Gig/'Sharing'/Rentier economy/Airbnb effect

That’s appalling.
What website are you looking at (you know, for science) ?

Wha’ like, like Andrew Broad like?

Today Airbnb, has 9,530 listings for Dublin.

4,896 (51.4%)
entire home/apartments

4,458 (46.8%)
private rooms

176 (1.8%)
shared rooms

Airbnb hosts can list entire homes/apartments, private or shared rooms.

Depending on the room type, availability, and activity, an airbnb listing could be more like a hotel, disruptive for neighbours, taking away housing, and illegal.

If even 20% of the 4896 number make it back onto the rental market then it will provide a huge amount of competition out there. I wonder how many of the 4896 are continuously on the market as maybe some people just dipped their toe in the Airbnb market and withdrew from it (e.g. listed their place (PPR) while taking 2 weeks elsewhere)

Finally got the comparative London figure: 77,096

How will a once off addition 1000 apartments to the stock solve anything long term, it’s just a blip in supply?

If all 5000 switched from airbnb to long term rental in a short time space like 3 months then it would have a significant once off impact.

There is something like 1400 units on daft currently (and quite a number of these are corporate lets) so if an semi-immediate injection of 1000 comes on stream then it will have some impact on the rental market. The question I would have is how many of these units are not returned to the rental market but are put up for sale by the owners who don’t want to revert to being normal landlords.

All of the above is predicated on these rules being effectively enforced of course…:thinking:

That’s a good point. Take Dublin, rental, Houses.

391 listings - not until (approx) page 8 of @ 18 listings per page, do you find a house 3K or lower.

Reducing to 241 property listing potentially 3K per month or less. Lets use this a line between corporate and non-corporate listings for the sake of argument.

If these 241 listed house rentals were 4 beds (which is being optimistic) that’s 241 x 4 beds = 964 beds, but it’s probably less in reality.

Adding 100 hundred extra people looking for somewhere to live probably acts like 1000 or more under these terms.

Then you see figures like 20, 30 sharing a typical semi-d, maybe exceptional but could easily be 100 instances if such overcrowding.

241 x 20 = 4820 occupants, 5 people to a bed @ 4 beds a house or 6.66 per bed @ 3 bed a house.

A required line in any good sociological study nowadays. I could tell from the profile photo but he made me wait till paragraph 3 to confirm my prejudice. What a tease !