Heatwave

Not to mention that the Gulf Stream funnels the same mass of warm water northward every hour as all the oil ever extracted by humans. In any case solar radiation does not penetrate the land surface, and fossil fuel deposits are in local thermodynamic equilibrium with the geothermal gradient along with everything else around them. Insolation accounts for 99% of heat at the surface of the Earth, and less than 1% is due to escaping internal energy. That’s why models of planetary surface temperatures that only take into account distance from the Sun, surface albedo, and atmospheric constituents, work just fine.

:smiley:

I felt actual rain in SCD yesterday! 8DD

… but I doubt it amounted to more than a millimetre or two. :frowning:

And none of it fell at Dublin Airport which is still registering zero for the month so far:

In old money, the average for May to July is seven inches of rain. With a bit over a fortnight to go, we’ve had less than one inch, and almost all of that fell in May. Just drove down the coast to Wexford today and it’s like a prairie everywhere. With all the browns you’d be forgiven for thinking it was Autumn.

Has Dublin Airport ever recorded zero rain for July ?

No, nor for any month. The records – like the airport – only go back 80 years. Last month’s rainfall of 4.8 mm has been beaten five times:

• 4.7 mm in Feb '65,
  • 4.0 mm in Jun '42 and Mar '61,
  • 3.6 mm in Sep '86 and May '91.

soil moisture deficits are off the charts
it will take very heavy downpours or a very wet month to get water levels to rise. IW and the Dublin supply will be under severe pressure for a few months

It’s Ireland.
What you are talking about is called ‘August’. :stuck_out_tongue:

Public in SCD complaining to IW about hose pipe ban breaches

and in Cork

and more

The Heatwave thread started just about this time last year. Funny enough, from a hemispheric weather viewpoint, this year is looking practically identical. There’s a huge looping blocked meridional pattern in the jet stream. We just happen to be above a plunging loop, instead of below a soaring one. But the meandering pattern caused by a reduced temperature gradient between equator and Arctic is exactly the same. It brought last year’s heatwave. It brought the previous year’s snow. It’s bringing this year’s downpours. I don’t subscribe much to global warming alarmism, but if there’s one thing that strongly suggests climate change is very real, it’s this new normal.

Have a look at the 14-day jet stream animation … it’s gonna be soggy for sure! Maybe even time for filling some sandbags if you live in the wrong place.

If I recall correctly, the ‘heatwave’ last year was almost done by early July. But it was on everyone’s lips because of the hose pipe ban and the drought that built up since late April 2018 was having an impact. I think late July/August 2018 were fairly typical for an Irish summer.
Mid Feb 2018 with the snow to early July were exceptional months for weather.