GM Potatoes

Time to boycott all potatoes to drive home the message to the puppets and their masters?

rte.ie/news/2012/0726/potato … ified.html

Well, their car business was shite so I suppose it’s time General Motors diversified.

I’m sort of cautious on GM, but not unduly so.

However, I wonder whether hasty GM adoption, even on small scale, may spoil a good marketing proposition (green, GM free, etc.,) that could be sustainable for a small country like Ireland within the food industry.

Or maybe it’s all part of a plan. Step 1: blight immune spuds. Step 2: time-machine. Step 3: go back in time, prevent famine, and return to 2011 where Ireland has taken over the world.

This will be just another chapter in the genocide against humanity. I sincerely believe that we should all refuse to buy ANY potato products. Collapse the business or at least show them what happens when you face “collapse” think of it as a publicly actioned mock GM crop collapse.

**Plus there is no such thing as “small scale” in nature. It doesn’t exist. **

NAMA lies last night and now FOOD plunder today! Melty is thine head.

:smiley:
I grow a few potatoes in an allotment, have experienced blight so would cautiously welcome well controlled GM trials.

…and mine are surviving ok this year so far, thanks to Growmore NPK 7.3.5. and Dithane 945…and they are lovely.
Organic, (think religion) is largely for fanatics and extemists only, but never has and never will feed the world.

Ah, that brings me back to a TV ad from the long ago…

<deep, sonorous voice>
“Dithane: spray with it, stay with it”.

I always fancied it was developed by a Scottish horticulturalist with a Shakespearean bent: "“Die, Thane”. But I fear the truth is more prosaic.

I reckon the only argument against GM – and its one worth considering – is that it might just create enough “Frankenfood” panic to damage our food industry. Other than that, bring it on a.s.a.p.

Are there any allotments in SCD?

I think it would be a terrific idea.

Mr. O’Gara, if your out there.

Ultimately it is about power. Do you feel those who crave power by any means have on the whole done a good job so far?

What are you arguing we bring on? GM everything?

my Dad used to grow potatoes long before Organic was in vogue, even with sprays it was ultimately a waste of time, because of worms AFAIK

not exactly SCD but on the way to Eniskerry, there are some allotments - advertised on the road

I am mostly impartial towards GM food but I definitely need to read more. The biggest worries that I see with GM food are the creation of infertile strains so that you are forced to buy seed every year and have no mechanism to produce your own seed and/or the possibility of copyright/patenting seed, meaning that you have to pay up to one of the original producers even if you use seed that you grew yourself. I would have major issues with either of these possibilities in relation to GM food.

What is the problem with having better potatoes? We’ve been playing around with the genetics of our plants and animals for millennia and it has served us well.

The traditional methods left over a million dead.

+1. Thanks for reminding me. I’m in favour of GM, but only as an “Open Source” initiative.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooster_potato

Thought Teagasc had already done GM spuds?
I read somewhere before that it has a high resistance to blight and that would be one of the reasons for it being so popular with growers…

This site:
europotato.org/display_descr … me=Rooster
says that it has high resistance to blight on tubers but not on foliage :confused:

I normally stay away from the more esoteric discussions here.

There is a difference between breeding strains of plants and animals by selecting characteristics of different breeds, cross-breeding them, selecting the most successful and continuing the process until the desired result is obtained and genetic modification. With the first, you are breeding potatoes with potatoes. The end-result of this process is a plant that will grow normally and will generate seeds from which other plants can be grown. With GM, you are introducing non-plant genetic material.

GM is about creating patented and proprietary intellectual property, either directly or indirectly, that will then control access to the technology through cost and increased revenue and margin for suppliers. New plant strains will be developed that are sterile and for which seeds have to be bought rather than being able to be grown. The strains will respond or not respond to specific chemicals, either fertilisers or pesticides or both, that must be bought.

GM is not about creating feeding the world. It is about locking-in growers of food to specific suppliers of proprietary products and creating a long-term revenue stream through such locking-in actions. In the case of third-world farmers, it is a way of channelling aid payments to GM developers. So aid given for third-world agriculture will be made dependent on buying GM seeds so the money represents a subsidy to GM developers and will go back to the first-world.

I really do not understand how any risk management analysis would not have identified the significant negative risks associated with such actions by Teagasc - diminishment of Ireland’s green food image, loss of tourism revenue, possible use of such actions by tourism competitors, risk of contamination - that would not be outweighed by any potential positive returns

+1

Pity you don’t contribute more to the ‘esoteric’ discussions…

There is no way back from GM, it’s not something we can undo. Very, very disappointed to see it. Origin Green my eye.

Barstool commentary. Worthless.

@jxbr +++

Of course it’s a money-making venture. Implying that it will end food shortage anywhere is plain nuts. The opposite is more likely. Want it? - let me see your money. No money? Can you work?

Good things to be said about this country are becoming fewer and fewer.

Two very persuasive points.

I’m much less concerned about the Frankenfoods angle. Introducing non-potato DNA to a potato is still I think very much akin to selective breeding as you describe it, but helping out by introducing a genetic mutation not seen in nature. It is still a viable plant that grows naturally, but enhanced by some slice of genetic material that makes it resistant to a disease.

The point about Cargill, Monsanto and the rest of the big bad boys of world agri-business controlling the food chain is more chilling. The extended risk that comes as a conclusion is that non-GM strains of popular foods are edged out: killed by pesticides to which GM crops are invunerable, allowed to become extinct because they produce such small yields by comparison to GM variants. The end result being that all commercially grown crops of staple foods are from patented variants of nature.

I would dearly like to see a situation where no living thing can be patented.

GM is about adding genes for specific traits, like blight resistance but other properties also. Most likely they would use genes from a naturally occuring potato that has blight resistance as opposed to animals.

Commercial potatoes grow from tubers(small spuds), not seeds but typically the ensuing offspring of seeds so it would probably be impossible to create sterility for potatoes. In any case this already exists with most F1 Hybrids of traditional crossbred seeds wherby the ensuing offspring would grow but be useless.

Yes there could be IP etc, but this effectivly already exists with current potatoes. The roosters you buy were developed by Teagasc, and they control the "certified seed potatoes " for them, the ones that commercial growers use.
Yes you can use some of your bag from Tesco and they shall grow(and I have), but maybe they are not as good/disease resistant as the original “certified” ones. However potato seed are not commercially viable after a few generations.

So GM is like any other technology. It can be used for good or evil.
Ireland as a potato producing and dependant country has to at least evaluate this technology to see if it is useful here.