Ireland failing to tackle corruption

No S&*t sherlock
Alan Shatter has taken some steps but the rate of progress is flustratingly slow.

thejournal.ie/ireland-corrup … 8-Oct2012/

cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2012/10/ … um2012.pdf

That’s pretty good going. It is a minor miracle for anything in a report to be implemented in this country, nevermind implementing most of the proposals in 3 years.

One of the biggest tax avoidance scams going.

How so, just out of curiosity?

The overseas charities are really going to suffer a blow following the news of alleged misappropriation of state aid funds in Uganda

A regulator at home can only be a good thing…even if it means another quango, but God knows what happens to money in the more corrupt destinations

the headline for this thread could refer to Ireland at any point since it’s foundation to be honest

The first two words of the headline, could also… :cry:

By that I mean it’s not just with corruption that we fail… how about vision, etc…

How can you tackle corruption when its endemic, when its been proven in this country to start from the top down from stroke politics to nixer jobs/we’ll do it for cash? I see any introduction of new policies etc as useless unless they start from the top and with the people that we have at the top in recent years is that likely to happen I dont think so.

Plenty misappropriation of charity funds here at home I’d say.

Reading the material it appears that, in Europe, Denmark is perceived as the least corrupt country. Yet when you look at the comparative data, Denmark has few of the measures that Transparency Ireland is campaigning for e.g. whistleblowing legislation, register of lobbyists etc.

So, seems to me, the answer lies elsewhere than legislation and regulation. It would be interesting to get a deeper analysis of what there is in Danish culture, society, history etc that we might be able to learn from.

Inequality and corruption tend to go hand in hand.

In Denmarks case it’s attacks against people from a non-Danish background with the tacit knowledge of the police. Have a look under the headlines a different picture emerges regarding crime in Denmark.

Good.

Really?

The mind boggles at he amount of charities that seemingly campaign for the same thing,
I don’t know the difference between, concern, trocaire, goal, oxfam etc. Also those niall Mellon type operations where people raise money to travel or the ones where you’re practically paying for a two week walking holiday in spain…I’d like to see more scrutiny here.

At the other end I wonder what money goes on protection, both official and, erm, Sicilian style and paying for permits, visas and all the rest

The Niall Mellon one allways bothered me, it would be much more efficient to employ locals, the cost of the return air fair would probably pay for a local to work for a year, the two weeks could be spent volunteering with Cork penny dinners or similar.

Reminded me of the “I don’t know what a tracker mortage is” ad. It’s all on the interweb you know – founding, funding, ethos etc. etc. And the Niall Mellon ones are entirely clear about the split between overheads and the rest.

One example.

rte.ie/news/2012/1129/schools-tax-break.html

Is that as blatant as it appears?

Otherwise I am confused. :confused:

Maybe the school in this thread coould get the teachers to donate about 200 quid and have enough to fix the boiler after the tax rebate :open_mouth:

It’s paying your tax ala carte - choosing what you want your tax to be spent on.

If an organization has a charity status and you make a donation of 250+ in any year you can fill in a form which entitles the organization to claim all the tax you paid on that 250+. For higher tax payers it amounts to quite an amount. You sometimes hear ads from Concern and the likes encouraging people to fill in the form but it applies to all charities.

It becomes a little more complex when you take a look at the full list of organizations in Ireland which Revenue has designated charity status to. If you go through the list you’ll find creches and schools in Blackrock and the likes. In fact you’ll find all sorts of interesting groups. Sports clubs, special interest groups. Basically anyone can claim to be a charity.

revenue.ie/en/business/charities.html

What you may find is a fee paying school asking everyone to make a donation. They then claim the tax back. They then work out what their fees should be for the coming year. The reclaimed tax effectively subsidizes the fees which are therefore lower.

OW, answering your questions directly. Yes. And Yes. In fact the news last night suggested 3 individuals donated 1,100 between them. They should now go back to those 3 individuals with the appropriate forms and double the donation overnight.

The local church did this some time back after they spent a lot of money on a major renovation job ( €1M plus ). The Church committee went around the parish and asked every worker to fill in the form. AFAIK it ran for a few years and could be still be going, and I think you just has to fill in the form once.