how to deal with a VERY unhelpful EA?

we are very interested in a particular property but the EA is proving extremely unhelpful, bordering on discouraging.

she is rude and abrupt on the phone, will not offer a viewing unless it suits her extremely restrictive schedule and wants our surveyor in and out in 30 mins max now that she has finally given us a time.

I’m at a loss. Does she want to sell this house?? part of me wants to tell her to eff off but this looks like a good house for us so I guess I have to communicate with her. But jesus, in this market, this is completely unacceptable.

I’m pretty sure there is no one else in the running but I wont be at all surprise if a mysterious other bidder suddenly materialises when / if we make an offer.

any advice?

do you have contracts yet ? tell the solicitor the story and get the vendor to sort it out …

We haven’t made an offer. We’ve barely had the chance to survey it!!!

Is it owner-occupied?

If so, drop a note to the owners in the letter box after you’ve seen it, and if you are still getting nowhere with the EA

Apologies if it’s a stupid question, but have you told the EA that you will be making an offer subject to the outcome once your surveyor has had the opportunity to carry out a full inspection? I’ve used this approach with disinterested EAs and it has helped to make them more amenable to spending the time required by the surveyor (usually 45-60 mins).

Excuse my inexperience, but I always thought the house was surveyed AFTER an offer was accepted??

usually offer is put in subject to survey

I wouldn’t bother with a survey until you agree sale as you may never reach agreement with vendors on price - so you end up wasting your time and money on a survey. Even more so in this case where you are dealing with such a delightful EA.

It usually is, but there’s nothing to stop you surveying a house prior to making an offer, and my response was based on the fact that this is the approach the OP described.

In some situations it may be useful to survey the condition of a house prior to making any offer. For example, if one suspects that the survey will uncover problems, it may be easier to make an offer that reflects those problems than to significantly reduce an offer that has already been put on the table. The buyer’s first offer can be quite ‘sticky’, and even if it goes against their own interests, vendors can be reluctant to entertain a significantly revised offer following a condition or valuation survey. Occasionally you will see posts on the pin concerning this issue.

I should add that in my own experience on the buying side the conventional approach works fine.

Make it absolutely clear that the Estate Agent is the barrier to you making an offer.

Leave your number with the vendor, too.

House is rented so no owner to contact. Surveyor is a family member and frequently does preliminary surveys for me prior to making an offer.

Looks like I have to continue to deal with this frustrating woman

Seen this before…the EA could already have a buyer in mind…and it’s not you.

Does this woman own the agency? If not go above her

Just ask yourself what would Tony Soprano do?

That’s what I thought tbh.

I’ve no idea who Tony soprano is so I could only guess what he would do. :smiley:

To notify the vendor perhaps try a decent Library and see if they have copies of an up to date Thom’s Dublin Street Directory - that will give you an indication as to the owners name(not always the case though).
I have a 2002 and 2007 copy - PM me the address and I’ll PM you back the details from both 2002 and 2007 - chances are that if the same name tallys across both years, its the owners name.

very kind offer gleo. I have thoms myself, never thought of looking.
we met the next door neighbour at our last viewing so I mentioned about how awkward the EA was being, in the hope that he’ll feed it back to the owner.

Agree with this.

If you know the house has some issues you are willing to take on, maybe get a survey first, otherwise your Sale Agreed amount might be miles above what you ultimately see as a correct price following a survey and the vendor might be pissed at you shifting the price drastically.

If the house seems solid with no outward warning signs, then I reckon making an offer subject to survey is fine.

What I fundamentally disagree with (as mentioned here on the Pin!) is people going Sale Agreed, having the vendor take the house off the market, and using the survey or valuer as an excuse to reduce the price despite no having uncovered anything that you didn’t already know.

Just reading Burb’s dilemma reminded me of when I tried to buy a property in Ireland when I moved back in 2002 - to a man and a woman, the estate agents from EVERY FIRM I had the misfortune to deal with were totally unhelpful, arrogant, too-cute-for-their-own-good, incompetent assh*les and eventually I gave up trying to buy anything (thank god, as it happens). It was the absolute opposite experience to what buying property previously in both Spain and the UK, shocking really.

I would agree with others here - just bypass them altogether, go straight to the seller. Why anyone wanting to sell a property engages the “services” of an estate agent in Ireland is beyond me - you can do it yourself on the internet, really.

i have two sets of friends that live next to houses which are rented out,each of them have the owners phone number.have you asked any of the neighbours if they have the contact details,if so pass your number on to them.