Garda Who Rented Out Garden Shed to 3 Adults + Baby Sacked.

98fm.com/2010/category-news- … abra-fire/

From the reading of that it wouldn’t appear to have been Galvin’s house.

81 Furry Park it appears - he appears to have upset all the neighbours there too.

See: DCC Planning app search and populate with either 81 or 81a Furry Park or *galvin in the name field …
dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/r … ia.display

Quite a few of his properties around Dublin as metioned in this thread also pop up.

Using Bing Maps I can’t see ‘The famous Shed’

Or google Street view here -

maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=81+f … CBQQ8gEwAA

As I thought chip on shoulder sanctimonious twit from a small farm or cul de sac. Let me guess those who did not intend to make a quick buck. twaddle. A landlord is anyone with a property to rent for the right return. If he/she cant get it they lower the price but not as low as you wish just the market. High mortgages cant be dodged so go off and locate more stupid pictures. I suppose you did a course to show you to do that in FAS?

:question:

:laughing: That was one of the more crypic contributions to a Property Pin debate about ‘Rents coming down’. I think it’s part of an impassioned defense of the landlord profession.

No glee policy on this website? Hell, I’m bursting with glee!!! 8DD

It seems that there are several judges in this country who don’t have a clue about entrepreneurship…

I passed by there earlier. From what I could make out the fire was at 98 Cabra Park, not one of Galvin’s properties listed above.

out and about

breakingnews.ie/ireland/high … 86405.html

No one seems to be questioning why three adults with a child decided to rent out a garden shed.

FFS, they are worse then this ‘slum’ landlord.

I think that may be somewhat unfair Mossy. I’m not sure that everyone here is aware of what their personal circumstances are in this instance. Furthermore they may well have been told and made arrangments to move into what was suitable habitable accommodation with the landlord or agent only to find it unsuitable on arrival.

I remember in the not so distant past, about 7 years ago, summer of 2003, after coming back from America and looking for accommodation in a rush and cheaply. Ended up moving into a small coverted 1 bedroom garden shed. Not a good experience. Landlord was useless. Made list of the issues that were not resolved. Moved out after indicating that legal action would be taking after he had set the electricity coing operated meter to 4 times the actual cost. Got the deposit back and left.

I don’t think that victim bashing is appropriate in this instance. Certainly not until more detailed evidence of their particular knowledge and circumstances is made aware.

What the hell are you on about? The fact that three adults decided to rent out a graden shed escapes you?

Blah blah bla bla…

What victim bashing? Oh we are all victims now. The people that rented out that garden shed knew what they were up to. Who’s going to be blamed for that childs upbrining?

Here’s what I’m on about:

Let me just deal with item no. 1 here where you indicate that they are worse than the landlord.
I certainly don’t think so.
I think that the details thus far show that they were rented an inappropriate and unsafe place of residence.
The Council/Corporation became to be aware of this and pressed charges successfully eventually resulting in this landlord being convicted, and then later jailed for failing to uphold his bargain.
So I certainly don’t think that they are worse that this landlord. Stupid - maybe, taking advantage of - possibly but certainly not worse than this landlord.
Just to clarify:

1. Have they been convicted? No. Has Landlord been convicted? Yes
  2. Have they provided unsuitable accomodation knowingly for rent even after been given advice and guidance otherwises? No. Has landlord provided unsuitabel accommodation knowingly for rent even after been given avice. Yes.

Simple.

No.
It’s not ideal to rent out a garden shed and I’ve already given my experience of that, but certain garden “sheds” can be quite good places to reside in. Pool Houses, Large converted sheds, them seomra thingys can be quite nice as per example here (and are in general compliance with regulations).
https://www.shomera.ie/Images/4-Shomera-Studio-005.jpg
shomera.ie/knowledge-centre. … definition

It’s the victim blaming that you are up to here Mossy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming
You’ve gone out and using anecdotal suppostions been blaming the persons for their renting out of this shed without a full awareness of the rental process that they went through to get it, who got if for them, or other details. Like if you’ve got some real details other that your own making your mind up of the situation then post them. There are already plenty of links to evidence that this ex cop was utterly to fault for providing bad accommodation and has so been convicted. Good and properly thank goodness as he was provided opportunity to correct the wrongs that he did but instead went off and repeated his maldoings again.
Let’s stop making up complaints with no basis about the victims of this crime Mossy unless you are able to provide some decent contraindications otherwise.

No. But I’m certainly picking up feelings of some self-righteous politically correct no good victim here. :angry:

Knew what? About renting the shed? Maybe. Maybe not. Really I’ve had to do it in the past due to financial concerns. If the shed fits then it’s OK. This one was not. Maybe they were used to much worse and wanted something better but this is all that they could afford. I don’t have details. Why don’t you go and provide some facts here Mossy rather than your remarks about things that you don’t know about…

Could they have not checked the place out first before they moved in. Do they not owe it to themselves, least of all to the child?

