Irish engineers see recovery by 2011

businessworld.ie/bworld/livenews.htm?a=2552360

Yep look at Terminal 2. Keep it going lads.

I think we need to ask the Engineers for their definition of “recover”. I’d like to know the set of questions on the survey that led to this figure being bandied about.

And how the hell did they get “Irish engineers see recovery by 2011” from a figure of less than 40%? Another (more accurate) way of putting that would be “majority of Engineers believe recession set to continue beyond 2011”

Anyone feel this optimism is based on anything? Where is the money for the infrastructure to come from?
PPPs maybe - or is it a complete fantasy?

What do the other more than 60% think?

So less than half of engineers think that if the government ( who are broke ) decide to spend loads of money in their area that there a possibility that the recession might end ( presumably for them ) by 2011.

Yet the title reads “Irish engineers see recovery by 2011” - talk about glass half full kinda journalism ! what a joke ! :smiley:

Irish engineers see recovery by 2011…

These arent Steorn engineers, are they?

I have 4 good friends who are engineers.
The only recovery they talk about are in countries where they are looking to emigrate to.

There isn’t a hope in hell that this country will have recovered by 2011.

As a soon to be redundant engineer I second that!!

Edit: IEI is a sham of an organisation anyway.

I see dead people.

Another person working in engineering here, I find a fair bit of delusion among my colleagues regards the economy. Those, like me, who realise how bollixed the country is have plans in place and are acting on them.

being an Irish engineer working in UK, I am a member of the IEI, however it seems the IEI stance on engineering is Construction, the monthly magazine is about roads and buildings, well 90% of it anyway. There are other aspects of engineering but the whole country became construction obsessed

Interesting how another professional body within the construction sector can have another view scs.ie/publications/press_re … elease.pdf. I’d love to share the optimism of my engineering colleagues, but 2010 is another disaster, any talks of recovery well into 2011 / early 2012 (and that’s the optimist in me coming out).

I think we need to ask businessworld for their definition of “engineer”.

Ditto. ‘Going forward blah blah’

50% think more jobs to be lost, 50% think employment levels will stay the same. :unamused:

We have twice the EU average of construction jobs still. If I jump really, really, really high I still can’t see recovery.

Oh, and recovery to Engineers Ireland is building more gaffs. Not infrastructure. Boat has sailed for that.

+1

I used to be a member when my previous employer picked up the tab. As I am not in construction I don’t see the point in joining…easy place to pick up a CEng though :wink:

rte.ie/news/2010/0211/education.html

Eh, there are already tax breaks to study?
Giving art and english teachers an extra ten days training is hardly going to upskill them to the level required.

I have a better idea. Intensively train a few people. Then during the summer break, maths and science teachers attend two week boot camps to make sure they are up to scratch. As they are permanent teachers, it’s not going to cost the state anything other than the cost of the initial ‘train-the-trainer’… what? what did I say that was so funny?

Give every kid a copy of Fermat’s Last Theorem and a DVD of Goodwill Hunting…

Sorted.

Agreed.

Engineers are so broke now thay’re already trying to do the teaching thing.

Why spend more when the simple possibility of a job is incentive enough to retrain as a teacher?

The problem for engineers is there is near zero chance of a job.

There is an oversupply of permanent teachers at the moment. The department, however, doesn’t have money for redundancy. So any vacancies that come up in a school are first filled from the surplus teachers the school has, regardless of subject. Class sizes and teaching hours are likely to be increased/reduced again next year, so it is likely there will be a further surplus.

Add to that the recruitment ban, which I presume applies to permanent teachers, and the existing contract teachers available.

The only hope is that more are going to retire than are surplus, so the surplus will be worked off.

Such is my understanding anyway, maybe someone else can shed more light?