Knocking two rooms into one in a Victorian house...

I’ve surfed and found some renovation costs but not really helpful.
I know NOTHING about building costs but I am looking at a house from 1890.
I would want to knock the master bedroom into the box room beside it.
It’s a 9" thick wall and might need steel beams.
Any idea on cost? Is it 1k 5k 10k for stuff like this?
TB

Is it protected?

That’s mad Ted…You gotta love planning, the past is protected from the future while the present suffocates.

*I would suggest you find a friendly architect whom offers a free consultation. Many do now to help drum up business and maybe they always did but that’s probably the best thing to do.

*This post is not certified.

Most likely if it’s a 9 inch brick wall then it is a supporting wall and will need Metal beams, depending on the structure maybe
down through to the ground floor.
A quick way (but not definite ) to check is see is the wall running in the same direction or at 90 degrees to the attic beams.
If it is in the same direction you may be lucky.
You will be talking closer to the 10k if metal beams are needed.
Are electrics &/or Plumbing/Heating pipes & Radiators in the way that need moving? That’s More money .

If it is a 9 inch hollow wall then it will be much easier and around the 3 -5 k mark depending.

The good thing is you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone here , the beams strengthen up these old houses,
you can rip out the old plaster and ceiling and internal walling in both rooms while you are at it (if required) and get the energy rating up saving money in time.
Maybe put in a 2 way switch so you can turn off the light from the bed and things like that.

There is only one rule here , Get a good reputable builder with experience in Period Homes , check other work they have carried out .
If they turn up saying they can cut costs by not using drawings and just knock out the wall and slap up some decor and job done then
slam the door as he leaves.
I’m guessing 4-5 days start to finish, If you hear "Oh 3 weeks to do this , it’s a big Job " then that is more Manure for you and you know who not to get to do the job.

Why not just pay for the consultation?
Why do folk, contemplating spending thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands, on a house project, so resent a couple of hundred for professional advice?
Do you go to the butcher and ask for free meat?
Protected status may not apply here - easily checked - but regarding this as some sort of future-spoiler is a bit much as there are usually very good technical as well as heritage reasons to respect legacy construction.
Would you cut out the door pillars of your car?

That reminds me of this, a real shame IMO

myhome.ie/residential/brochure/32-londonbridge-road-sandymount-dublin-4/2698576
https://photos.myhome.ie/media/6/7/5/2698576/32%20Londonbridge%20Livingroom%202_l.jpg

Not saying this is what the OP is intending!

Thanks all. So <10k.
To be honest, after reading a lot about it, it might be nice to leave it as two rooms and do something with the room.
Some really nice old houses in town.
TB

Hi Bogger:
I am sorry if I came across as a bit testy on this - obviously each case is different and the joining up of rooms, if technically feasible and reasonably priced, might suit you and how you wish to operate the house.
Bear in mind that houses are invariably sold on bedroom numbers, no matter how pokey some might be, so losing one and maybe some ‘period’ features as well in this case is a probably a blow to your equity in the gaff.
Good to see a bit of cost benefit analysis in play - the natural emotional approach to house projects needs a bit of ‘hold up a bit’ cool head evaluation now and again.
You have to balance what it costs against what is it worth on any renovation/extension scheme.
Good Luck!

Not at all!! All opinion are welcome! I’ve been outbid twice recently so here we go again.
:slight_smile:
Regards,
TB.