If you're the police, who'll police the police?

Who honestly believes that was a ‘copy and paste’ error? Really?

Judge Charlton, for one. Page 111 of his report:

It wasn’t a terrible conspiracy by Garda management and the social services to destroy a whistleblower. It was a stupid mistake which spread through the system and which, through sheer incompetence and laziness, was allowed to fester even after everyone should have known it was a mistake. Indeed, anyone reading the report should have realised the problem because

Even Ms. D. protested when she heard about this report.

Now you know what to expect if anyone from Tusla offers to help you.

The corruption and incompetence is systemic and those in the hierarchy of the system hold the system up. That is the conspiracy.

So long as reports like this can be produced, there is hope for us all but it must be a bitter experience for Peter Charleton to go over the same ground as the Morris Tribunal where he was Counsel and to realise, more than 10 years after its final report and a series of other reports, that the Garda culture is unchanged.

Charleton has done a great service in sifting the truth from rumour and he doesn’t use the “systemic problems” as a cop-out. He vindicates some and condemns others, often in surprising ways. No surprise that he vindicated McCabe but he eviscerates Callinan and Taylor. They are likely to become the Patrick Nearys of the justice system - universally reviled but living comfortably on their pensions. Taylor will have to fight for his but imagine how much dirt he has on his colleagues. Noreen O’Sullivan and Frances Taylor are vindicated. Unlike Callinan, they were not out to get McCabe. But the Tribunal was not asked a basic question: did they advance the cause of Garda reform? Fitzgerald was around for 20 years and then seemed to float to the top as others (Shatter and Kenny) fell/were pushed. She set up Tusla but the Tribunal didn’t get into that.

With all the mud flying from this report, I see one very lucky boy who seems, for the first time in his long career, to be flying below the media radar. I refer to the solicitor Gerald Kean. Sorry, that’s Doctor Gerald Kean, who went from a humble BCL to an Honorary Doctorate from the American University in Florida. If anyone knows anything about this institution of higher learning, please share. Don’t bother googling, I’ve tried. Doctor Kean defamed McCabe on Marian Finucane in 2014 because he had been fed lies by Callinan. He dodged the subsequent libel case because RTE (i.e. licence payers :angry: ) picked up the tab.

The Tribunal report’s section dealing with him is well worth a read. It begins with this stinging rebuke:

This reluctance to assist the Tribunal would be remiss for any ordinary citizen but Doctor Kean is a solicitor i.e. an officer of the court who must act with the highest standards of conduct. He will be well aware of the superior courts’ jurisdiction

But this is Ireland so Doctor Kean will get away with this but I’d love to be there if he ever appears before the Supreme Court with Peter Charleton on the bench. :laughing:

Marian discussed the report this morning but told us nothing about her own starring role. Funny, but that seems to be the way of things with media types. All for transparency but they hate mirrors :laughing:

Doesn’t Mr Kean (it’s an honorary doctorate…) Have bigger legal issues to deal with?

I’d imagine he’s busy considering other career options?

Seems like lawyers hate to give evidence and journalists hate to talk about themselves. Doctor Kean straddles both worlds “comfortably” but things took a turn for the worse in that case.
irishtimes.com/business/com … -1.3076760
As far as I can see, no major media in Ireland has given any attention to this part of the Tribunal Report although it concludes with this amazing statement

Meanwhile, he’s taken his McMansion off the market. Feast your eyes!
rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/ger … d-11682683

Charlton whimped out. Friends helping friends? What a tosser.

No, Charleton put the blame where it belonged. Kean was a mere pawn in Callinan’s game, which is proven by the fact that Callinan was drafting the solicitor’s letter. :open_mouth: Kean will never live this humiliation down but Taylor will walk away with his full pension :imp:

independent.ie/irish-news/d … 18394.html
Surely, there should be a claw-back mechanisms for pensions where a public servant was seriously in breach of duties during the time the pension was accruing?

The main thing to remember is that Kean’s father was a Garda Superintendent - he’s part of the family, to be relied on, but also to be taken care of. Not a pawn. Pawns don’t get the promise of quid pro quo favours from the Chess player.

interesting article in the IT: irishtimes.com/news/crime-a … 1?mode=amp

It discusses the focus of Boston police on community policing. Interesting juxtaposition with the Garda response at North Frederick street.

Why does Boston get Evans and we get Callinan? Whither next?

That’s not the interesting question that hasn’t been asked…the interesting question is ‘What else (if anything !) has Callinan lied about during his very long career and who if anyone is looking into that ?’

Perhaps he just started lying recently about this one very small aspect of his career ! I bet that happens all the time with liars !

independent.ie/irish-news/f … 79571.html

on top of her pension eh, the UN eh

She was a member of AGS for 35 years - why wouldn’t she be entitled to a pension?

WARNING ! WHITEWASH ALERT RE ABOVE TEXT !

The Whitewashing O’Sullivan and Frances Fitzgerald in contrary to what is actually said in report by the media and insiders is startling

page 132/406

Page 156/406

My point is completely unrelated to the Tribunal’s verdict on her.

Her pension is an accrued property right based on more than half a lifetime of full-time employment and her drawing of it should be completely uncontroversial.

PS: Charleton would have done us all a favour with an executive summary and with the uploading of a searchable pdf.

Searchable, clickable. With conclusions starting p. 283. Many devastating findings, including a recap on Garda Keith Harrison who tried to use the McCabe debacle to hide his own failings.

This is a Supreme Court Judge and his Tribunal Report to the Oireachtas.
Executive Summary!? :blush:
I can’t recall a more cogent and lucid public document on a controversial topic.

disclosuretribunal.ie/en/DIS … Report.pdf

The copy I downloaded on the day of publication was not searchable. I gave up.

I find his prose style turgid and verbose. Excessive use of latinate terms and jargon, lots of double negatives and unnecessarily long sentences. Maybe this is standard stuff in the Four Courts. If it is, that’s great pity.

It’s the kind of style that would get thrown in the bin in my job, where, incidentally everything has a summary.

PS: his conclusions - which I’ve gathered from media discussion - seem pretty on the ball.

Quoting Macbeth and referencing JFK assassination in quick succession.

He obviously enjoys the sound of his own keystrokes. :smiley:

I found that part of the report very interesting. It gives an insight into the problems a judge faces in establishing the truth among the lies and conspiracy theories, particularly relevant to this Tribunal. Literature and history are excellent sources to illustrate this.

Nor is his prose “turgid and verbose”. It is written for the ordinary reader, not the lawyers, with a minimum of Latin. The double negatives reflect legal caution, as the report says:

If the media could do their job, we would have a summary by now, even an “executive summary” if someone is to be executed :mrgreen: The media were too busy “vindicating” assorted parties and damning others.

“The legal mind”. Give me strength.

Still, it’s a good report in spite of the pomposity.