Fukushima

The disaster continues.

Citizen’s Radiation map of Japan.

A write up on the different radiation levels.

Zoom out a bit
and you see:

population density:
https://myweb.unomaha.edu/~lmay/final_files/image008.jpg

Considering the average worldwide dosage is 2.4 mSv/year then this legal limit is a bit of a farce. Good job then that they weren’t from Iran* or India* where they could be getting up to 260 mSv/year just by living there.

*Ramasar or Kerala

A link for Mikewest’s info. Background Radiation -Wikipedia

If they were from Ramasar or Kerala they would likely be better off because they would have some degree of Radioresistance, the “property of organisms that are capable of living in environments with very high levels of ionizing radiation.”

I was just about to crankily merge this with the original tsunami thread

Make nice everyone.

@Coles2 please read that little bit near the top of the article that gives the average exposure worldwide and reconcile with a “legal” limit of 1 mSv. Oh and if you don’t believe Wikipedia about the “average” value these guys apparently agree rpop.iaea.org/RPOP/RPoP/Content/InformationFor/Patients/radiation-terms.htm although personally I would rather believe Wikipedia.
@Kate P please merge or kill before it gets silly.

Wha?? Why the attitude? I just included a link for the information.

YM has closed the other thread and I’m not going to overrule that. But I’ll keep a closer eye on this discussion. It’s a conversation worth having.

You’re all big boys here. Report what you’re not happy with and play the ball.

@Coles. I thought (maybe I’m confusing you with someone else) you were in a count to ten mode?

(…8,9,10)

What have I done??

How about we just post stuff about Fukushima?

@Blindjustice, +1. A very useful map to put the scale of the contamination into perspective.

:slight_smile: It’s what you haven’t done - bite your tongue for once. This is your thread, post about whatever you want on topic - but it’s hardly worth picking a fight about every comment that makes you growl.

I’m going to sleep. I’m sure it will all be better in the morning.

guardian.co.uk/business/2011 … -shutdowns

Collapse Of The Nuclear Empire, Double Or Quits For Nuclear Business, -Market Oracle

Ft Calhoun, Nebraska.

https://visionsgreen.com/wp-content/uploads/ft-calhone-300x208.jpg

Water Encircles Nuclear Plant, -Wall Street Journal.

Taking the piss.

Fukushima residents’ urine now radioactive, - The Japan Times.

handy for peeing in the dark… :unamused:

Meanwhile in the USA

Nebraska Residents in No Danger After Floods Hit Nuke Plant: Waters Breach Berm at Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station -> abcnews.go.com/US/floods-hit-nuk … d=13932406

Los Alamos Fire Causes Evacuation, Threatens Nuclear Facility -> secaucusnewjersey.org/los-al … -1056.html

Emails between HMG and the Nuclear industry following the Tsunami, released under FOI. Getting the ‘lines’ straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zosA6pPH_E