Is Aldi part of the NO LEDGE ECONOMY

From the Daily Mail I’m tyoing my CV

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -Audi.html

A friend of mine worked for one of the them after college (Aldi or Lidl), paid him a fortune, nice car and worked him like a dog. He stayed a couple of years and got great experience.

wv

I have a mate that lives for Aldi. I say live rather than work because he literally is their b*tch. It’s not worth it for any money. Haven’t seen the guy in four years because he’s ALWAYS in work.

From a thread on boards.ie

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre … 2054960661

at least its a way out for someone with a big mortgage and family that recently lost their job.

bit like your dad going away to work abroad i suppose

So if you want to reduce your grocery bills as much as you can in this country you have to support this kind of behaviour. Do all those who advocate saving money by shopping in Lidl and Aldi have any problem with this set-up? Is there are point at which you would say - I’d rather take my custom elsewhere, even if I have to pay a little extra, so that I am not supporting my fellow human beings being treated like dirt? No doubt the cotton picked by slaves was an awful lot cheaper than the alternative too. I’m sure that if we reverted to Victorian standards of treating workers we’d be much more competitive. Lidl jobs all round and to hell with progress.

What about all the other goods you buy that are manufactured in China (among other places). Any idea how those workers are treated? I’d say most of those would switch jobs to Aldi or Lidl in a heartbeat.

I know how Chinese workers are treated and I have as little to do with it as possible. I try to buy co-op, fairtrade, organic stuff but obviously that costs a fortune so it’s not an option for everyone.

As for comparing conditions there to Aldi and Lidl, that’s my point. Where do we draw the line in competing with countries that have lower labour standards than we do? To say Aldi and Lidl are better than China is like clapping ourselves on the back that our economy is not as bad as Zimbabwe’s. Are we prepared to allow a century of progress away from Dickensian conditions to be rolled back while reassuring ourselves that we’re better off than Chinese factory workers? What’s the point of economic growth if our working conditions move steadily backwards?

If Aldi/Lidl are allegedly flouting Irish labour laws then the solution is to report them to the relevant authorities, let them conduct an investigation and if true, impose appropriate penalties.

I’m not being flip. We’re not in economic growth at the moment. which is precisely the time when working conditions tend to worsen.

The conditions in Lidl and Aldi described above dated from during the Celtic Tiger. They have been like that for years. As to economic growth, I was talking about long-term growth and referring to our need to become competitive, in some way, with low wage economies. As in, if the only way for us to become competitive enough to grow our economy again is to lower our standard of living to that of China, then what exactly is the point of that economic growth?

Current employees will not report anything as they would lose their jobs. During good times workers simply leave, therefore they have no incentive to go through the stress of reporting the company. In bad times they have even less incentive to cause trouble as they will be even more likely to lose their jobs. There are ways to get rid of troublesome employees without any fear of a court finding against you.

In theory, we could all sue the government if we had a good enough case on some issue. In reality, none of us can afford to do so. Enforcing the law is not as straightforward as you would like. Those with the motivation to enforce it do not have the power to do so. The ability of Lidl to defend such a case far outstrips the ability of a worker to bring one. That kind of legalistic mindset ignores the power structures at play in places like Lidl.

Labour inspectors are few and far between in Ireland, they still haven’t made their report public on GAMA and that’s back from 2005!!! :unamused:

Hard work for good money.
Oh the memories.

I’d say they are oversubscribed at the min…

There’s an eye opener. No wonder they can offer lower prices. They have themselves cushioned with 21st century sweatshop wage slavery. It’s irrelevant how good the pay may seem in comparison, if you have no life.

No one is forcing staff to take the job, and the work rate has been well known for years.

You think they will offer graduates big money and an audi to sit in an office sending emails all day?

We’re getting soft as a nation I fear. Aldi just give you a taste of self employment, and the responsibilities and level of effort it takes to make it in that arena.

That woman in the story copied from Boards.ie could have reported her experiences. However, I bet that she didn’t because of the Irish aversion to becoming an "informer”.

The amount of people who complain about tax evasion, welfare fraud, illegal practices etc and do nothing about it when they encounter it really irks me!

It is easy to be an informer when you have something else to fall back on. That lady didn’t.

I worked in a very stressful job for almost two years, it was only afterwards that the mrs told me how I had changed when in there and how much nicer I was after I left! You become immune to it after a while if you believe that it is the best you cna get.

I reckon this is totally cool.

Everyone who avails of a mortgage bail out should be made to work at Aldi or Lidl until they pay back what they owe those taxpayers doing the bailing out.

This thread is disturbing! Now I understand why the folks in Lidl always seem so glum - it’s put me off shopping there regularly, despite the prices. Having read these anecdotes, I’ll avoid the place completely from now on.

BTW, if my employer tried to coerce me into working on my holidays, days off, etc, I’d politely but firmly refuse. If they kept it up, I’d call my solicitor. If just a few Lidl employees started doing that, the company would find it difficult to dismiss them (without compo).