Lets find a few billion

any pinsters care to join me in trying to find a few billion, or where it went…
just add your number to the list and tot it up … not looking for precision just see where Irish taxpayers money went and was wasted …
anecdotal, in the press or otherwise

E-Voting Machines 60,000,000
John O’Donoughue - Golden Parachute 112,000
know a woman in HSE who has 30 unwanted dental chairs,equipment in storage cos she ‘HAS to use her budget’ each year 600,000
Mary McAleese Government jet costs to go dublin-belfast to deliver ‘AUSTERITY FOR ALL’ speech 10,000
Berties curtains for his office 30,000

Total 60,652,000
(maybe someone could format it a bit better too, or make it easier to use )
there fixed

surely she does not get benefits anymore? McAlease maybe? :stuck_out_tongue:

Bertie Bowl - original estimate €280m, last I heard this was up to €1.1bn
Port Tunnel - Tender €457m, cost €752m
T2 Dublin Airport - April '05 projected cost = €270m, Aug '06 projected cost = €395m, Nov '10 estimated costs today = €600m

Metro North - if it’s build will be a money pit - no cost/benefit but the Greens have a hard on for it

Given that one billion euros is 1,000 million, then you have just identified 6.65% of just one billion.
Current government debt is in the order of 90 billion, not including nama and bank bailout.
That in itself probably totals, when all the chips are finally counted, just somewhere shy of 200 billion.
This is only a small fraction of Ireland’s TOTAL external debt, which I believe is in the area of roughly (give or take a few billions small change) 1.73 TRILLION euros (1,732,631,200,000).
About 1000% of GDP.
Perhaps the highest per capita debt on the planet.

irishexaminer.com/archives/2 … 16139.html

XX

Not sure of the sum total but they were paying the Orange Order circa 250,000 per annum during the boom.
They also paid a lesser sum (circa 100’000 p.a)to the Apprentice Boys of Derry.
These groups are made up of middle class businessmen and wealthy farmers. 8DD
We also paid Israel millions in arms deals. Arms which the canny Israelis get for free from the U.S.
Surely we could’ve hit the Americans for free arms also, considering they are using our airports.
Oh, how the world laughs at us.

ok in the interest of fairness (maybe FF will learn what that means) I will half the cost overruns on estimates to allow some latitude on the projects and not to contravene sarbanes-oxley or PWC standards ( :smiley: )

E-Voting Machines 60,000,000
John O’Donoughue - Golden Parachute 112,000
know a woman in HSE who has 30 unwanted dental chairs,equipment in storage cos she ‘HAS to use her budget’ each year 600,000
Mary Robinson Government jet costs to go dublin-belfast to deliver ‘AUSTERITY FOR ALL’ speech 10,000
Berties curtains for his office 30,000
Bertie Bowl - original estimate €280m, last I heard this was up to €1.1bn … 410,000,000
Port Tunnel - Tender €457m, cost €752m …145,000,000
T2 Dublin Airport - April '05 projected cost = €270m, Aug '06 projected cost = €395m, Nov '10 estimated costs today = €600m

Total 615,652,000

wow 615 Million already …

Not really specifc enough , but will leave it as a postscript…
In the initial years of the Government’s six-year National Development Plan, which began in 2000, the roads programme rose in cost from an estimated €7bn to €16bn.
The orange order , apprentice boys , I wouldnt begrudge them that …after all the flag is green white and …

tatoo , no sure what your point is , I worked in a company with a turnover of about 16 billion, when they were looking to cut costs they locked the stationery cabinet…in the real world thats how you save millions, you start keeping track of pencil costs.
theres two reasons why you do this … can you guess why ?

I’m not begrudging the Orange Order because they are protestants, I’m begrudging because they are not needy.
It’s a small amount, but indicative of how frivolous the Govt was with OUR money.

Huh. The bertie bowl was never built.

There is a cost/benefit analysis done. Where are you getting it from that there isn’t?

See rpa.ie/en/news/Pages/MetroNo … Facts.aspx

2:1 ratio on that, albeit slightly lower than DART underground.

Some high flying fun

Harney in 2004 personally requested the use of the Government jet for a FÁS trip to Florida at a cost of up to €80,000 to taxpayers. Link

Noel Dempsey costs the taxpayer €13,000 in 2010 flying from Dublin to Derry. The state car followed on the road waiting to collect him at Derry to bring him onto his final destination at Glenties. Link

Martin Cullen cost €8,000 on helicopter trips in the space of one week. Link

Darragh Calleary cost €34,000 to fly in for a Dail vote. He blamed Fine Gael not co-operating with pairing. Link

The jet was also dispatched to collect junior minister Billy Kelleher from London at a cost of €5,900, when it emerged the coalition may have been short on numbers to vote through the cabinet reshuffle. Link

*sigh I could probably go on I’ve no doubt.

Also this year:

TDs claimed €2.3 million in expenses between June and September, despite the Dáil being on a summer break for most of this time. Link

What about all the decentralised staff who wont go and are stuck in Dublin doing SFA? Surely a good few million to be saved there…

You can add in TDs voting their absent members onsite when snow prevented them from turning up. This meant they could claim the allowances for, er, turning up. Even though they didn’t… same thing with volcanic ash when a number (from all parties) were stranded.

Actually, I like your thread and I have to agree completely.
We need to introduce stringent accountability.
I was merely highlighting the massive extent of the numbers for two reasons:
There is obviously a whole lot of contribution needed on this thread to clarify where all that money went, and also,
Is it just me, or do these numbers just seem a little bit too large for such a small country and population base?

• 70,000 newly constructed houses for the four years 2005-2009, EXEMPT from stamp duty in order to prop up the Bubble and FOFF (Friends Of FF):
    (70,000 * 4 = 280,000) * 7% of average price (300k) = 5,880,000,000 or 5.88 Billion Euro.

• The public infrastructure cost to serve the far flung sprawly exburbs which were created as a result of government’s landowner serving policies. ???

• The Kyoto accord fines which will fall upon Ireland because of the spralburbs created as a result of these policies. ???

• The TV license money which is diverted to drug cartels. ???

Edit, that gives us a running total of (drum roll…):
6,495,652,000 + ??? ??? ???
Or something over 6.49 Billion Euro.

Save on cost of having junior&senior infant classes and improve quality of children life and their prospects.

Are you suggesting culling children? :blush: