rapidly this way in a second.

The hello pop-up / screen has been disabled. For now. :wink: thanks for the heads up as I hadn’t seen that feature.

@Thargor

Your wish has been granted - Borders around posts have been totally like available forever - the beta themes are available to registered users, selectable from your user profile > interface settings.

:star: Theme: pinstyle-X (beta)

:star: Theme: Light-BOX (beta)

To @Open_Window I am finding the site much more useable keep up the good work. I’m slow to adapt to change :slight_smile:

Cool and great here!

What helped you the most, for e.g. Time, Interface/Theme (betas), a few scoops? :icon_beer:

time and habit - and it feels more streamlined. The main thing for me is the knowledge and opinions of others on the board

@Gusman 2 weeks :icon_biggrin: (give or take) :icon_wink:

Sorry, I find the new site is a full on sensory overload. The most annoying feature is the seeming never ending scrolling, and I also find it almost impossible to tell where in the timeline of the discussion I have landed.

No need to apologise.

In your field of view are you seeing the timeline slider top right of posts in any topic?

Also it’s bottom right on mobile and requires a tap to open, revealing the slider and posts previews.

It also keep try of your spot if you slide somewhere so you can go “back”.

Here you can navigate forward and back in a thread depending where you land.

I’ve visited the updated site a few times and well, I suppose my opinion can be guaged from how active I’ve been.

It’s a bit like a squat-pit toilet. :wink:
I understand how it’s supposed to work and I suppose it’s simple in its way, but that doesn’t mean that I actually like using it.

Sorry, folks, but that’s just how it is. :frowning: