History Shows !

Interesting one. I am not sure whether this thesis is correct on its own and feel that war and disease had a lot to do with it. Ambrose Little-England issues forth !

telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm … twerp.html

“**The City of London is on borrowed time. Great banking centres can prosper for 40 years or so after the host country has lost industrial leadership but then some shock or political upset exposes the fragility of it all. **”

ah right …there IS a war :smiley:

Plenty of war

His point being that Thatcherisms last gasp was in Eastern Europe which is now rapidly imploding …faster than we are in the case of the Baltics.

and Britain Ambrose, and Britain.

Good article. Thanks for posting it. :smiley:

I would not mind but Ambrose has an interesting point albeit one that degenerates into Blood on the Streets and the Bonfire of the Porsches all too soon .

Jesus. Being called a Thatcherite by AEP?

Christ Charlie, where did it all go wrong? :nin

A very reasonable article and very far from a Last Ditcher / Little Englander screed.

Maybe its because I remember the lead in to the Brixton riots in the early '80’s and LA riots in the early 90’s and got to visit the scene of both riots soon afterwards that I take the worries about serious civil unrest very seriously. Maybe not this year but 2010 will be a very volatile year as the full impact of what happened last year sinks in. Countries with no effective mainstream political opposition are top of the list of those likely to explode. France and Italy come immediately to mind.

I think the new regulations concerning hedge funds were agreed at G20 level, weren’t they?
Ambrose is attacking the messenger (the EU).

I think our Ambrose hits the nail on the head in these paragraphs:

Therein lies the essence of the problem with hedge funds.

That happened TWICE with eircom , Once when Soros and O Reilly and the Unions gouged it and again when the Australians and teh Unions gouged it . the worst Hedge Fund of the lot was the CWU :frowning:

Those are private equity funds, not hedge funds. Some of the most vocal (and profitable) sceptics of the credit bubble were hedge fund managers, especially when their funds took a bet against the debt of leverage buyouts led by voracious private equity firms.