Get rid of any HMV vouchers...while you can

HMV in warning over future - Jamie Grierson → irishexaminer.com/business/h … 16964.html

HMV only being worth £10m is a quite amazing stat.

If HMV closes down it will be the end of civilization - in my world anyway!

I can remember a time when Dublin city was absolutely FULL of record shops. Golden Discs had umpteen branches around town (now there’s only one - in the Jervis Centre). Likewise with Dolphin Discs - their last branch closed fairly recently in Talbot Street. Was it Murray Records that had a shop in Grafton Street? And just last week - in the first week of December - my local independent record shop closed down.

I have spent endless hours - and money - both as boy and man in record shops. What is wrong with people nowadays - is the music not as good as it used to be? Why do people prefer downloads to a physical CD? Or am I just a dinosaur (no need to answer that!).

I maintain there is still a place on the high street for HMV, albeit a slimmed down version!

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to find music I want to listen to in record stores. They seem to pile the place floor to ceiling with a select dozen or so acts, but keep almost zero stock of anything else. It seems to me that 20 years ago most stores had a much broader inventory; perhaps fewer copies of whatever’s flavour of the month but much more variation.
Anyway, even though I enjoy browsing in a physical store, I’m increasingly buying online because that way I can find what I want.

is the music not as good as it used to be?
Have you turned on the radio lately?
Music in almost exclusively aimed at teenagers.

The dynamic has changed, totally and utterly and completely. People don’t want to buy album for €20.
If you want to make money in music, you have to tour. If you want my money, you’ll have to sing for your supper.

As a young lad the number of times I spent all my money on some new album from some band, only to find that it was utter dross - 1 good song and 10 fillers.

Now I download and listen.
When they tour I’ll go see them, then they can have my shilling.
I might buy a t-shirt and maybe an album if I’m really impressed.

Your album is not there to make money, it is an advertisement to get people to come and see you.

As regards HMV, much like Xtra Vision it is a dead model
An on-line retailer can stock multiples of what a high street store can stock.
A CD/DVD is not like a coat or a pair of jeans, you don’t have to try it on before buying it.

A new and emerging factor will be that most people have cd/dvd burners and lots have label printers for disks.
Download lossless audio, burn to disk, print album art on disk and make as many copies as you like.

Not so. There’s good music on BBC Radio 3 and sometimes on Lyric.

Still can’t buy it in HMV, though.

Clearly another example of music shifting from hardware to software.

Also Spotify will have a big effect. I’ll almost certainly sign up to it - the range of stuff available is staggering. Just need to integrate it with car/stereo and you’d be set up.

Why not pirate it all? Spotify give SFA to artists.

Can’t get BBC3 out west, I like a bit of Lyric, ‘The JK ensemble’ is a great show for variety.

There was a pirate radio station in Galway a while back, Rascal Radio.
‘Non Stop Anti-Pop’ was the tag line. It got popular, then it got shut-down.

Pin FM - Nobody tells us what to think!

sites.google.com/site/monkkbfr/home

Physical copies of digital media are no longer required. CDs , DVDs, seem to not have had a shelf-life longer than the cassette/VHS as a format. And chances are that the chart CDs can be bought in any large supermarket. I would guess that DVD sales would have kept the record shops going from 2000 onwards. I have no idea about computer games. Whatever few CDs I have bought, I got them online.

Besides, don’t you all know that economics is the new rock n roll! Popular music is a spent force, I’m afraid to say.

Morgan Kelly going on Prime Time and interjecting over Brendan Keenan with “that’s just nonsense!”, now that’s where the innovations in edginess these days.

Amazing how Pirates will only play the good stuff. then Obese O’Brien got them all shut down :unamused:

this +1,000,000

Here’s a really good article on retailing and how it can in no way compete with online distribution of CDs, video and to a lesser extent books. It also touches on how the death of the record store, book store etc. may be a good thing for society, culturally at least.

wired.com/wired/archive/12.10/tail.html

tldr version - record stores like HMV only stock generic bland rubbish, because it’s the only thing that may sell in enough volume to cover their costs. Therefore record companies will only pay artists to create generic bland rubbish.

Love that long tail article. Fascinating stuff.

So true about big stores stocking generic products. Big profit requires the dumbing down of the people.

Maintaining a decent database of pirated music is a pain in the hole particularly when you are changing over computers ever couple of years. Spotifiy has it all there in one place and makes it much easier to browse and discover new music.

External Hard drive makes it a bit easier to manage.

HMV could have done something really innovative but they are flogging a dead horse for the last few years trying to shift CD’s and DVDs

I’ve read the Long Tail, it’s a good article (and book). What someone could maybe pull off on the high street is a browse-download-burn business model where you have access to the world of content but leave the store with a physical copy.Aan experience store where you can have a coffee, browse a few shelves as well as computer terminals, talk to knowledgable staff and download music for either physical or device usage.

In fact, if I was running Google, I’d take a punt on spending 10m quid to buy the whole chain and re-brand them as HMV Play stores, selling only Android devices and accessories and leapfrogging Apple’s strong position in music retailing.

Great post and an excellent idea.