How much did your house cost to build?

Hello Pinsters,

We’re trying to decide between build vs buy near Dublin and I was wondering if you could share your experiences on build costs. We’ve done some extremely preliminary work on quotes and costs and were quite surprised at how high they were.

I appreciate that there’s a heap of variation out there (you can put in a €3k kitchen or a €60k one etc.) but you would assume that the spec would be largely correlated to the size of the property. If possible could pinsters who’ve successfully build from scratch share your experiences?

Build year:
Size:
Traditional/contemporary style:
Cost:
Spec (low/medium/high):
Location (Dublin, Cork etc.):

Thanks

There’s a thread on boards called “how much did your build cost!” has been running for a good many years so many of the earlier posts have CT prices but still good reference for the later posts.

Mine cost about 150k for a 160m2 bungalow, medium spec & above average insulation in the midlands.

2004, 153 sq.mt. / 1650 sq.ft., dormer bungalow, €140k for walk-in condition (inc. kitchen, floors etc.), medium spec (high-spec insulation, u’floor heating), Wexford.

There is going to be a huge variation in build costs between Dublin and rural areas where builds are, and have always been, much cheaper, like almost everything else. But you could also make the point that sometimes build quality is very ordinary there as rural builders are not often exposed to best quality finishes or the latest building techniques.

There are plenty of new home owners spending north of €200k on complete makeovers of 4-5 bedrooom houses in Dublin since the CT to put in good quality finishes (but not marble everywhere type finishes by any means). I don’t think these sorts of quotes have changed a great deal since the CT in the big smoke as there seems to have been plenty of this sort of work about for builders (and some of their costs are higher here).

Thanks for the input and apologies that I hadn’t spotted the other thread.

We’ve roughly been getting quoted €2,100-2,500 sq ft for a new build in Dublin (obviously ex land) which I thought was steep. We’re looking at a larger property but pretty traditional in design and build technique.

I remember getting a quote for a house extension. My friend in Wexford got the exact same extension done. I got a quote from the same builder and it was 40% dearer. I queried this and he said ‘well, you lads have more money in Dublin’! At least he was honest!

Billy Bob, you numbers can’t be right.

Must be per sq meter not sq ft otherwise a 2,000 sqft house would cost you ex-land 5 million.

Not a million miles away from what I would have thought.

Don’t those figures include professional fees or development levies?

A friend of mine built a plain (basically a cube with a roof on top) 2 story of approx 2,500 sq ft, well insulated, and furnished it in a basic way except for a mid-range spec kitchen for - ex land - €180,000 in 2008/09.

That was rural Galway.

€250,000 should build a good quality reasonably well furnished 2000-2500 sq ft house. €350,000 and you’d need to be getting a top quality finish, excellent spec throughout, B1 BER at least, etc.

The very lower end of that range MIGHT be expensive but OK if you’re getting top notch finish, great professional service (is house architect designed?) etc.

Upper range is gross violation of the distal end of your GI tract IMHO :smiley:

That includes professional fees but not development levies.

The very lower end of that range MIGHT be expensive but OK if you’re getting top notch finish, great professional service (is house architect designed?) etc.

Upper range is gross violation of the distal end of your GI tract IMHO :smiley:

Completely agree and if you go larger again you would expect economies of scale to kick in further you would have thought - assuming you keep the build simple.