Ikea vs. The Bubble

Will the bubble popping wreck Ikea’s chances of a huge sales bonanza when it opens up its Gigastore in Ireland?

The furniture market surely cannot claim to be poorly served as it is.

Aren’t they usually the first to pop?

Maybe it will attract more people who before the ECB rises would not have shoppped there. Budgets are much tighter than when they started their planning for this store but I would imagine they did their homework regarding the future direction on rates and didn’t just listen to comical when coming to their decision.

Folks, any chance of giving some additional consideration to the ‘new topic’ you are about to post to see if:

a) It really is a new topic?
b) Is it really relevant?

Hearings on Ikea’s new shop have just begun, so I think it’s news-related.

The predicted housing bust will cause some unemployment in the furniture sales business, so I consider that topical.

Can you make some argument against its topicality?

Ikea is getting its foot in the market while nobody is looking,all furniture shops are making money now so the complaints are not very loud,when the market pops the overpriced Irish shops will go bust and Ikea will mop up,there will always be a certain need for furniture.
Same goes for Lidl and Aldi,ever wonder why they are paying massive sums for prime sites now,they are thinking long term,something the Irish are not very good at.
Irish business like Irish people have the Ian O Doherty mindset live for the now and dont worry about the future,sure "what can you do anyway"to quote him.

The Ikea catalogue is next to the Argos catalogue in terms of importance as far as I’m concerned.

No house should be without one, even if you don’t need anything from it right now.

I just can’t wait till they start posting them in my letterbox like they used to do in Belgium.

I’m probably influenced by Fight Club here, but I’ve never looked at an Ikea product and thought “I could enjoy having that in the room with me”

It just speaks to me of the flimsy French and German mechanical products of the early 1950’s: born of deprivation and need; not something you willingly take when there’s some reasonably authentic-looking classical imitation stuff available at the same price.

Clearly the Ikea aesthetic is a powerful one, and it’s my taste that is at fault; I still don’t want it.