I went shopping for groceries today.

I went to the till and selected a €20 note expecting that the amount of groceries I had would cost more than a tenner in my local ALDI here in Germany. I had to put the 20 euro note back and take a 10 euro note out instead as everything I bought didn’t amount to 10 euro.

So, having some time on my hands I went to tesco.ie and found the nearest appropriate alternatives in Ireland. I could be accussed of being unfair as I had to choose two brand name products rather than own brand to match the ALDI product but I’d counter by saying that TESCO choose to stock what they stock and are happy for their Customers to pay more.

ALDI		TESCO(IRELAND)

milk 2litres 1.38 1.69
buiscuts 0.69 1.07
shaving foam 0.85 1.19
chocolate bar 0.39 1.49
pizza 1.59 2.49
milk rice 0.29 0.82
milk rice 0.29 0.82
breadrollx30.29 0.87 0.39 1.17
bananas 1.15 1.56
yoghurtx2 0.29 0.58 0.46 0.92 (200g in ALDI, 140g in TESCO)

total(euro) 8.08 13.22

The only item I left off my list is a product for which I could find no similar product on TESCO.IE.

Ye are being ripped off. Just sayin’ like.

You’d really need to be comparing to Aldi here to get an accurate picture. I know it’s more expensive than in Germany but not that much more. 2 litres of milk is 1.49 anyway.mi don’t know the exact items you both so can’t compare the rest.

those products are mostly basic food stuff or consumables. I deliberately avoided branded product.

I know LIDL and ALDI are more expensive in Ireland; I’ve been in them and seen the prices are higher. They are undercutting the incumbents in Ireland but not selling at the same price as in Germany and this would partly be a decision made by them rather than one imposed on them due to higher costs in Ireland.

It appears that the Irish are not only a sophisticated electorate but are sophisticated consumers as well. Well actually they are not. The week before last I had to explain to someone visiting who works in the head office of a british chain store than there are practically no tier 1 stores from British retailers in the Irish market because the Customers on the whole aren’t discerning enough.

They have to pay the Irish minimum wage here. It’s a real factor.

Tesco refuse to publish their accounts for Ireland,the fact that their UK senior management apparently refer to Ireland as “Treasure Island” should speak volumes though.

And in Germany they have to actually employ their staff on real contracts and pay their contribution to their pension and health insurance. Germany may not have a minimum wage defined but it isn’t cheap to employ people there so that doesn’t explain the disparity.

Aldi temp staff pay 6.50 an hour with no benefits according to this theguardian.com/money/2012/o … ms-germany . That’s a real difference.

dw.de/critics-question-lidls … 14732011-1
LIDL germany claim 13 euro average for supermarket workers and 10 euro entry per hour.

Not the most flattering of articles but compared to TESCO the German supermarkets are angels.

I’d take DW.de over the guardian.

…and I only went in for some bread rolls and milk :slight_smile:

In Germany is health insurance not paid by the employee?

Ps in Ireland the employer pays a much higher min wage. I am reasonably confident that many Irish shop owners would be lining up to employ staff on the same terms as those in Germany.

Have you ever looked really looked at the terms and conditions of employment for the bottom quartile of employees in Germany.

All may not be as rosey as you believe in the fatherland.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Germany
health insurance paid by both employer and employee and Germany forces them to provide for their pension.
There is no minimum wage in Germany at the moment as such; it’s the reason Germany has been without a government for the last few weeks; cdu and spd can’t reach an agreement on min wage.

Do you ever go to see any Bundesliga games, dipole ?

I remember reading this article from The Guardian in 2010 regarding the value comparison between actively following clubs in the Premiership and the Bundesliga.

theguardian.com/football/blo … ier-league

That was April 2010 - how did the Champions League go last year ?

Yes, I’ve paid for and been given free tickets to see the local Bundesliga team which is about 20km away in Sinsheim. Fabulous stadium, great matches but Hoffenheim only just about manage to stay in the bundesliga thanks to the generous support of the benefactor who owns 49% of the club.

I think you are being a bit optimistic about things. Temp mini-jobs have neither of these benefits. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_employment

I have some relatives in rural NE Germany and things are, well, really really tough there.

That’s a mini-job. The big companies can’t abuse mini-jobs in the way Irish employers are allowed abuse internships and the like.

In the article I linked to above, it says that that is exactly what Aldi does.

Hence the massive amounts of internal migration within Germany from mainly east Germany to the larger connurbations.

Good for you.

Dortmund v Bayern on TV next Sat (17.30 GMT) . A Must Watch !

It doesn’t though really. It has a business model based on a fixed number of staff per store. If they were all on mini-jobs then I wouldn’t be recognising the same faces stacking shelves and at the tills again and again in the few ALDI and LIDL stores I visit in the locality. They may have some floating staff but they are dependent on consistent staffing of their stores for their business model to work.

This comparison would have been apt in 2008. Consumer prices in Ireland have converged a LOT to eurozone norms since then.

Standard VAT rate is also 19% in Germany compared to 23% here. Zero-rate VAT for some foodstuffs in Germany too.

Swings and roundabouts though, you’re probably paying a higher average rate of income tax than i am :smiley:

I am probably paying higher income taxes but you should see the society you get for it in return. They’ve got huge industrial vacumn cleaners on trucks to suck up the leaves from the gutters in autumn and unimog snow ploughs to clear the snow off my laneway in winter. I see infrastructure and equipment in exchange for my taxes rather than knowing that 30 % or more of the working population are in the public sector but seeing no evidence of it.