Irish Banks pushing for Cashless Banking?

I am going to start boycotting any establishment that is going cashless.

2 Likes

Speaking of cashless banking, seen this on the twitter machine. People you need to be careful with internet/contactless banking!

After a distressing and frustrating week, I need to talk openly about something that happened to me (which could happen to you, too).

It’s broken me - both financially and mentally - but I’ll attempt to explain calmly and rationally. Strap yourself in, etc…

(THREAD)

1 Like

Physical possession of a phone is probably the worst case scenario.

Form this it look sleek she used an iPhone, I wonder did this crew have a grey box/ grey key

It’s not suppose to work after iOs 12 but once proven, it’s possible they’ve managed it again - If gangs have these or similar tech, then they are at large worldwide, if your phone is stolen you’re screwed.

If it’s not greykey or similar hardware brute force kit, then maybe they have perfected a FaceID hack, I’m going to assume it’s equipped with that tech. I don’t believe a photo will work, as the sensor detects morphology the way it works for 3D scanning, however if you scanned the person face, with a 3D scanner, you could have printed their head… for example, it might not have to be so sophisticated:

An unroll for easier reading:

After a distressing and frustrating week, I need to talk openly about something that happened to me (which could happen to you, too).

It’s broken me - both financially and mentally - but I’ll attempt to explain calmly and rationally. Strap yourself in, etc…

(THREAD)

On Wednesday evening (August 24), I entered my local gym - @VirginActiveUK.

On arrival, the security barriers which are normally activated by members scanning their passes were not working.

No one was ensuring that those entering the premises were genuine members.

I stored my belongings in a locker and began my workout.

Little did I know this gym session would end up costing me £5000+.

Soon after I started, someone managed to break in, steal my rucksack containing my belongings (phone, bank card, keys) and reset my @santanderuk online, phone, mobile and Apple Pay security details.

They then went shopping…

Now for the whistle-stop spree. First, @Apple in White City (@westfieldlondon). 3x purchases, totalling £3,000+. Next, a second @Apple store on Regent Street - approx. another £1,000.

Silence from @santanderuk despite having never shopped there in all my 13 years of banking.

By this point, surely their arms ache from carrying all those @Apple products but they’ve still energy for @Selfridges. While I’m finishing my stretches at @VirginActiveUK, they take £700+ of products to the till.

FRAUD says @santanderuk - transaction approved 3 minutes later.

It’s around this time I return to my locker and the nightmare ensues. And I’m not alone. At least two other @VirginActiveUK members have also had their lockers broken into and belongings stolen. We are all without phones, money, keys to our flats.

We call the police / banks.

.With no sense of urgency the @santanderuk call handler eventually freezes my account. I explain my phone was also stolen and should NOT be called.

I supply two alternatives, yet Santander fails to note them and contacts my mobile again, further putting my finances at risk…

Each transaction I’m told about hits me like a bullet.

But it’s ok, because the card is connected to the current account, while most funds are safely stored in my savings account.

But no. Somehow, they’ve transferred from one to the other, £2,500 at a time.

I almost drop the borrowed phone. I’m speechless. How have they managed to bypass so much security and accomplish such financial destruction in so little time?

The bank’s fraud team tell me they will “make a decision”. I already know the card type won’t go in my favour (Section 75 protection only applies to credit cards - this was a debit card). But I know I’m not to blame, and have faith in @santanderuk…which proves short-lived.

Note: Throughout this, I’ve no access to numbers of family/friends. Facebook? Nope, two-step verification sends a code to my phone. iCloud? Locked out. Desktop WhatsApp? Needs phone to scan QR code and I’m using a steam-powered LG Chocolate from the year 6BE (before emojis).

I manage to get a new sim card with my phone number, so I’m back in action. 2 missed calls from @santanderuk from the day before (yes, they’d been trying to call my mobile - which is in the hands of the fraudsters - to update me on my fraud case…)

Deep breath…

After a long wait on hold to @santanderuk, a lad (chewing) answers.

Me: “I’m told there’s an update on my case?”

Him: “Oh yeah, you ain’t gettin’ your money back”

Me: broken “But…why?”

Him: “Because they used your pin number.”

This is where it gets interesting…sort of

.@santanderuk has so far accused me of being negligent by:

• Writing my pin number on the bank card itself (!)

