Get read for a return to rapid growth

This doesnt help inspire confidence in our taoiseach, what does he actually base these woppers on?

The Taoiseach has said it is not all doom and gloom on the economic front and people can begin to have confidence about the future.

In a speech in Loughrea, Co Galway last night Mr Cowen said he was right to be optimistic that Ireland could return to rapid growth as early as next year.

He told his audience that the European Commission has stated that the Government’s budget was the correct budget and that the ESRI and most economists now say that the Government’s strategy for the public finances is the right one.

Brian Cowen said the Government’s plan for stabilising the economy was working and the smart economy plan would ensure Ireland emerges from the recession with good prospects for sustainable growth and jobs in the future.

rte.ie/news/2009/0529/economy.html

I can guarantee you that Frank Fahey was sitting very close to him on the platform in Loughrea , I can further guarantee that Frank Fahey probably wrote the speech for Brian .

I feel so disillusioned when I read an article like this. Cowen knows the data just doesn’t stack up for an economic recovery anytime in the next few years, and yet, again and again, he denies the situation and tries to tell us we need to be optimistic.

The f*cker and his government need to fall – and soon :angry:

Its shocking to think that he expects to believe this old tripe, you have to ask also where are the media and why they don’t ask the hard questions like, what on earth do you base this on mr.cowen. I’m growing very weary of these lies though, FF need to be punished badly in next weeks election, its our only hope of getting rid of these idiots.

It’s so transparent that he’s desperately and pathologically trying to ‘cover up’ for the serious errors made by himself on his watch as finance minister, and in addition, for the pervasive corruption and culture of Fianna Fail that has major culpability in bringing us all to this juncture.

There are even elements of ‘covering up for this covering up’. It will certainly make a classic case study for management and psychology students in the future (and dare I say it, it will likely figure in the evidence of the criminal courts of the future). But for now, this is certainly NOT the way to solve any of the real problems we have.

Fat f*ck.

This is the same Cowen who, when asked about the FF campaign recently said “Morale is very good in the party…” . How ridiculous when we all know that on the doorsteps they are either getting an angry rant or a door slammed in their face!

This latest speech is further proof that he is either (a) stupid or (b) he thinks the rest of us are.

Either way, it’s time for him to go.

‘Mr Cowen also said the fall in tax revenues appeared to be bottoming out and there were some signs of a renewal of interest in house purchases especially amongst first-time buyers.’

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8073249.stm

Irish economy ‘is not all gloom’

Brian Cowen’s party is likely to be punished by recession-hit voters
The Irish Prime Minister has said it is not all doom and gloom on the economic front and people can begin to have confidence about the future.

Brian Cowen said he was right to be optimistic that Ireland could return to rapid growth as early as next year.

He pointed to improving trends in tax receipts and some signs of a renewal in the property market.

Mr Cowen was addressing a rally of his Fianna Fail party, which faces a drubbing in elections next month.

He said his government’s plan for stabilising the economy was working and the “smart economy” plan would ensure Ireland emerges from the recession with good prospects for sustainable growth and jobs in the future.

Confidence

“There are more tough but necessary decisions ahead to secure our financial and economic security. We will not flinch from making these decisions,” he told the campaign meeting.

The fall in tax receipts that started after the bursting of a property bubble appears to be bottoming out, which together with government spending cuts will ensure Ireland’s debt to GDP ratio will stay well below the European average, Mr Cowen said.

Heavily oversubscribed bond sales recently showed investors had confidence in Irish fiscal management, with signs of renewed interest in house purchases set to boost the domestic economy, he added.

Many analysts agree Ireland’s small, open economy will be among the first to benefit from an international upswing, but some fear the tax rises unveiled in two emergency budgets in October and April will stifle economic growth.

Although one Irish bond sale last week was almost five times oversubscribed, many investors have given all Irish assets a wide berth after a string of banking scandals.

The government has also received mixed reviews for a new “bad bank” plan which could cause a doubling in national debt.

So the fundamentals are sound then ?

This is great news, I’ll just run down to the estate agents and get my gold plated chequebook out.

Cowen said in Feb that unemployment MAY hit 400,000 by the end of the year, its going to do that by next week.

Cowen told us that the housing market was fundamentally sound.

Cowen told us that Coughlan is competent.

I may ignore this little gem of advice.

Are these the same economists who have all told him that Nama is the not the best option?? A bit of selective listening here I think…

His logic is twofold.

1. I’m in an election, therefore it’s ok to lie.

2. Because the ESRI claim I’m implenting the correct policies, that means that the economy
    is poised for rapid growth.

The first is to be expected.

The second shows how dangerously incompetent Cowan is. Simply implementing the correct policies doesn’t
suggest that the recovery will be swift. Even if we accept that the policies are the correct ones (and I don’t)
the recovery will still take a long long time. It certainly won’t be rapid growth.

Some will be duped by this, that’s fine, that’s elections. Many of them want to be duped, they want
and excuse to vote Fianna Fail. They don’t want to face up to the fact that they party they’ve devoted
their life to has destroyed the country’s economy (AGAIN!!!).

But the rest of us…You’re not fooling us Brian. And this time there are enough of us to give you the
thumping you deserve.

-Rd

Am I completely wrong here (probably ) but looking at what Carl wrote,
“Cowen said in Feb that unemployment MAY hit 400,000 by the end of the year, its going to do that by next week.”

Does this mean they’ve scheduled the one of the most critical elections in their history for the day after the live register figures come out.

I guess once the ECB heard this they said someone put something out before this Clowen gets everyone in the merde

Course theres a long history of the ECB and FF seeing things differently.

Circa 2004
FF - Fundamentals are fine, we’ve a budget surplus, when we have it we spend it and when we dont we wont.
ECB - Fundamentals ae not sound your running a structural deficit. You should be saving more, spending less and when you wont have it you wont be able to rein in spending.

Cowen came out all guns blazing on Enda Kenny, ‘spinnning jenny’, thats why I despise kenny, whilst FF have fucked the nation over and whilst Bertie had a laugh in the tribunals before the last election, sanctimonious prick Kenny holds the high moral ground saying i wont sink to their level, well thanks for fuck all Enda , whilst you do that FF are still running the nation over a cliff.

with this level of denial they’ll have to retreat to the bunker.

Very good point. They’ll have to find some way to delay publication to save themselves.

Presumably we’ll have the usual moritorium on election coverage, and they’ll try and get unemployment figures
classified as election coverage.

I’m looking forward to the release of the new Fianna Fail Politician Unemployment Figures on June 6th.

-Rd

I just see there that Joe Higgins is up to 9%, same as Mary Lou and 2% above FF Eoin. He could get a pretty big rush in the next week with the Anglo figures.
(not completely off topic Provost :wink: )

Is Eoin “I’ve just discovered that my priority Is Jobs” Ryan from Fianna Fail?

Wow…he really put one over on me there. The small logos, the Blue posters.
The Blue car driving around covered in Blue Posters.
He almost got me.

-Rd