Michael Lynn - The Irish Casey Serin Strikes!

Thomas Byrne got sixteen years with four suspended.

irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex … 51416.html

Yes. It’s a condition imposed on his surrender.

See ‘conditions imposed’ in the linked article

irishtimes.com/news/crime-a … -1.2039521

I know that the public perception is that corporate offenders ‘get a slap on the wrist’ but the following all served time (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

Thomas Byrne - Sixteen years (4 suspended)

irishexaminer.com/ireland/ex … 51416.html

Carol Hawkins - Seven years

breakingnews.ie/ireland/adam … 50153.html

Heather Perrin - 2.5 years

irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo … 15427.html

Paul Begley (Garlic Man)- Two years (after appeal)

rte.ie/news/2013/0215/367937 … ley-court/

David O’ Shea - 4 years (6 months suspended)

breakingnews.ie/ireland/jail … 55045.html

Niall Colfer - 2 years

independent.ie/irish-news/co … 49573.html

independent.ie/irish-news/so … 46501.html

Havent been following this but Im surprised that theres an extradition treaty now in place between Ireland and Brazil. Dont DFA have to satisfy themselves with regard to human rights issues at the Brazilian end before such an accord could be signed ie so that the arrangement is reciprocal?

The Colombia Three managed to evade extradition because such an accord was unthinkable with Colombia. I wouldn’t have thought that Brazil was any better…which is (presumably) why Lynn fled there in the first place…of course they may have just consulted with representatives of the OCI with a view to satisfying themselves as to conditions therein…

Very good point.

I think the perception is that these are all good old-fashioned demonstrable fraud by person A with the loot kept and spent by person A.

I think the public angst is for about bigger stuff like insider trading where:
-The actions are less direct
-The actors don’t necessarily benefit from the malfeasance
-Taxpayers/shareholders take the hit.
Where people are rarely even charged.

Very good point.

I think the perception is that these are all good old-fashioned demonstrable fraud by person A with the loot kept and spent by person A.

I think the public angst is for about bigger stuff like insider trading where:
-The actions are less direct
-The actors don’t necessarily benefit from the malfeasance
-Taxpayers/shareholders take the hit.
Where people are rarely even charged.

There is no extradition treaty – as I understand it they put in place an temporary extradition agreement specifically to allow for Lynn’s extradition. It is, however, reciprocal. The unintended consequence of this, I imagine, is a certain amount of sleepless nights in OCI headquarters. The indictments in that case include money laundering and forming a criminal cartel, which may meet the threshold for serious crimes and things which are crimes in Ireland also. I imagine that if Lynn is actually extradited it would be quite hard for Ireland to refuse to extradite suspects in the OCI case, if requested.

Was reading an unrelated story of a fella who was convicted in the involvement in the chainsawing up of his mate’s body in Holland and has seemingly fled to Brazil in Tuesday’s news.

It reminded me of the bould Michael Lynn. [The Brazil part :smiley: ]

He seemed to be all set to be extradited around mid-September 2016 but no news about him since.

I’m guessing he is still in prison in Recife. It would be highly unlikely he got back without it being news.

The wheels of justice turn slowly in Brazil.

edit: just reading the post above from Mantissa now. Interesting, maybe that is a reason.

Well there ya are now. No wonder he doesn’t sound like he is in any rush back, prison in Recife doesn’t seem all that bad really.

independent.ie/irish-news/co … 19833.html

irishtimes.com/news/crime-a … -1.3372601

Fugitive Michael Lynn wants clarification over time served in prison in Brazil
Court hears struck-off solicitor ‘close to the end of a long extradition process’

Anyone in the airport with '‘Welcome Home Michael’ placards ?

Lynn set to arrive back in Ireland today

msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/fugitive-lynn-set-to-arrive-back-in-ireland/ar-BBJIF8I?MSCC=1519894945&ocid=spartanntp

With any sentence back dated to Aug 2013, he’ll do very little time in an Irish prison and most likely nd up in Castlerea holiday camp.

Was that officially agreed to as part of his extradition ?

Was a Brazilian prison preferable?

Prisoner swap for the former president of Olympic something or other who was corrupt as f…

Sorry lads . Talking in my sleep there so I was. :nin

irishtimes.com/news/ireland … -1.3410649

He looked pretty well for somebody who has spent the past four years in prison in Brazil. I was expecting a gaunt dishevelled look.

did his wife stand by him? I wonder if she has anything to contribute evidence wise…

I think she did stick by him, doubt she’ll be back to give evidence, according to this article independent.ie/irish-news/f … 56429.html they have four kids!