Game - What Animals Could we eat?

Wow, That is a Risk I had never considered.

Discussing what insects you can eat on Ray Darcy now, Beatle Larva and Termites are the most nutritious, crunchy locust taste the nicest :wink:

Crunchy on the outside. soft in the middle!!

Rat, Squirrel, Cat, Dog, Pigeon, insects…you will get to sample these delicacies (without even knowing it) once Iceland hits our shores!

In the meantime, I found this wildmanwildfood.com/pages/seaweeds.html - lot to be said for seaweed!

Not entirely ture. There are different populations of rabbits in Ireland. Generally some are mixymatosis free. It seems that they’ve developed a resistance or a survivability against one of the worst diseases that I know.

The can be caught by snare (illegal I believe in this nation full of laws only for the benefit of the Dublin 4 civil service gang and their business and banking buddies), shot (legal with appropriate licence) or trapped.

Good and tasty. Bit like chicken with a country roughness to it.

Easy to cook and prepare too.

I thought he wasn’t able to catch anything, ate berries and puked himself to death over a week long period? That’s from a secondhand recounting of the book (…while I was reading Touching the Void, there’s a story for ya!). 7kgs of rabbit is a lot I guess. With muzzled ferrets and nets you’d probably do alright, unless everyone has the same plan. If you don’t muzzle the ferrets they catch the baby rabbits and rip them to shreds in the burrens.

Anyway, Pigeon is often on menus in restaurants; described as Wood Pigeon, but who knows.

And paying €1.50 for a main of curry near Girona a year or so back, we were pretty sure it was crispy aromatic cat.

I think we export tons of this stuff to the Japanese. I’d say the saltiness of it would improve your coarse pigeon/rabbit.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal (or whatever) of River Cottage fame has a recipe for grey squirrel stew in his latest cookbook. I kid you not. I was busy salivating over the other recipes in the book one evening and turned the page only to go :open_mouth: :sick:
The rest of the stuff in the book looks lovely though…

[mod edit: off topic]

My Goldfish

Magpie (gathered in a wide net outside every house in Ireland) in mushroom sauce (gathered from the local golf course) served with wild garlic (gathered from the local river bank) and also served with potatoes au somethingorother (gathered from the bin outside tesco/lidl/marksandsparks) depending on your social class.

Fish, of course! We’re surrounded by water, after all. Just need to drive out the supertrawlers first.

Pigs. When you get your brown bin, use it as a store for swill to pass to the group pigs that you and your neighbours will keep. Pig dung is also an excellent source of methane…

“If it swims in the sea…if it walks on land…if it flies in the sky…it can be eaten.”
Mao Tse Tung.
I’ve often seen French and Spanish out collecting snails after a rain shower, and wondered why we Irish don’t do the same. I’ve collected,cooked and eaten snails abroad, but never in Ireland. Despite the abundance of them.
I imagine we still see ourselves as “above” that kind of thing.

is there a specific species of snail that you can eat?
How do you Identify them?
how do you p repair them?

I remember that garden snails were mentioned in 1000 ways to die.

I did some Digging
This is edible & native
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_aspersa
Discussion on same:
gaire.com/e/f/view.asp?parent=909169

The two week purification ritual means you have to plan this well in advance

As to the reason Why we do not eat them, I suspect the custom is a Roman empire one.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_pomatia