IT - Isabel Morton: Price too high?

irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro … 40548.html

Good piece

Don’t worry Isabel, that will all change next year. :wink:

Any particular reason why the smug neighbour is a man there Isi?

She is able to describe and get inside the head of that type of person who feels entitled to sell their house for more than the bought it for so well - I wonder why.

She seems to be responding well to our regular critiques of her content here on the Pin.

Compared to the inconsequential prattle with which Isabel cluttered the spring selling season I must say that her recent pieces have been very good . That’s very good by:

1. Times Standards
  2. Times property page standards
  3. Irish Journalist standards .
  4. 2Packs standards.

Well done Isabel.

If you’re simply moving home to a property of similar value to your current property, it doesn’t really matter if prices go up, down, or sideways. So whether you did it in 2006, are doing it now, or will do it in a couple of years, you can’t really lose (or win).

It’s the BTL / property speculators I feel sorry for. Well, sort of. Okay, maybe not that much.

very good article isobel.

people looking to trade accross up or down will benefit from other second hand sellers dropping their prices.

I do actually feel sorry for a number of buy to let investors.

Is it just me or is there a feel of ‘So it’s the worst year to sell but sure just do it anyway’
Would people with their house on their market right now be more inclined to drop their price or wait after reading this weasel-word ridden piece?

Still a gaping big hole in Isabel’s understanding. Best illustrated by this bit:

It is not the case that the value of an individual’s property are falling. It **is **the case that the market price of property is falling.

That means that selling to buy again is zero sum. Waiting for prices to rise again leaves you facing more expensive purchase - as the separating couple will find if they wait the 10+ years until prices return to 2006 levels. Conversely, selling now means they get more for their money in their new purchase.

She’s improving. 7/10 on geckko’s standard scale.

Keep up the good work Isabel

This article starts off delusional, tries to please everybody at some point, gets personal in the last paragraph and makes a little bit of sense in the previous three. It gives you an idea of what drivel goes on in the heads of people (to use a well worn word on the pin) of this ilk and its not pretty, its actually very annoying and I want to say something very rude after reading it but really shouldnt. Anyway :unamused:

But Isabel don’t you know the ‘soft landing’ thing is supposed to happen. For gods sake the soft landing was all I read about in the Irish Times over the past few years, and now… nada, not one mention of the soft landing in months. Where is our soft landing we need to know.

An improvement - but still only a C- :unamused:

She hangs out a carrot for her beleaguered readers - there are NO bargains out there Isabel, and prices will not ‘Shoot Up’ again in a few years…

There are two choices for those considering selling. Stay put or sell up now. Those that choose to stay put on the basis that they may sell at some future date in the next few years for a higher gain are in fact speculators. There’s no gold at the end of this rainbow.

This is to comfort her readers rather than to inform. Much like BOCs stuff it addresses how people feel, but should be balanced with a bit of rationale, or else its still just fluff. If journalists want to write fluff that’s fine, but the ideal scenario would be that all readers recognise exactly what they are reading

Still, me jaw almost hit the floor with the heading!

What’s all this crap about then. There are no bargains to be had. Where is there evidence of this?

I don’t know if this is a good piece as some of you say, because so far I can only get half way through it before I get the uncomfortable feeling that last nights dinner might reappear.

That’s a fairly serious change of opinon. It holds an interesting mirror up to comments to be found elsewhere up until very recently that you are right to be sorry you didn’t BUY in 2006.

If I was someone who decided not to sell because the likes of Isabel were telling me house prices would keep going up, tis but a blip, I’d be mighty pissed off that following Isabel’s advice has cost me a lot of money.

But then THIS:

Why does anyone have a right to resent someone else who did “the right thing”? It’s that old sense of greed and entitlement. YOU are entitled to a profit, it’s wrong wrong wrong that you have to sell for less than you would have made last year.

Profit isn’t even defined in terms of what you paid, it’s defined in terms of how much you could have made if you timed the market correctly. And Isabel wants us to resent those who were lucky, clever or determined enough to sell when the selling was good.

I know people who sold out in 2006. Young families who made the right decision, and more importantly accepted a price drop to shift their house fast. It wasn’t easy, at the time and for a long time after there were property pimps like Isabel telling them to hold on, you’re mad to sell, houses will keep going up.

You want to know what these people resent? They resent been told they were “lucky”. They made tough decisions, they took a big risk, and it paid off. For the most part they are far too relieved to feel smug.

I don’t think Isabel ever wrote an article claiming that we should wipe the smug grin off the faces of those “lucky” enough to buy when prices were rising.

This is a sickening column, it’s actually worse than when she was talking rubbish. Now she’s rubbing your nose in it for listening to her, and at the same time telling you that your enemy isn’t her, but your neighbour who happened to make a better decision than you.

I despise this woman more and more.

-Rd

To Dalton’s point. Here is Isabel from April

irishtimes.com/newspaper/pro … 00661.html

My wife still says we were lucky - I say we were no such thing. I can be diplomatic when it’s said by another person in public, take it with a wry grin and a shrug of the shoulders - yeah, I guess we were.

But at home, I’m adamant it wasn’t luck - I analysed the situation, did my homework thanks to my friends on the 'Pin, looked beyond Ireland at what was happening around the world, read the pieces on historic analogies with other booms and busts… I could nearly write a dissertation on this stuff!

Luck, my arse! :imp:

It isn’t about luck. Then again, it isn’t sublime skill or intelligence either. It’s just a little knowledge of financial history - history that others chose to ignore by their own free will.