• Keeping a piece of paper with the code on inside the stolen bag (!)

• Sharing my pin number with family, friends or colleagues (!)

There is clearly a huge security loophole that they know about and until we crack it this will keep on happening.

We’re talking seriously organized, sophisticated and calculated fraud on a scale and speed like never before. Ignoring it by blaming the victim cannot be the answer.

For them to have known or guessed my pin is impossible, yet @santanderuk refuses to entertain any other explanation.

But - it’s up to the provider to prove I’ve been negligent or fraudulent, which they can’t.

Simply saying my PIN was used does not mean I authorized the purchase

I made sure I noted the exact times and locations of where the transactions were made and provided them to @MetPolice.

I’m told that it warrants investigation and that a detective will call me this week - hopefully before CCTV is wiped…

For my bank to conclude I’ve been negligent with my details instead of investigating thoroughly is lazy and beyond infuriating.

When I worked at @BBCXRay part of my job was to help fraud victims (my turn) Naturally, this made me more careful than ever with security/passwords.

Questions keeping me awake:

:interrobang: How they knew the barriers were open
:interrobang: How they hacked our locks
:interrobang: How they bypassed my phone’s facial recognition and passcode
:interrobang: How they knew my card PIN
:interrobang: How they changed my bank details

Note: All my codes/PIN/passwords were different…

In summary (if you’ve made it this far - thank you),

• A huge proportion of my life savings has been stolen
  • @santanderuk is making me feel like a criminal
  • @VirginActiveUK refuses to take any responsibility
  • I’m sleep deprived
  • I’ve zero appetite

But I refuse to give up🔥

On top of all this, they stole the key to my bike lock so I’m having to spend £70 for a locksmith to break through a brand new £50 lock, before spending another £50 to buy a new one😢 (Anyone know a cheaper West London locksmith who can help out a damsel in distress?!)

Possibly a bit of an inside job there, or had the group the tech to disable the electronic barriers too. Very possibly.

3 Likes

Yesterday in Tesco (same one I saw a mass walkout from last week) the man in front of me tried to tap with a revolut card for a sixpack of beer. It didn’t work so he inserted it and entered his pin. Still didn’t work so he got out his phone to check. Holds it up to the cashier and says “look there’s plenty of money there.” She says “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do” and he had to walk away boozeless at about 9.45pm, probably because of some glitchy server somewhere in the world.
None of this tech works as well as the people pimping it believe-just look the next time you’re in the airport; there’s still human staff attending the automatic bag, boarding pass, and passport machines because they malfunction so frequently.

4 Likes

When it comes to computer glitches Tesco are bottom shelf .
I feel the pain, just goes to prove cash is a thing.

You can’t keep up with the criminals. There will always be some sort of new scam and worse case you can be robbed at knifepoint and forced to type a pin/password in that way.

Safest thing is to just keep any material amount of money inaccessible from contactless cards/apps. Get a Revolut card for day to day use that’s completely segregated from your regular financial affairs. Just assume any amount that’s on it is already compromised and can be stolen.

Another day another tale of an online banking disaster.

Cash is King

Customers used to pay cash - Derry Now

“You never saw anything change as fast,” said David. “Previously about 15% to 20% of our business would have been online ordering apps and card payments. However, since covid, it has gone mad. There are some weeks it is as high as 95% card payments, and that means we have to pay more fees to the operators.

“That is money which should be staying in our pocket, in the town, but it has become free money to the card and app operators. I would estimate, we are paying out £1,500 across everything, at the end of each month. That is a huge cost for us. If those customers were coming into the shop or paying in cash, those charges would not be there. I know there is a convenience side to it for customers but if this continues, it is going to make it really, really hard for small businesses to survive."

Small businesses like Brendan’s get hit with higher tariffs than big businesses such as McDonalds.

“They are not charged the same fees we are. I just think small businesses are really struggling at the minute. We need all the help we can get and cash will keep costs down for us,” said David.

1 Like

As of Jan. 9, citizens are only allowed to withdraw a maximum of 20,000 nairas (around $43.50) from cash machines per day, with a weekly limit of 100,000 nairas (roughly $217).

The move also came just days before new naira banknotes went into circulation with the aim of curbing inflation and money laundering. The central bank imposed a deadline of Jan. 24 for Nigerians to exchange their old, higher denomination bank notes for the new currency.