Irish engineers see recovery by 2011

I’m guessing there’s hoards of people training in direct maths degrees to get into teaching (if not the more lucrative CSO) so even with training opportunities will be limited.

Also if you want to send out a message to kids that it’s useful to know maths, then letting 'em know there’s a bunch of unemployed people who’re good at maths probably isn’t the way to do it.

However I vaguely remember that for secondary teachers there’s some degree snobbery where a B.Eng degree isn’t useful when looking for science or maths teaching position - despite for instance featuring heavily in senior managerial posts in industry. It may be what the IEI is getting at.

You’re right, an engineer is only qualified to teach maths in secondary school, pretty narrow prospects. They try broaden their appeal with Religion and Civic studies.

Engineers and school are like George Lee and the Dail :nin

In this case the words “see” and “want” have the exact same meaning

To get a permanent teaching post in a secondary school in Ireland or the UK, you need a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), what used to be called the H-Dip. That’s in addition to your primary degree. I don’t know what Engineers Ireland are on about tax breaks for.

An engineer who is long enough on the dole can apply to a Back To Education Allowance which will fund his or her H-Dip plus pay them the dole while they’re at it. The PGDE is one of the only postgraduate courses funded by the BTEA. As long as they have a good enough degree, and a good honours degree will put them way ahead of the usual pass degree PGDE crowd, they should easily qualify.

pac.ie/faq.php?inst=pe

citizensinformation.ie/categ … _allowance

:stuck_out_tongue:

Are engineers good at maths? It seems to me that standards of admission to engineering courses have fallen badly over the last decade.

had occasion recently to review some engineering reports/calculations in detail. i was shocked. innumerate rubbish designed to please the client.

An alternative strategy would be to identify the best teachers. Test them for numeracy and math ability and retrain them as math/science teachers if appropriate.

I bet there are many history teachers out there could do a better job than your average B.Eng.

In general, university course will require an honour (A,B,C) in honours maths to get in.

Points may have fallen due to lack of interest but the entry requirements usually have this catch in there.

I know in Trinity some engineering course also qualify you for a maths degree.

I’m shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Care for a biscuit?

Flabbergasting, isn’t it.

One can surmise that the engineers in question were graduates of Tallaght Institute of Technology & Science (Tits).

The Engineers I knew in Uni were good at maths.

They all knew 6 Dutch Gold for 5 quid was the best value around.

It is well known that:

XD

There’s a great Thoreau quote from Walden about economists knowing nothing about frugality because they spend all their parent’s money in University but I don’t have it handy! :stuck_out_tongue:

So are you saying Engineers are more suited to solving all our current problems and troubles? :astonished:

I know quite a few Engineers who changed to the Dark Side and now work in banks :angry: They liked their problem solving(possibly causing) ability and recruited them in droves.

I would prefer engineers to the wanker Physics and Maths PhDs who gave us the glories of Collateralised Debt Obligations.

'twould have been better had that crowd never been educated in the first place.

At least the engineers are likely keep things simple and down to earth.

Yes, especially dem engineers dat built deh houses on deh flood plains.