Giz a job / You're sacked! - Jobs / Redundancy watch...

independent.ie/business/iris … 12987.html
google to announce new datacentre.

don’t expect it to cost anywhere near 150m
the very few jobs it will create on an ongoing basis will be small, relatively low paid and there won’t be much work in third parties coming out of it but there will be a huge amount of labour coming out of the building process.
The building my office is adjacent to is a datacentre which is being refitted at the moment and there has been huge amounts of expensive labour going in to it. On Friday I couldn’t pass by as they had the mobile cranes in.
I think the article overstates the competitive advantage of Ireland’s climate since everyone is migrating to low power hardware and low power hardware = less heat to disipate.

I wonder whether running data-centres in ireland is more about adding substance to any claims for booking revenue in ireland for tax purposes rather than operating efficiency. if the actual service is provided from ireland then it would seem more reasonable to tax profits there - and reduce the profits made by the regional sales offices (in the uk e.g.)

i’ve no inside knowledge to back this up, just the fact that all the major cloud / as-a-service providers are building centres here - and they definitely didn’t come for our telco network or a society whose fear of energy generation / transmission would make an amazonian tribe blush

-nb

absolutely agree.
I don’t see why climate is a particular advantage of putting a data centre in Ireland. Sure, the climate is ok, but not much better than a lot of other countries in the region (oddly enough, given that climate doesn’t change crisply as you cross national boundaries).

It’s not just the mild temperatures, it’s the free water cooling. :wink:

Ireland’s climate is a significant advantage, you need much less cooling than you would in other parts of Europe. Every million euro you have to spend on running chillers is a million euro you can’t spend on running servers.

It’s not much different from the rest of the north western seaboard, though. Are companies rushing to put server farms in the UK, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands or north west France? After all, electricity is cheaper in a lot of other countries.

While climate has some bearing, I suspect that taking pre-emptive action to protect their tax strategies has a lot to do with it, as mentioned above.

Maybe data protection and security is high up on their list of priorities…as well as the ole tax-i-roo. Recently google moved a massive data centre build to Taiwan instead of HK. They probably get cheaper land and electricity in Taiwan, but I can’t help but feeling that it’s to keep it out of mainland China’s reach. For such a massive company google are very secretive about what they do and why they do it. By putting the centre in Ireland they make it harder for the UK/US intelligence agencies to access the data, legally or illegally.

I’d be interested to know to many days a year you can cool with fresh air in Ireland given its moisture content, not many I’d bet. Given that power is expensive i expect situating data centers in eire is a tax decision.

Many of our Tier1 Non-US Customers look for assurances that our datacentres are not in the US.
Since the US appears to be engaged in Industrial espionage, not being a US Company and not being located in the US wins us business.
Is the US engaged in industrial espionage on behalf of large US Multi-nationals? I don’t know but the perception is out there that they are.

The weather thing is a stalking horse at best. It’s all about tax, cheap land and proximity to other stuff. I also wonder whether the IDA have grant-aided this much. Promises of “de knowdedge economy” and all that.

The bulk of ongoing jobs created won’t push much above minimum wage.

Agreed, the majority of the people working on servers in a datacentre at OS level, forget about application or DB level are outsourced to India and working remotely. There are only a small number of people working locally in datacentres.
Once the server goes in to a slot it stays there until the end of its depreciation cycle, joins the cloud and is spliced up in to Virtual machines untouched by human hand.

Majority on minimum wage in a datacentre? :open_mouth:

uk-amazon.icims.com/jobs/search … 28–Dublin

Three pages of jobs - titles like system engineer, network engineer, devops manager, senior HR manager, software engineer - network automation.

I used to have a cabinet in a tier 1 datacentre in Dublin and I never met or interacted with anyone up there who was ‘procedure driven’.

last time I had to slot a special server in to the datacentre I was assisted by a newbie in the datacentre but the majority of people in my company associated with the datacentre are very well paid; there just aren’t many of them to be paid.

130 jobs Dublin and Galway:

rte.ie/news/2014/0221/505728 … nd-galway/

Epostrader to create 30 new Dublin jobs
fxcentre.com/news.asp?3144599
Never heard of them. Looked at the site and it’s rubbish. Contact details are 2 mobile phone numbers. I think you can mark this down as 30 jobs that won’t be appearing any time soon.

160 jobs to go at Bristol-Myers Squibb

rte.ie/news/2014/0306/600602 … rs-squibb/

I doubt they do direct air chilling, it’ll be chilling water as a heat exchange, no?

As far as I can tell, almost note of them are datacentre jobs (except this one). They are working in Amazon’s operations centre, probably mostly in Kilmainham. They could as easily be in Oz in terms of proximity to the DC.

You’re thinking of a carrier-neutral DC I presume. A corporate DC generally has people who add/remove servers and cables. The NOC-grade people or systems engineers for Google/Amazon/FB will not be based there, certainly not in any quantity. They may occasionally drop in for a day, but the jobs created at the DC are quite low-level.

I remember when Google was hiring for the in-DC jobs a few years ago being surprised at how low the pay was. You had to be quite physically fit though in order to lift all the servers.

There will of course be a couple of electrical engineers and HVAC guys there on an ongoing basis.

Edit: Found a google job. Payscale not listed, but the skills are things like 1 year of Linux experience and 2 years working with PCs.

Less than one quarter of foreign nationals assigned PPSNs in 2007 had employment activity in Ireland in 2012

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ivity2012/

Software firm VCE to create 150 jobs in Cork:

independent.ie/business/iris … 65721.html