Mortgage arrears: don't dig yourself into a hole (I.T.)

No entry: Dermot Ivers barricaded
himself into the family home in Arklow,
in a bid to stop the sheriff repossessing it.
Photograph: Garry ONeill
irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0731/1224275874894.html

If I cannot afford my rent, I have no option but to find accommodation that matches my income. This was happening all through the madness of 00’s. Why should “Homeowners” be protected from this same eventuality when others in society are told to Fu*k off.

They try to draw parallels with the famine in that people are thrown out of their homes bcos they can’t pay the mortgage. The only thing I see that matches the famine is the protection of the Landlord classes at the expense of higher Rents

Well it doesn’t look like he is being let off to me, Yes the renters will be constantly be up in arms in cases similar to this where people get to cling onto their houses, but surely this is a small advantage versus a lifetime of negative equity in a lot of cases. I have no desire to see ordinary people booted out of their houses mortgaged or not.

I’d like to hear the full story behind this one as it doesn’t appear to be the usual case of someone buying a house then losing their job. From the text it appears to be his parents’ house. Maybe he got some kind of loan guaranteed by them through the equity in the house in order to fund his business. If he does own the machinery he’s using to steal from the lender (that’s how I see it anyway) then surely selling a 2nd hand JCB would cover the mortgage for a couple of years.

Sounds like bollocks. If he had the money they’d happily take it.

Evictions should be restricted both for owners and renters. Why not make them equally hard to evict?

On other hand I can’t see anything wrong with repossessions, if lender does not want to negotiate it is his choice and right.

He should be stripped of his driving licence after that carry on.
Knocking down walls, mounting the pavement, narrowly missing cables, and threatening to toss a house and indeed possibly damage his neighbours house…
I agree. why can’t he sell his machinery and keep his house?

excellent point. the gardai should look into some road traffic angle on this. They can do it if they want.

There was some scrote shot dead in dublin last month and he had loads of convictions but they were all traffic violations. The guards couldnt pin the bigstuff so went after the small stuff.

I have to agree with Barney - this is a blindspot for Irish people where they always think of people being pitched out of their homes onto the streets as though they couldn’t afford to rent somewhere else. But these aren’t their homes - these are houses that they cannot afford. Houses that they want us to help buy for them. Now it sounds like in this particular case its a bit more vague than usual. So maybe your man has some kind of point - its hard to say without knowing the full story. But in far too many of these cases what people are asking for is for the taxpayer to help buy them a house that they will ultimately get to own free and clear. Why should we buy houses for some citizens and not for everybody? And why do I have to be one of the people who helps pay for their house? I want to buy my own house one day. That is going to be made more difficult if I also have to help pay somebody elses mortgage that they cannot afford themselves.

I would like to thank you all for your interest in this topic. The media coverage has been tremendous. Although I believe that some of you people that have posted on this site cannot understand the fact that Mr Dermot Ivers does NOT want the property for NOTHING. HE WANTS TO PAY FOR IT. Read any of the papers around - they have covered it very well and I wish you all well in finding out the complete truth behind this story. Don’t run before you can walk.

I would like to thank you all for your interest in this topic. The media coverage has been tremendous. Although I believe that some of you people that have posted on this site cannot understand the fact that Mr Dermot Ivers does NOT want the property for NOTHING. HE WANTS TO PAY FOR IT. Read any of the papers around - they have covered it very well and I wish you all well in finding out the complete truth behind this story. Don’t run before you can walk.

Quote:
said they would remain there until the lender agreed to reopen negotiations allowing him to buy the house.

Sounds like bollocks. If he had the money they’d happily take it.

Don’t presume too much.