Flippin' heck

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … 12/3076425

Purchased for €152.5k in Dec-2013.
Renovated, asking €300k
Sold for €372.7k in Jun-2015
propertypriceregister.ie/we … enDocument

€220k buys a lot of renovation

373k to live in Crumlin… XX

Houses on the canal end of Clogher Road where hitting €381k (stamp duty threshold) in late 2005.

Know the area well. Around by Rutland Avenue is colourful to say the least and the traffic by Sundrive can be really bad.

that is sheer madness. Despite the renovations it still looks quite dark and depressing. Doesn’t float my boat.

Well another 50k lobbed off just now…

Those houses are going for around 200k now if they need refurbishment. So about 50k of increase is market return. Don’t know how much renovation would have cost but that’s a great return for flipper

It has to fall further. Approved planning for extension looks expensive and will need conservation sign off.

Could be a lovely house but has away to go yet.

3 Mount Norris Villas, Strand Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow:

Sold for €329,900 on 22/08/2014: propertypriceregister.ie/we … enDocument

Now up for €550,000: myhome.ie/residential/brochu … ow/3260590

From what I remember there were serious structural issues with this building and it looks like that apart from new paint work and a clean-up nothing else has been done to it.

It has a C2 BER which, given it possesses “original sash windows” means it’s probably been warmboarded throughout, had the chimneys blocked up, attic insulation and a new gas boiler. No way to achieve that grade otherwise (less you’ve a hooky assessor working for you. Even if not, I’d be poking a nail through an inconspicious part of the warmboard to see how thick the insulation is - assessors will take the owners word on thickness).

My concern would be the quality of the work. Photo 12 of 12 shows the ceiling rose which a) looks like it’s had paint applied with a trowel and b) appears to have original light pendant and cable (yellowed cable where it hasn’t been painted along with the rose). I’d suspect the wiring hasn’t been done (even if some new sockets/consumer board installed). If so, it means a surface-minded attitude at work - so steer well clear.

Not a great location either and an East/West orientation might prove dim during the day

There was a large structural crack running down the front elevation and it sagged forward. If you look at the roof above the right window in the picture of the front of the house you can see that there’s still a problem so I doubt this has been addressed. Definitely not an area I’d like to live, particularly with the new plans for the back of the Strand Hotel!

Over the bay? Probably a leak rotting a (no doubt) wooden lintel supporting the masonry above. Easily enough rectified, in the sense of being permanently stablized, even if you were left with some out-of-alignment afterward. But I don’t get the sense that this level of detail would have been tackled. Like the apparent lack of rewiring, it would represent a silly omission given the flip potential - no surveyor is going to overlook/be fobbed off.

What are the plans for the back of The Strand?

Yes, over the bay but runs all the way through the wall and leaves the front part sagging at an angle to the rest. Went into the room there and was told that the “angle in the floor boards is a feature of period homes” you couldn’t make it up :laughing:

The Strand has PP in for a whole new kitchen extension out back (currently it’s on the first floor and not really suitable), plus beer garden and a first floor extension to ad rooms. The hotel part will reopen later this year.

If properly stabilised then it wouldn’t matter too much apart from aesthestics. I lived in Holland where houses were built on wooden piles which, as they rotted, resulted in the houses sagging to quite alarming degree. Interestingly, they utilised thin bricks and a flexible motar which resulted in the house flexing as it sagged, rather than cracking. You could see new windows which had been fitted over the years had to be made to fit the out of square opes. Crooked is only bad when it’s on the move.

Not a lie: the result of floor joists rotted away by failure/lack of damp course.

Hmm. Thanks.

Potential super-what-a-flip on Glenart Ave, Blackrock:

Asking €1,650,000
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … in/3274525

Sold for €745,000 on 30/09/2014
propertypriceregister.ie/we … enDocument

Might go to the open viewing for a nose on Saturday.

126 Leinster Road, Rathmines

Sold last November for 750k
propertypriceregisterireland.com … nd-133144/

Price just upped from 1.5m to 1.6m 8DD
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -6/3092413

Now 805K

4 Orwell Gardens, Rathgar

Sold in March for 310k
propertypriceregisterireland.com … nd-146123/
Done up, now asking 525k 8DD
daft.ie/sales/4-orwell-garde … n/1108117/

distastefully done up at that

Someone will love it (although I’d agree with you). What they won’t love is trying to wipe down the textured wall tiles behind the bath - they’ll have to wipe in every undulation of the surface to remove grime.