Fukushima

I’ve no reason to think he isn’t. I want to avoid an echo chamber by doing some of the fact checking I’d do for someone I disagree with.

You are doing yourself no favours here.
Helium is a noble gas, and tends to go straight out of the atmosphere, because it is so light.
Neon is also lighter than air, and might therefore collect in the upper atmosphere, but the rest of the noble gases are heavier than air, and as the gases they are have no reason to go anywhere near space. In fact, Argon is one of the “main” constituents of air (yes, I know, in very low concentrations). So there is every likelihood the noble gases will end up in our lungs sooner or later, or maybe lodge in the body of some animal that enters the food chain.

You are right I read that on wikipedia that they floated into space. Xenon is denser than air but it still disperses very quickly around the world and should mix pretty evenly into the troposphere. We do inhale it in but it doesn’t concentrate in the human body so we just breath it out.

Good thing it’s not possible to get cancer in the mouth, throat, oesophagus, lungs, stomach…

Yes nobody is saying it isn’t. Breathing in an atom of xenon is completely harmless however unless it undergoes radioactive decay while it is in your lungs in which case you will get a tiny amount of exposure. This is an unlikey event in most cases as the half life of Xenon is 5.5 days. See some of the links I posted above regarding Xenon use in medicine and the dose levels. At the level we are talking about there is no evidence at all that anything harmful happens the amount we are talking about is tiny. In medicine they use doses tens of millions of times higher and the irradiation is negligible. Xenon is a red herring, lies spread by Arnie to suit an as yet unknown agenda. Al the Xenon is gone now it would have decayed within a few weeks and was pretty evenly spread globally throughout the global atmosphere within a week or so. Think of the volume of space it had to occupy…

Iodine concentrates in the Thyroid gland which is why it is more dangerous.

Follow the debate on the comments

Map of Atomic Insights visitors -> atomicinsights.com/map-of-atomic … /#comments

What exactly are we looking for here? I see one person (PissedOffAmerican) who admits that his area of expertise is not in nuclear energy arguing with a large number of nuclear professionals probably with 100s of years experience in the field operating in close proximity to operating nuclear reactors. This isn’t economics it’s an actual science where the people involved have a deep understanding of facts based on years of both theoretical and practical experience. Can anyone give me an example of something he said that is based in concrete scientific fact that I should be concerned about? Most of the time he just makes accusations.

Haven’t seen anything in the mainstream press but I gather there are plumes of steam coming from one of the reactor buildings starting two weeks ago.

Ok some nice sensible Pinster tell me that this is not as bad as some of the comments attached
nsnbc.me/2013/12/30/tepco-quietl … lting-now/

and that this is hype

Persons residing on the west coast of North America should IMMEDIATELY begin preparing for another possible onslaught of dangerous atmospheric radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster site in Japan. The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) says radioactive steam has suddenly begun emanating from previously exploded nuclear reactor building #3 at the Fukuishima disaster site in Japan. TEPCO says they do not know why this is happening and cannot go into the building to see what’s happening due to damage and lethal radiation levels in that building. Experts say this could be the beginning of a “spent fuel pool criticality (meltdown)” involving up to 89 TONS of nuclear fuel burning up into the atmosphere and heading to North America. Steam photo, full details and suggested methods to protect yourself appear below.

turnerradionetwork.com/news/146-mjt

Hmmm, a site that is one initial different from MSNBC, i’m sure they weren’t trying to fool anyone. Oh look, there’s an antivax article. Apparently the 1918 flu pandemic was caused by aspirin.

What’s this other site, the Turner Radio Network? something run by Ted Turner perhaps? puts Turner Radio Network into Wikipedia Oh.

It amazes me that people don’t check the reliability of their sources when they come across a sensational internet story.

I think the underlying news about new steam coming out is for real, whatever about the analysis.

Yep. looks like there is a real reason::

And in one bound the Pin soothes my shattered nerves again

Looking at the many cover ups already by Tepco, the many cover ups and routine radiation contamination covered up by US corporates working on producing the bomb, (google Hanford nuclear accident) I’d have a hard time just swallowing whatever story the company feels like peddling in it’s own interest.
Corporations are psychopaths when necessary.

A good explanation for the Unit 3 steam release.

Defying Japan, Rancher Saves Fukushima’s Radioactive Cows - Martin Fackler -> nytimes.com/2014/01/12/world … .html?_r=0

NHK broadcaster quits in protest over nuclear issues — Professor censored after 20 years on air — Was to reveal ‘extraordinarily high’ damages — Newly installed NHK chief ‘enthusiastic’ to help spread gov’t messages to audience - -> enenews.com/nhk-broadcaster-quit … gh-damages

Fukushima kids’ teeth to be checked for strontium-90 -> japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/0 … ontium-90/

1,400 Sue General Electric, Toshiba and Hitachi for Fukushima Disaster -> washingtonsblog.com/2014/01/ … aster.html

New radioactive water leak discovered at Fukushima plant - -> telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … plant.html

Cesium-134/137 level spiked in 21 elementary school ground soil in Kamakura in 2013 - -> fukushima-diary.com/2014/02/cesi … a-in-2013/

Tepco plans to discharge Tritium to the sea up to 30,000,000 Bq/m3 -> fukushima-diary.com/2014/02/tepc … 0000-bqm3/

Ok so it is running into the basement. There are serious issues in Fukushima and it will take a long time to fix them but it is not a global catastrophe.

“In these 16 schools, Cesium-134/137 density was lower than detectable level in 2012, however it jumped up in 13 schools in 2013. The highest reading was 137 Bq/Kg in total of Cesium-134/137. This is 1.3 times much as the food safety limit.”

— Therefore it was 1.3 times the food safety limit (which is highly conservative) but in the ground soil… so no one was eating it. 156 Bq/Kg is a tiny minisule amount… you can probably only measure something this small as it is radioactive.

Tepco states even if someone drinks 2L of water for one year, the annual internal exposure dose would be only 0.86 mSv in this contamination level. So it is safe at this level.

I suggest this site for news about Fukushima(less scaremongering).

It might be worthwhile for some people to read this article on atomic insights and the attached paper to see what the science says about low level radiation exposure. Not fear mongering sites. I’ve already gone over the scientific details in previous posts.

Japanese Prime Minister Had to Fly In to Fukushima In the Middle of the Night to Get the Scoop from Low-Level Nuclear Workers … Because Tepco Wouldn’t Tell Him the Truth -> washingtonsblog.com/2014/02/ … rkers.html