My 100 second plan to fix the Housing Crisis

Rough Numbers here so don’t kill me ( Ill correct).

Golf courses serve social value to a limited number of people. Their number within the m50 could be reduced in the interest of housing human beings. This could be done within the remit of our Eminent Domain/Compulsary purchase laws. If people want to play golf within the m50, they can buy an Oculus rift. :stuck_out_tongue:

A typical golf course in Dublin sits on roughly half a square KM of prime real estate or 500,000 sq metres.

Lets say a tall but with compact footprint 3 story house along with major roads and greens is on average 100 SM.

You might put 4-5000 houses on the golf course.

I reckon you might be able to buy them for 200 million each. Thats about 40K per plot of land.

You get the area grided and serviced and people can purchase individual plots (they will of course be limited architecturally to template archetypes and kept dense). The plot-buyers get mortgages to fund the build, say 160K a pop, so 200K in total.

Govt draws up a list of approved builders and inspectors and the site is filled out grid by grid.

There are probably at least 12 such suitable sites in Dublin. Probably one or two in Cork and Galway as well.

Pay for the new roads and services with the 600 million we waste giving to NGOs for overseas development for 2-3 years in the interest of a “National emergency”.

Sales are only to first time buyers and overseas buyers are excluded.

My plan is superior to anything that will come out of Simon Coveneys office in his 100 days. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I spot a major flaw…those golf courses are ‘owned’ by the very people who create and put laws in place in Ireland.
And Turkey’s don’t vote for xmas

Coveneys Brother in the sandwich factory and Sutherland(who lives in donnybrook) would be ringing him up and reminding him of his obligations. You would have Eamon Ryan saying its not “Eco” to build over a golf course and then you would have that Eoin O’Brion lad calling for 80% of the houses to go to the “needy”".

You’re forgetting GAA and rugby pitches 8DD

And homeless shelters, don’t forget them. They won’t be needed when your plan comes together… :laughing:

Those are actually socially useful so would not be part of my plan. Greyhound tracks would probably get the bullet though.

Golf courses are not worth 200 million each as golf courses.

It’s the rezoning that creates the value. That windfall should not go to the golf course owners since they didn’t create it.

so you are espousing 200k houses in some of the most expensive parts of Dublin

8DD

brain fart. that’s 100 seconds of your life you’ll never get back

There’s enough land in DUblin except people don’t want the right densities because

1. twats like Frank McD has delusions about character

2. people - not unreasonably - fear that others can’t be trusted not to act like zoo animals when they live in close proximity to each other and know that consequences rarely follow actions in Ireland

They are worth exactly what the market says they are worth. The owners would not be given a choice to stonewall for a higher price based on some speculative future rezoning. The state would get the value of the subsequent rezoning of course in its entirety.

There is an implicit assumption here that we do this unilaterally without consulting “vested interests”.

Which market? Are golf courses listed on ISEQ?

The free market. I read golf courses are sold all over the world.

So how do you discover the price?

Nonetheless I’m curious as to how a valuation would be produced. Would it be the value for housing use or as a golf course, or for some other use? Land has no intrinsic value.

Great idea. Problem is not scarcity of land but restriction on its use.

Golf courses are a bizarre use of land in built-up areas.

Believe it or not DCC actually OWNS the land on which Clontarf Golf Club is located.

Same organisation spends €25,000,000 a year on homeless services, DCC that is.

These types of “solutions” actually only reinforce the issue because it continues the myth that land scarcity is the problem with housing supply in Dublin.
Next time you fly into Dublin airport - check out all the green that lies beneath.
The problems are zoning, planning density and build costs. Secondary to that are problems with transport infrastructure, particularly road and rail.

why stop at golf courses … why not CPO gardens from people who have more space than a bit of decking and BBQ?

The fields around Dublin Airport are around 8 km from the liffey, the golf club at clontarf is 3.3km from the liffey.

If you want to post a thread on how to fix planning density and build costs, I would be very interested. My plan would be high density. I would even be in favour of throwing in a few ultra talls.

There is a few areas where this would be possible, the templeogue road for example, the CPO should be used to add extra lanes to the road or perhaps an elevated road could go in there to help the poor souls with their 1.5 hour commutes each morning.

94 feet front gardens:

google.ie/maps/dir/53.41138 … l=en&hl=en

agreed 100%

look at Singapore - plenty of public parks and plenty of affordable housing; I object to the stupid game (not sport) that is golf but this is pure intellectual masturbation that will never come to a climax (no offence)