Grappling with the housing crisis: Fresh approaches needed

Roughly 400k a house in Tipperary with solar panels and the works

‘They want us to drop our culture and throw it aside’ - Traveller families won’t move into €1.7m homes without stables and land
independent.ie/irish-news/t … 94115.html

independent.ie/irish-news/c … 34491.html

I read somewhere this one has an after tax income of 51k and obviously doesn’t have to worry about the opportunity cost of working.

The activists need another poster child. Peter Casey is quite photogenic :angry:

When all the benefits and the HAP payments are added in she gets a little over €50k from the taxpayer/government. Any gratitude?

On being ask what she expects in the budget

independent.ie/irish-news/n … 98652.html

The homeless activists/media have gotten all they can out of her, she is of no use to them now.

Galway City Council confirms it gave an affordable house at a discounted price to one of its senior managers – who subsequently rented it out to tenants.
It also sold affordable houses at discount prices to two further staff members.
businesspost.ie/news/afford … ate-428562

Domestic abuse victims are not being counted in official homelessness totals because there may be a “political issue” about the number tipping over 10,000, Minister for Children Katherine Zappone said.
(I don’t have a link)
That’s atop all the other fudging of the figures happening

Why would somebody want to include domestic abuse victims in the homeless statistics? In many cases the victim does not want to stay in an unsupervised property where their ex-partner can pop-over for a quick visit to vent their frustrations. Is Zappone using the homeless numbers to push the domestic abuse agenda?

Politics :angry:

Any idea where Gemma O’Doherty gets these figures?

Table 2.9 here for the housing lists point :

housing.gov.ie/sites/defaul … ndings.pdf

This shows that 25% of ‘Households’ on the Social Housing lists in 2018 are non nationals - I don’t know which arse cheek she scratched to get the 1 in 3 figure from. Individuals are not disaggregated in housing assessments as far as I know.

If she was looking to go full racist on that stat she would discover 6.9% of Households applying are headed by a non EEA national and a whopping 484 households headed by a refugee are on SH lists out of a national total of 78K households. I presume this doesn’t lend itself to whatever cockamamie agenda she is peddling this week.

is 25% unacceptably high? given immigrants are presumably more likely to be in low income employment and be of family forming age- notwithstanding the fact that Irish people in other EEA countries have reciprocal rights to go on a housing waiting lists.

Maybe next week she can start a ‘kick paddy out of his Camden high rise’ twitter stream…

You’re looking in the wrong hole. As is obvious from the graphic that she tweeted, this number is from an OECD survey on education and migrant children. Here’s a full-size version.

What really distinguishes Ireland is the number of returning foreign-borns i.e. children of returning Irish emigrants. But never mind because that might be the start of a reasonable discussion about migration and you’ll never get that online. :unamused:

Last year foreign born mothers had 27% of the children here. You can splutter all you want about a few percentage points but its certainly notable a mono-ethnic country just at the turn of the century going down this path with not only no public consultation but a media aghast at the Irish discussing their own self interest.
21K non EEA nationals entered Ireland in the last 12 months net, 120K non Irish given the piece of toilet paper that is now our citizenship over the last few years, in the midst of a housing crisis?, you have then the govt organising all sorts of scab migrant labour for local gombeen men in this country and builders on about getting more non-EEA cheap labour to “fix” the housing crisis. Greasy till merchants and slumlords run Ireland.

Touché!

I rest my case.

You’ve no case in this instance.

The Guardian publishes a sobering read on our housing crisis

With it’s usual lefty slant but not a bad article. They’ve got all the usual suspects in there from Rory Hearne to Erica Fleming. And a reference to FG as centre-right :unamused:

But for all the many reasons they outline for the housing crisis in Dublin, they even mentioned Germany’s issues, there’s not a single mention of one very large contributing factor but I wouldn’t have expected any less from the Guardian.

‘UK housebuilding revolution’: £65,000 prefab homes go into production

Sounds impressive. You have to read down a few paragraphs before you get to where it doesn’t include land and connections to services, which can double or triple the cost. And how traditional customer tastes are for brick facades which are added on site and can add weeks to the delivery time. Translated into the Irish scenario, you could easily see them being back in the €400k category in no time.

Modular build is also popular in Germany were, outside the major cities, housing is very cheap.

It is not pretty to look at but people tend to like paying less for things I find.

This sounds like a step in the right direction:

independent.ie/business/per … 06251.html

The irony of a local authority manager raising money for a homelessness charity
He has responsibility for housing under legislation, yet…
Only in Ireland

It is now over three years since I called for “Emergency” interventions into home construction in Dublin. The grinding incompetence is beyond a joke now. :frowning:

thepropertypin.com/viewtopi … ck#p845338

Since then the (then) incipient emergency has moved along to Cork and Galway cities as well and will probably spread to Limerick by next year. :frowning: