Goatstown and Stillorgan

Hi there,

We are looking to buy in south Dublin, and are looking at Goatstown and Stillorgan.

What would be people’s opinions of the Taney area (Taney Crescent, Taney Grove etc) and Drummartin? Also, the Leopardstown Drive area of Stillorgan?

This part of Dublin suits from a work, family, schools point of view. Are there other areas offering more bang for buck from a family raising viewpoint that don’t require a big commute to the Clonskeagh/Ballsbridge part of the city?

It may be me, but prices still seem pretty punchy. We’re looking in the 600k-750k bracket (former if there is some limited amount of work to be done, latter if completely walk-in condition).

Thanks,

E

I don’t know all that much about Taney/Drummartin so I’ll leave that to others to respond. The estate around Leopardstown Drive and the estates nearby are all good places to live with good parks and vicinity to the Luas and to the NII/46A bus corridor. Also close to Sandyford Business Park where there is a great deal of employment in IT and financial services centered these days.

If you want to broaden out your house search beyond areas in Leopardstown/Stillorgan/Dundrum then I would suggest that you look at the similar suburban areas, with houses in a broadly similar price range, to be found on the other side of the N11. So basically the similar estates that are to be found in the entire area from Carysfort Avenue all the way over to Cabinteely. To include areas such as Avondale, Fleurville, Mount Albany, Springhill, Stradbrook, Richmond, Windsor, Ardagh, Granville, Hollypark, Belmont, Foxrock Park, Beech Park, South Park, Clonkeen, Cornelscourt, The Park, Cabinteely, Monaloe, Granville, Woodlands, Johnstown etc. etc and all the other similar areas/roads in between.

All these are good areas to live with houses mostly built in the 60s, 70s, 80s so come with decent gardens, good amenities and a range of excellent primary and secondary schools, both public and private, in these areas. There are quite a range of house types and sizes and thus prices in these areas but there should be a decent pick to suit your price range. The closer you can get to either the 46A/N11 corridor or the DART line then the better will be your public transport links to areas such as Clonskeagh (with a walk from the bus) or D4, off bus or DART, that seem to where you want to commute from a work perspective. Being close to the 46A/N11 bus corridor is also handy if your kids will be going to either UCD or Trinity in the future…

Thanks a mil for that. Will check all of those out as well.

I’d skip Fleurville if I were you, house quality pretty bad (vs price) based on the one I viewed a few years back.

Thanks all.

For those experienced in house buying, would you look at a house above your budget in the hope that the vendors would take an offer.

There are two houses that I have seen online that are about 40k over our budget in terms of their asking price, but seem to have been on the market for a while (5 or 6 months from what I can see). I don’t want to waste people’s time by arranging viewings for houses that are above our budget, but is it worth asking the estate agents concerned if the vendors are open to negotiation on price and saying what our budget is?

I’d suggest looking at the price changes for those areas on Myhome to see whether prices have a habit of changing there. Also look at prices on the PPR. Remember these are asking prices - the median asking price for Dublin is 395k (and has been for most of this year) and the median selling price per the PPR has been around 340k and is now falling. I’d say the price of the places you are looking at would be above the median so I wouldn’t say a 40k cut is unreasonable. Do some research, get your facts together, show the EA you are serious and present your argument .

Thanks metalmike.

It looks bad if you are an estate agent and you haven’t gotten any bids on a house in a long time. Some offer is better than none I would think. But explain that depending on condition etc, you may not be willing to meet the asking price. Don’t give them your budget!

Estate agents care how they are going to tell the owners what kind of bid they have, and why it is very different to the “value” they told them initially.