IT: Buy this painting - and get a house free

Is this a way around the buyer having to pay stamp duty?

AFAIK stamp duty applies to transfer not purchase of property. This comment on citizensinformation.ie/categ … stamp_duty would tend to confirm that.

Can you get a mortgage to buy a painting ?

For a Van Gogh or Vermeer maybe, I think art does tend to hold its real value pretty well. You’d probably need a second mortgage to pay for security though 8)

Why do the papers insist on going along with these winky wink cute hoorish attempts to sell houses?

Its easier than real journalism.

How do they know ?, seeing as they’ve never tried it, like :wink:

It was a bit of a shock when I realised what what he doing. I was thinking why are there photos of a house under that picture, thought nothing of it and moved on. It’s very jarring to later realise the full story, usually Arts week in Kilkenny is a bit of fun but this was surely reality surpassing imagination. There is truly no escaping the big suck.

I was passing again today, he has the Irish Times piece cut out and attached to the picture.

Stamp Duty is payable on the value of the property not necessarily the amount that changes hands.

Anyone see the rather curious ad on the back page of last Saturday’s Irish Times? ‘Authenticated copy of the 1916 proclamation, will exchange for cottage in the country.’ I can’t think of a punchline… :neutral_face:

How about:

Artist my hole!
Book illustrator with aspirations to becoming an estate agent more like.

Kick his bourgeois arse Hugo!

“How can one get rid of everything that smacks of journalism, worms, everything nice and right, blinkered, moralistic, europeanised, enervated? By saying dada. Dada is the world soul.”
Dada Manifesto" (1916, Hugo Ball)
https://www.theblueflower.org/WBBF/_assets/images/BFda_HugoBallLG%20.jpg

Was there ever a better time to buy ART…Art with LTV 100%…Art bubble come and get it…Christies told Me today there was other interested parties with higher bid…Its not an ART bubble, Irish Art is different…OOOOPPPPPS…ONE BIG QUESTION…“Can you get negative equity with ART”…Thank God Art is different…Anybody interested in buying some shoebox ART…Oh God how about Ghost ART,the Country could be littered with the stuff…Where the hell is Dan mcLoughlin He knows all about the price of ART…Are ye there Dan…Calling Dan…Dan… :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know of a fella who buys his wifes paintings. There is some tax benefit in it for him. Not sure how it works though.

Random guess - he buys it for for his company premises, writes off the purchase as a decorating expense, wife’s earnings are tax free as an artist?

Something like that i suppose. Great country for some.