Gig/'Sharing'/Rentier economy/Airbnb effect

propertyindustryeye.com/prop … to-airbnb/

thetimes.co.uk/article/dubl … -c536gzhdm

smh.com.au/business/the-econ … xxh7l.html

Is this a whole load of nothing or will Airbnb have a negative unintended consequence? What about the wider sharing economy, more unintended consequences?

Sorry what’s the sharing economy, it’s all a bit more 1984 these each and every day.

If money is exchanging hands on foot of some kind of contract, surely then this is capitalism 101 no?

presumably, the idiotic rent pressure restrictions are basically null and void if you rent out your property this way?

Or another way of looking at it is rent pressure restrictions are precisely why you rent it out this way.

Yes you`re right, however things like Uber, carsharing, crowdfunding and Airbnb type things are often referred to as the ‘sharing economy’ (despite some being capitalism 101 and some being genuine sharing). Its probably all worthy of discussion (its why I added the catchall phrase to the title rather than just airbnb in case people want to have a wider discussion)

Airbnb isn’t really as much as an issue as it’s been made out to be.

irishtimes.com/business/construction/time-to-stop-scapegoating-airbnb-and-start-building-houses-1.3145608

Airbnb is emblematic of hyper-rentier behaviour in relation to residential property and is an important part of the mood music.

Also the homeless person isn’t thinking of renting the penthouse, but someone else in the market should be.

Also Temple Bar apartments don’t have magical planning status. It simply isn’t legal to let it as a hotel room.

Don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

Fragmenting the occupancy of a residential property in a residential block to maximise rental returns to capitalise on hotel room shortage. With no concern for impact on neighbours, planning law, or the wider community. It’s a form of anti social behaviour actually

According to inside Airbnb there are 1375 entire properties for rent in Dublin City (excluding dl rathdown, fingal etc )with high availability through the the year, so 'Airbnb 'properties. There are 1150 properties for rent in the entire county of Dublin on daft today.
They need to tackle supply in every way they can including the reasons people are renting properties as airbnbs rather than longer term homes
But they will probably just ban this without actually enforcing the ruling

What a disaster.
Just looked at Ashbourne., 1 place listed.
Maynioth just 15 and many were very expensive and not attractive even for a person on a good salary. Very few three beds listed

Total and utter cluster&%k.

Have an apartment in Smithfield,when next it comes free I am putting it on the AirNb site.I foolishly kept the rent low for the tenants I had and I am fucked if I putting it back on the market at that price.
Who knows if this AirnB experiment ge0s well then I will do the same for others.

Its gotten to the state where Govt interference in the rental market has driven out 1000s of landlords.I cant keep track of the rules any more.

6,700+ listings in Dublin
insideairbnb.com/dublin/

49,300+ in London
insideairbnb.com/london/

forbes.com/sites/niallmccar … d478284d1b

The solution to everything is ‘just build’.
Increasing supply can accommodate airbnb ***and ***lower rents.

It is most definitely the answer to the rental market.

And I cant figure out why its not happening.

Follow the money & see who benefits.

Thanks. I couldn’t remember the name of this tracking site but I knew it existed and it had been referenced here in the past. Something does not seem right. How can the total listing for Dublin on Airbnb seem to double since this was posted on the original airbnb thread (merge required) in June 2016?

I don’t think daft listing for dublin has fluctuated by anything close to this figure. It seems for Dublin it drifted below 1,500 around 2015 down to almost 1,200 in more recent times. Total supply for Dublin lettings has been chronic for years.

I don’t have time right this minute but can anyone explain the current figures. Is it possible we have some insitutional power playing on airbnb on the taxpayers behalf? :nin

the sharing economy is a nice little earner for those who already own dwellings/cars/assets.

but it means the cost of dwellings/cars etc. increases because they can be rented out* and hence the renting of these assets is factored into the selling price.

In regards to cars, cars have limited mileage therefore the argument that the car is unporiductive sitting in your driveway or parking space is total misnomer.

I’m not sure that’s entirely correct regarding a car.
Mileage isn’t the only thing that “wears” or depreciates a car.
Age does too - even in the absence of any mileage.

The fixed cost of having access to a car includes motor tax and possibly car park/space rental. Also annual service regardless of usage

Plenty of people just want/need a car for the weekend/mid week