General Election, Ireland 2020 - Free Unicorns, Racism, Brick, Ugly, Housing, Tiocfaidh ár lá, Hearts & Minds, Transfers, Asylum, Hot Waters, Open Borders, Polls... Did someone say IMMIGRATION? :icon_eek:

It was pretty clear from his demeanour and the reaction of certain parishioners that this was not a choice for him. I remember him visiting my gran just before he left.

Has a government been formed yet? Any updates?

That would be an ecumenical matter! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well on rule of precedent how long can they faff about until it’s back to the polls?

…meaningful discussions on a government between Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil still appear as far away as ever, despite recent private contacts between prominent members of both.

Delegations from the two parties are expected to meet this week for a “policy exchange” before the Dáil assembles again on Thursday, but there is as yet no sign of full discussions on a possible coalition.

The economic effects of the measures taken to combat the possibility of a pandemic are already having an effect

Both Government and Fianna Fáil sources, however, say they expect outside events to push the two parties towards meaningful negotiations after St Patrick’s Day.

They can faff about for a while yet, it seems.

Martin said to be ‘rattled’ at meeting of FF TDs, many of whom are not happy with his unwillingness to speak to SF.

His political future may depend on whether Leo decides to give him a dig out…

What a turnout…

Will somebody please think of the Leinster Senior Cup…all changed, changed utterly…

FF/FG/GP was 14/1 after the Election. I’d say it’s odds on now

Would that pay out if they include a few indo’s to try keep the Greens in their place?

Not if any Independent is in the Cabinet.

PP is offering 2/1 on FF/FG/Greens but 5/2 on FF/FG/Greens/Independents

Has Eamon O’Cuiv identified a huge political problem for Ireland?

Basically, the upcoming election to the Seanad will elect 49 of the 60 members of that chamber. And any legislation that is passed by the Dáil must also pass the Seanad.

The difficulty is that the remaining 11 members of the Seanad must be appointed by the new Taoiseach, and we do not, as yet, have a new Taoiseach. So there is some question as to whether the new Seanad can even sit without a full complement of members.

As far as I can see, the constitution makes no provision for this kind of situation. It was written in the days of a reasonably stable political system when elections generally produced an obvious government. It did not anticipate months of political wrangling in the midst of a crisis.

There are a couple of immediate issues:

Varadkar, for example, cannot currently appoint 11 Senators. For one thing, he is only a caretaker Taoiseach, and there is no reason for the opposition parties to allow him to appoint his supporters to the Seanad for a five year term. That’s not a runner, even in a crisis, because if a new Government did emerge that did not include FG, that Government would lack a Seanad majority (the whole point of Taoiseach’s nominees is to make sure the Government has a built in majority in the upper chamber).

Second, even if the parties facilitated it, Varadkar cannot appoint Senators, constitutionally.

So what’s the solution? There are probably only two possible solutions:

• The Dáil agrees to elect Varadkar as Taoiseach, in return for a promise that he will resign, and that all his Seanad nominees will resign, as soon as the crisis has passed. In this scenario, Varadkar would agree to appoint non-partisan Senators (John Crown, anyone?) and nobody from Fine Gael.
  • The Dáil elects a new Taoiseach with a majority.

Scenario two has other difficulties though, because it likely means a major shift in Government personnel in the middle of a crisis. A new Taoiseach, Tánaiste, and Minister for Health. All three would take time to settle in and be briefed. It’s not ideal.

Scenario one has another problem, which is that it requires opposition TDs to take a very hard vote – they’d have to re-elect Varadkar as Taoiseach, or, at minimum, abstain to facilitate it.

Maybe the lawyers will find another way. But for now, it looks as if O’Cuiv has identified an important issue.

So Uncle Window would have grounded/stopped all flights on Jan 24th right… ya get me bud?

Leo didn’t do anything substantive for 4 weeks afaics, and that was not until he went to the US for his lighting dash and now he’s the man in some peoples eyes.

So here we are - we are where we are, nobody saw it coming, we just hit a wall and now we have our virtual shut down and virtual suspension of the GE, and yet LEO is the man of the moment.

sarcasm-> Have you seen Twitter? :slight_smile: <- sarcasm

On a different note though and not to pat myself on the back too much though by foreseeing current events…but I was a little wrong: there are massive economic consequences, everyone is massively inconvenienced - and people are dying anyway. :expressionless:

EDIT: Added sarcasm alert as it may not have been obvious…

Exactly, the journal is not exactly the Vox populi, but he is still the man of the moment. Never forget what he did for this country. Politicians have always been very good at washing their hands. We are lucky to have such an incredible skillset to bring to the table at this time. Truly inspiring.

Oi!!! You down the back, stop sniggering, I know what you’re thinking, this is serious!

… but seriously, I did not know moon-lighting on the job equated to real leadership, but he is the man of the moment so I guess on his day off, the Republic is in very safe and capable hands - Maybe the head of the HSE fills in or something? Job sharing is it, now the economy is in the toilet.

The Sheeple Are Lapping it up. Its Bizzare.

It shows you how effective the media is at suspending critical thinking and sudden bouts of cognitive dissonance in the casual observer. If I told you starting at the media was bad for your health, that it can lead to blindness would you believe me?

MSM makes you go blind. It is true. It really is true.