You want to be down right stupid to move into the type of accomodation in question. Criminally stupid more like it. Maybe social welfare should be on to these adults.

Yes, they can be but we know the shed they moved into was a kip.

My concern here are not the adults but the child. I do not hold much optimism for that kid’s future.

Come again.

How the hell could they not know they were renting out a garden shed? Were they blind? Even if they weren’t working, surely they could have chipped in and gotten themselves decent accomodation? What about rent supplements and everything else they were entitled to.

The feeling I’m getting from your posts is that the adults are victims end of.
In this particular case though it seems to me that it took two to tango.

Could they have not checked the place out first before they moved in. Do they not owe it to themselves, least of all to the child?

You want to be down right stupid to move into the type of accomodation in question. Criminally stupid more like it. Maybe social welfare should be on to these adults.

Yes, they can be but we know the shed they moved into was a kip.

My concern here are not the adults but the child. I do not hold much optimism for that kid’s future.

Come again.

How could they not know they were renting out a garden shed? Were they blind? Even if they weren’t working, surely they could have chipped in and gotten themselves decent accomodation? What about rent supplements and everything else they were entitled to.

The feeling I’m getting from your posts is that the adults are victims end of.
In this particular case though it seems to me that it took two to tango.

BTW, Merry Christmas. Lets not turn this into a slagging match on Christmas day.

8DD :smiley:

Mossy, As I said before you’re continuing to base your case here on information that you have made up.

You do not know what agent or otherwise was engaged to rent the property or you don’t know details about the facts and the knowledge or abilities of the family that moved in here to be able to properly determine the state of the accommodation up to the time that they were actually inhabited within it. Do you?
What you are continuing to do here is to state your personal suppositions as fact without providing actual referenced information?
Also, you don’t know (nor do I for that matter) that the family that moved in may have been the actual ones to bring alertness to the authorities about the continuing issues at the property?

Do you know whether they were entitled to income supplements or rent allowance? Do you? Really? Present the facts please. Let’s see them.
Either put up your knowledge with basis or stop with the unreferenced statements that you are making.

I do believe that your posting is a clear example of victim blaming and is not something that I think should be tolerated and that’s why I’m making the effort here to deal with this.

All people have responsibilites. I agree that there are issues with living in sheds. But here we don’t know what led this family with their child to be living there. The facts of the case, which you continue to avoid addressing is that the landlord was found criminally negligent and convicted and jailed as a result following multiple attempts to get him to resolve the issues. This is one of the few cases (I can count them on a single hand) where a case involving property has been to a reasonable degree successfully pursued by the government. The courts agreed and convicted the criminal. A job generally well done. Yet off you go and start blaming the affected family without evidence or proof of the circumstances.

Coming back to my point about “victims”. I pick up feelings, that I admit now may be incorrect, that you feel somewhat affected by the judgement in this case. That you perhaps feel that it’s OK to be renting out places that are sub-standard and that really the tenants should have known better about it. I agree that tenants should know and pick good places for their families to live in but it’s not always possible given the situations in our society where the odds are stacked with the landlord and his agents. Therefore I don’t blame or accuse the tenants as you’ve been doing here. That’s why I’m showing the possibilites of how tenants sometimes don’t know until it’s already too late and until they are after moving in.

I will consider reporting you original posting as victim blaming and inappropriate given the context of the situation and the identity of the family being derivable in this case unless you can provide some factual evidence or reference to back up the still unsuported claims that you have made.

Oh, one other point.

There’s no yet law indicating criminality for being stupid.

Thank goodness for some.

Happy Christmas to you Mossy. Really with sincerity. Whatevery about these last postings of yours. It’s all in good spirit I hope of well reasoned arguments.

The Garden Shed rental makes a return in BALLYBOUGHAL of all places!!!
daft.ie/21124777. And they say that an interest in gardening would be helpful XX .

I was thinking this too. I think the landlord (Shedlord) was a disgrace and must be utterly cracked to have done this. But as well, having an 18 month old baby in the care of 3 adults who opt to home the child in a rented garden shed, using an oven for CH?! Hello? Do we not need running water, or perhaps a bathroom of some sort?

Why did they not just go to one of the social welfare offices and sit it out? Why not contact the Simon Community and say ’ we have a baba and we need a short term place to enable us to sort out a long term place?’

Shelters for abandoned or abused women spring to mind, some run very well by the Catholic Church these days I believe. St. V de P

Is there no other option… :unamused: