% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change -0.0%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.3%
% annual change +9.7%

Local Authority Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.6%
% annual change +3.8%

I saw yesterday Dunnes are again charging €5/kg for basmati rice, something I haven’t seen them do since perhaps 2011. Still about €2 for the same qty in Lidl, or for those of you with many mouths to feed drop into an Asian store for 10kg quantities at about €1.60/kg. The CSO figures really don’t relate to my experience.

I can’t see $80 any time even remotely soon. There’s a whole glut of marginal production outside of OPEC that can come online profitably at prices $5-$10 above the current price.

rte.ie/news/business/2017/0206/850562-draghi-on-euro-zone-inflation/

Can someone explain what constitutes core inflation? (or better, explain why food is not considered core – is this some new fad diet thingy?)

I believe it’s because food fluctuates quite widely in price and consumers change their eating habits to compensate - so if the price of fish doubles relative to meat people will eat less fish and more meat. So if last year you bought 1kg of fish for €20 and 1kg of meat for €20 you spent €40 in total this year with fish at €40 and meat at 20€ you might by 2kg of meat and no fish and still pay €40 - however if the inflation figures want to be comparable they will suggest that your bill this year for meat and fish will be €60 - an increase of 50% - but you didn’t pay that - you changed your behaviour. So how do you compare this year to last year? Same for energy - electricity price goes up - you might use less, petrol price goes up - you might drive less. It makes it all very complicated as we have no way of predicting how people will substitute one good for another in response to a price increase.

Consumer Price Index, January 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … nuary2017/

% monthly change -0.5%
% annual change +0.3%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +8.3%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +3.8%

Consumer Price Index, February 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ruary2017/

% monthly change +0.6%
% annual change +0.5%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +1.2%
% annual change +8.5%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +3.8%

Consumer Price Index, March 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … march2017/

% monthly change +0.6%
% annual change +0.7%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.3%
% annual change +8.6%

% monthly change -2.8%
% annual change -0.7%

irishtimes.com/business/econ … -1.3053796

*Property prices rose by 10.7 per cent in the 12 months to the end of February, according to the latest property price index from the Central Statistics Office (CSO).

The year-on-year increase was nearly three percentage points higher than the annual rate of inflation recorded in January and comes on the back of a string of indicators pointing to a pick-up in house prices in the first quarter of 2017.

The figures show prices nationally rose by 1.5 per cent in February. In Dublin, where supply pressures are most evident, prices climbed by 8.3 per cent in the year to the end of February.*

Consumer Price Index, April 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … april2017/

% monthly change +%
% annual change -%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.5%
% annual change +7.9%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change -0.7%

Consumer Price Index, May 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … exmay2017/

% monthly change -0.2%
% annual change +0.2%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.1%
% annual change +7.6%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change -0.7%

Ireland now second most expensive country in EU for goods and services

irishtimes.com/business/econ … -1.3120896

Thats weird because I basically gave up paying the rip-off electronics pricing in this country 10 years ago, without exception everything is significantly more expensive than ordering it from another country. Maybe bricks and mortar is just a ripoff everywhere…

Consumer Price Index, June 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … xjune2017/

% monthly change +0.1%
% annual change -0.4%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.8%
% annual change +7.9%

% monthly change +5.0%
% annual change +1.8%

ft.com/content/7b5805b3-c07 … 2?mhq5j=e1

I think its been a liquidity trap for years. Its seems contradictory but i reckon inflation is low because rates are low. We need the readjustment.

Right or wrong?

U.S. has again missed all their inflation estimates today after 3 rate rises over the last 6 months.
This appears to have led to the dollar index falling while bullion and NASDAQ stocks rise.
I’m no economist but shouldn’t lower than expected inflation cause a higher dollar and lower bullion prices? Maybe the level of central bank intervention at all levels of the market is so huge that the market responses are more in response to predicted “corrective” central bank action rather than market fundamentals and are therefore the inverse of what the response in a free market would be.

Total inflation 2006-present, compared with private rental and local authority rents

Consumer Price Index, July 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … xjuly2017/

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change -0.2%

Private Rents (table 7)
% monthly change +0.4%
% annual change +7.3%

% monthly change +0.0%
% annual change +1.8%

Consumer Price Index, August 2017

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublica … ugust2017/