Inflation watch

Deflation from what were clearly bubble levels in 2006. But not much deflation relative to 2000. What would be wrong with that deflation, from an insane price level? Indeed I might even ask new recruits into the job market to pass on that deflation through lower starting salaries. Only not in this crackpot isle.

And no let’s not open up the debate about the young blanchardstown teacher - we will have to agree to differ.

Consumer Price Index, April 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … april2016/

% monthly change +0.2%
% annual change -0.1%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +1.0%
% annual change +9.2%

Local Authority Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +2.2%

Consumer Price Index, May 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … exmay2016/

% monthly change +0.5%
% annual change 0.0%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.5%
% annual change +9.7%

% monthly change 0.0%
% annual change +2.2%

Once again these inflation stats leave me confused.
If you are on 30k salary a year and your 600 euro motor insurance premium goes up 35% as reported in the papers you are paying another 210 euro for insurance. If your petrol costs go up 3% and you’ve been paying €1000 p.a. for fuel then you are only paying 30 euro more.
younger people with less disposable income are really vulnerable to Inflation in Ireland. If it is a cost which affects those of more advanced years it gets tackled but the young working poor get ridden sidewards and I say that as someone who unfortuanately can no longer consider myself in that age cohort. I have to scroll further down the list in online forms to find my age these days.

Consumer Price Index, June 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … xjune2016/

% monthly change +0.7%
% annual change +0.4%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.5%
% annual change +9.3%

% monthly change +2.4%
% annual change +5.5%

Consumer Price Index, July 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … xjuly2016/

% monthly change -0.2%
% annual change +0.5%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.9%
% annual change +9.1%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +5.5%

Appreciate your efforts in tracking stats, but the cost of living in Dublin is going through the roof! Looking at rentals in Dublin makes for horrific viewing. Id say 9% is conservative, although I know that is countrywide. I wonder what it is for Dublin.

rte.ie/news/player/2016/0811 … last-year/

Costs of insurance are continuing to rise, outpacing by multiples other costs increases, as they have been doing during the last 3 or so years.
The insurance companies have argued that it is due to the large cost awards made by courts.

I kind of agree with them.

We need to have central government remove the ability of judges to award massive costs to people for basic enough injuries.

There is a method available for this.

It really is something that a good government would do. Anyone?

Consumer Price Index, August 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ugust2016/

% monthly change -0.2%
% annual change -0.1%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.7%
% annual change +8.9%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +5.5%

Consumer Price Index, October 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … tober2016/

% monthly change -0.5%
% annual change -0.3%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.9%
% annual change +10.1%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +3.9%

with the constant reductions in Clothing an Footwear we should all be wearing Haute Couture by now. With the increases in rent/accommodation we may be left with only the shirts or coats on our backs but they should be very fine coats indeed.

I just find these figures laughable.
I’ve stopped buying branded clothes as the prices are nuts…so the fall is being driven by the likes of H&M, New Look selling unbranded clothing?
Branded runners/football boots etc continue to rise too

This, i see runners for 100+ in price but with sloppy glue lines clearly visible (used to be stitched)

Probably made by kids being paid $1 a day or something

Well the basket is made up of what people actually buy (as opposed to what they aspire to) so AFAIK yes

Consumer Price Index, November 2016

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ember2016/

% monthly change -0.1%
% annual change -0.1%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +9.7%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +3.9%

quick someone tell Newstalk, it has become the constantly moaning about rents channel

Inflation in Germany may be on the up. I have visited Munich for Oktoberfest for the last two years and we are pricing it for this year, the hotels are ~20% more expensive despite a poor attendance at the festival in 2016 because of security concerns and also the festival website tells me the price of a stein is going up by 10% to €11 (still cheap by Irish standards). If there is one item that cannot be shrinkflated it’s a stein at the Oktoberfest.

Back home in the Green Island, the price of diesel and petrol, both of them, have witnessed increases of the best part of 7% from start of October 2016 to start of January 2017.

That is a fairly significant outlay for commuters.
Sadly - in both life and financial terms - I am one of that group.

globalpetrolprices.com/Irela … el_prices/

If OPEC, Russia & the rest stick to the recent production deals, the price will continue to creep up to around $80 which is the preferred price as stated by Saudi Arabia.
This will have a worse affect on the price of fuel due to the relative weakness of the Euro.
Those increases will eventually creep through the system such that even Toblerone wouldn’t be able to widen the gaps any further without looking (even more) ridiculous.

And he’s back! :laughing: