German Elections 2017

What you need to know about the German electorate - -> dw.com/en/what-you-need-to-k … a-40196296

Germany election: Martin Schulz profile - -> aljazeera.com/news/2017/09/g … 25311.html

The Rise and Fall of Leftist Populism in Germany - -> theatlantic.com/internation … sm/539088/

AfD sets populist course for heart of German politics - -> ft.com/content/fa447d66-9d1 … 2067fbf946

In pictures: Keeping (some) AfD posters just out of reach - -> politico.eu/interactive/in-p … -of-reach/

How Germany took in one million refugees but dodged a populist uprising - -> qz.com/1076820/german-election- … ist-upset/

EU rebels Hungary and Poland reaffirm anti-immigrant alliance - -> irishtimes.com/news/world/e … -1.3230872

Poland could seek war reparations from Germany, say parliament researchers - -> politico.eu/article/poland-c … searchers/

German states try to offload refugees on each other - -> wsws.org/en/articles/2016/0 … m-s06.html

Varoufakis Describes How Merkel Sacrificed Greece to Save the Franco-German Banks - -> newsclick.in/varoufakis-describ … rman-banks

German govt favours a Commerzbank-BNP Paribas merger -WirtschaftsWoche - -> reuters.com/article/commerz … SL5N1M20HO

Expectation is that Merkel forms yet another coalition government. Her governments decisions in the last term particularly in regard to the massive economic migration wave that Germany unleashed to deflect attention from the EU sovereign debt crisis (especially refusing to allow Greece default) and its continuing efforts to offload the problems caused by this policy onto other EU states are probably going to be the basis for political conflict for the next few years as more national sovereignty political movements (PC speak “the far right”) assert themselves.

Angela Merkel is punished at the ballot box as far-right party enters parliament for the first time - but her party wins the largest share of votes - -> dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ffice.html

Merkel’s dealmaking tested by German coalition choices - -> ft.com/content/162121b0-9c7 … 2067fbf946

Schadenfreude. Pure Schadenfreude.

Its a long time since I laughed this much when the first closing polls came in.

spiegel.de/international/germany/german-election-merkel-wins-and-afd-wins-seats-in-parliament-a-1169587.html

CDU/CSU lost almost one third of theirs seats. Absolutely catastrophic results for the CSU in Bavaria.

sueddeutsche.de/bayern/csu-bei-der-bundestagswahl-seehofer-erlebt-ein-debakel-1.3681435

SPD’s lost one third of their seats. Now a rump party. Now only 50 seats ahead of AfD. The Greens and Die Linke (DDR Kommies) did badly. The sane party, the FDP’s, are back around 70.

But the news of the night, the AfD, the party that said that maybe allowing in millions of illiterate muslim peasants was a very bad idea, is now the third largest party in the Bundestag. Around 90. Now where this get really interesting is that in large parts of Ossi-land (ex-DDR) AfD is now the second largest political party.

I think you have to go back to Henrich Bruning to find a Chancellor as incompetent as Merkel.

So I wonder how long the Ganja Coalition lasts.

:mrgreen:

geez, the greens in power in germany could be catastrophic for the whole of europe.

merkel & schulz, the original tweedledee and tweedledumb. why did schulz think he could win on an “i love the eu even more” platform?

On the occasion of his 75th birthday , what drives Wolfgang Schäuble? - google translate] -> faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/w … ageIndex_1

Nice breakdown of voting patterns. Very like the FN in France. Just like the FN did AfD are becoming the party of ordinary working class people.

spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/wahlergebnisse-volksparteien-laufen-waehler-weg-afd-und-fdp-profitieren-a-1169611.html

Well thats the end of the Bundesrepublik as we knew it. I wonder what comes next. Its also the end of Junkers Federal Europe. The FDP are almost as ant-federalist as the AfD. Plus they want to rollback Draghis ECB printing presses.

Looks like Jamaica is DOA…

socialeurope.eu/germany-happens-next

Plus this is the first time I’ve seen in English what has been talked about sotto voice in the German media for the last five years.

By “internal” devaluation he means high unemployment and no economic growth for the “naughty” Eurozone countries in the foreseeable future.

Then there are the antics of companies like VW…

ecfr.eu/article/commentary_eastern_resentment_of_germany_spells_trouble_for_berlin_and_brus

how right you were, sir.
the jamaican option is off. I;m sure that Germany will function very well without a government

That’s not really a German or VW phenomenon though, is it?
The way the story is presented is in any case incredibly sloppy undermining its apparent point.

Bundesbank warns of German real estate bubble - -> dw.com/en/bundesbank-warns-o … a-38702692

Germany’s property boom - -> dw.com/en/germanys-property-boom/a-39973513

Merkel promises full employment, less tax and more houses - -> independent.ie/business/wor … 91541.html
July 4 2017

German property market rockets from safe haven to Ireland-grade crisis - -> irishtimes.com/business/con … -1.3230496
Sep 23, 2017

German rent-control law violates constitution, court rules - -> theguardian.com/world/2017/ … ourt-rules

Collapse of German coalition talks deals Merkel a blow; new election likely - -> washingtonpost.com/world/eu … story.html