House vs apartment comparisons

131 Belgrove Park, “three bedroom 2nd floor apartment”
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -3/2519337
c. 82 sq m = c. 882 sq feet => €317/sq ft

For comparison, a similar sized house in same general area, with similar condition, BER

42 Sea Park Drive, Clontarf
3 bedroom house, 92 sq m, asking 430k
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -3/2519447
€434/sq ft, €150,000 more(!)

The apartment has:

• no garden
  • hefty annual maintainance fee (I believe this is c. €3000 p.a. for a Belgrove Park 3-bedroom apartment!), but this covers bin charges, grounds maintenance, sinking fund, etc.
  • park in basement car park rather than at your front door, harder to bring in the groceries, etc. (but car is protected from snow & hard frosts)
  • car free grounds for kids to play in

The house:

• you have to maintain the garden, house exterior, etc. yourself, or pay someone to do it
  • you have to pay bin charges, etc.
  • 12% larger

but do these differences add up to €150,000 (54% extra)?

myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -3/2282805

I was going to call BS on the service charge - no lift I would have thought - shouldn’t be that high;
but :
myhome.ie/residential/brochu … -3/2282805

What does exceptional mean? bear in mind this has 2 car park spaces also.

You’ll also find that the service charge includes refuse charges too?
You should also factor in annual insurance on the building - not required for the apartment as it’s included in SC

You might also find that the apartment struggles to make the asking while the house goes above asking.

I think there is value in apartments

Or let’s say it was a very fancy 430k spacious 4-bed apartment up against the house.

e.g. for 460k you could have
1 Burleigh Court, Burlington Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
Apartment, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=708023
113 Sq. Metres (1,216 Sq. Feet)
€378/sq ft

I’m guessing someone from continental Europe, where there isn’t a “hang-up” about families living in apartments that we have here, who had c. 430k to spend would see absolutely no contest in terms of which to buy?

But less so your typical Irish person perhaps?

(admittedly, apartments on the continent are better equipped for familiy living, with better storage, etc.)

In other words, does the stigma amongst the Irish at apartment living mean they that apartments are generally better value than houses, when you compare like with like as much as possible?

I always take that cliche about mainland Europeans as happy apartment livers with a pinch of salt. Although we characterise them as happy to live in apartments most of those that I know (& I worked in a French company) actually prefer houses and in France for instance newly built houses is the fastest growing sector. Any of those that do live in apartments have country homes, even if very small, to enable them to get away from group living. Somehow I feel Irish people are finally coming around to apartment living just as other countries are rejecting it.

Personally the lack of 360 degree garden space (and the potential for privately soaking up scarce Vitamin D - there are headlines today saying its essential to reduce blood pressure) make apartment living v unattractive and IMHO the rest of Europe is slowly coming around to that view.

They have higher population density and don’t really get to choose unless they can afford it.

Which raises another question as to why land prices are so high in the least densely populated country in western Europe.

This has been my experience of France too. Most people I know own their own houses. Only those who are single with no kids live in appartments. The attitude here towards house ownership is more akin to what prevails in Ireland than in ‘middle’ Europe countries.

As a matter of no interest whatsoever wedding and engagement rings are also worn on the left hand :astonished:

Sea Park Drive house has an offer of €440k with 3/4 bidders active.

At a rough guess endemic corruption.

I know many people that rent here in Paris, and that includes families paying five figures plus per month. They would rather spend the money on rent than buy an outrageously overpriced apartment, thus compromising on living conditions and on lifestyle. I don’t hear any of these people complaining about it being ‘dead money’, either. Sure, many people bought ‘cheap’ 15+ years ago when it made sense to do so, but there isn’t as much of an incentive to buy now with prices at €1000/sqft at a minimum in lesser areas and the sky is the limit in better ones. You can get very long leases here, meaning renters can stay in apartments for the best part of a decade if they so choose.

I have lived in several apartments and found in every single one that you hear too much from neighbours. Not just Irish apartments either. Some townhouses/semis can be similar though because you arent surrounded on 4 sides it isnt as bad.
At the end of the day there is nothing you can do about a noisy neighbour unless it is council owned.

I live in a good sized house and decent sized garden that I spend a lot of time pottering about in the summer months including growing my own vegetables. I love it but as I get older the energy isn’t there to continue to do this. From November to the end of March I hardly use the garden at all due to the bad weather. I am retired but I am not someone who will head off to Spain for the winter months.
Certainly if I were to downsize it would be to a smaller version of my own existing house. I couldn’t see myself living in an apartment unless it was something special such as a rooftop penthouse with lots of outdoor space. The yearly charge would be the killer though.
Having a few “jobs” to do about the place can be enjoyable provided you can keep on top of them.

The apartment above in Belgrove Park actually has only direct neighbours on one side (the floor below, since it is on the top floor and surrounded by exterior walls or corridor), so it trumps the house which has neighbours on both sides. 8DD

True, true SoCoDu, but the chasm between Paris and regional France is much the same as the chasm between Dublin and regional Ireland - only considerably wider.

One argument in favour of apartment living that I hear regularly in France (both in Paris and outside Paris) is the lower maintenance cost. Property/residence taxes are lower for apartment dwellers, heating can be a lot less, and cost of repairs are shared among the residents’ association. I also know several couples who live in houses with large grounds but plan to sell up as soon as the kids leave in order to move to a more “manageable” apartment.

Unfortunately I doubt this is true for most of the shyte thrown up here during the celtic bubble years.