How much you need to earn to live in parts of Dublin

Interesting visualisation by the Dublin Inquirer [Link removed]

The picture is way too rosy for anybody setting out to get a rental now. The PRTB figures are for rents being paid by people already in accommodation. I reckon the asking prices on Daft were about 20% higher than those implied in the maps back when the article was written in February 2016, and they have gone up by 25% since then. So basically add 50% to those monthly income figures for anybody trying to get a rental today.

No it isn’t, unless you consider everything since 2007 “new”.

A bigger problem with this - 30% of your pretax income! That’s extortionate.
If you’re on 50K (assuming single and no pension contributions or BIK) you take home 36K.
Spending 15K of that on rent leaves you with 21K for everything else. So you get to keep 42% of your earnings after the government and your landlord get their cut.
30% of after-tax is a bit more reasonable, although you don’t get much for 12K p/a these days.

+1. Although, as I pointed out elsewhere, to pay 30% of your net income on the median Dublin 1-bed apartment you’d have to be in the top 10% of earners, on €80k. It’s bonkers.

But average incomes are surely higher in Dublin than elsewhere, no?

Dublin disposable income is 14% higher than the State average, according to fairly recent CSO numbers. I can’t find a comparison on gross income.

There’s going to be a big difference between those who own a home mortgage-free or with an affordable mortgage versus those that don’t, though.

Also when talking about any income statistics it’s important to distinguish between the mean and median, because very high incomes pull the mean up a lot higher than the median.

Equally students and others working part time pull the average down.

Median and average figures for those working full time are a lot higher than you might think.

Distribution is bounded on the lower end (can’t earn less than zero) but effectively unbounded at the top end.
This means the average is always above the median.

Median fulltime earnings are 32K according to this article; irishtimes.com/opinion/super … -1.2104861

Thanks for the lesson in basic stats.

Now what is the median/average income for those in full time employment?

I would hazsard a guess it is a lot higher :slight_smile:

IIRC the CBoI produced a paper recently on this very subject - as it relates to FTBs.

Umm…

The CSO data I was referring to is for employees as far as I know. (There’s a summary newspaper article on it somewhere that I don’t have to hand). Average disposable income for Dublin employees (before rent) is €21k, 14.5% higher than the national average. Presumably the median is lower. The rental on the median 1-bed apartment is €17k. It doesn’t take a genius to figure there’s a mismatch. Even the median couple would struggle. I believe that homelessness is just one of the more tragic consequences. The other social consequences are increasing numbers of “children” in their thirties living with parents, declining rates and increasing age of marriage and having children, and so on. It came up on a radio program recently, but I’ve forgotten the details.

About 115k tax units (or just over 5%) reported income of over 100k in 2014.

Revenue do not provide statistics on where these people live in the state.

I would hazard that anything between a third and a half of them live in Dublin or earn most of their income there.

The vast majority of very high public service and semi-state work management is in Dublin. Ditto for all kinds of professional services.

Big domestic companies are a bit more spread out (Glanbia, Kerry, etc) but multinationals that pay big money are all in Dublin or surrounding counties, Cork city and to some extent Galway city.

I can’t think of a sector that provides clusters of steady, high-paying employment outside these places.

Very high income is disproportionately Dublin, but of course this is very few people.

The distribution of most people (pensioners, teachers, shop workers and the like) is much more even

I think Pharma is pretty well spread out and not Dublin centric.

But the real money in this country is still in farming. Don’t be fooled by the revenue stats and the IFA. The black economy is rampant outside the pale. Where theres muck theres brass still holds true.

And those tech jobs in the silicon docks are not exactly rock solid considering The Donald’s tax plans.

Those tax units are not necessarily single individuals either?

They are individuals or jointly assessed couples.

But tax units are almost always households, and households is what drives demand for dwellings.

My grandfather grew up on a small farm, and he would have politely described this claim as bullskutter.

This might be the case for some very large farms in Munster, but not for the other 95% of farmers, many of whom engage in it part time mainly for the subsidies.

I’d say it’s way more than that. 40% of the population is in the greater Dublin area, for a start…