Nama land with laylandai trees overgrown

Hope someone can advise. We have just sale agreed on a house, where NAMA have the land behind and to the side of our house? My question is how do I go about asking them to cut down the height of theses trees, which are now about 50 feet high and put the house and garden in complete darkness? Who do I contact in NAMA, or do I just go ahead and trim them myself? They are right behind the hedge of our garden? We also suspect however that they may in fact be the boundary between both property’s. so who would be responsible for them in that case?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Surprised that you didn’t check that before buying, you could end up with having to chase after the owners “Nama” for months before anyone will take responsibility for them.

Mr Chainsaw is your friend. Go in under cover of darkness, chain away, make sure you angle the cut so they fall away from the house. At least, thats an option…probably illegal so dont do it…sure we arent made for sun anyhow

EDIT - You can only trim tree width encroaching on your property. You must return the trimmings. Re height, you have to ask the owner to do it. Note that taking off more than about 6 inches (cutting older branches) damages the trees, and you end up with brown patches and gaps in the foliage. That is why it must be done religiously every year, around May.

Buy the house and get free fuel for several years thrown in! :-GC

Fred West Topiary Service?

Treehouse! :smiley:

But, the house should be in the tree, not the other way round! :laughing:

Never, never go amatuer chainsawing-they are very dangerous and tree-felling is a risky business in itself.
Hard to be discreet with a chainsaw anyway as you would probably be trespassing, presumably. they’d wait until you got used to the artificial limb before the trial!

If it’s owned by NAMA, I’d do whatever you want with it (or rather, get a professional to do it for you). I highly doubt they know or care what the trees currently look like. On the other hand, I doubt anyone in NAMA is going to give you permission if you ask.

You could try ‘ringing’ the trunks - sneaky and quite - but will probably be more unsightly as Leylandii, the ultimate stinky weed tree and practically unprunable, stay withered but intact a long time after dying. Maybe the strange die back event could be followed by an equally strange bush fire two years later!

Know someone who did something similar once. His words: “It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission”. Of course I wouldn’t do it myself I’m not brazen enough.

“Girdling” is apparently the correct term. Criminal damage, presumably.

To be proved beyond reasonable doubt, though!

To be proved beyond reasonable doubt, though!

I guess you could carve ANTO LUVS NAAHLEE into the bark with an axe and underline it thickly all the way round, for plausibile deniability.

Saw that picture and just had to find out what the story was:

guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/0 … th-dispute

He eventually chopped them…and refused to moved the cuttings.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … years.html

I reckon your moves should be as follows:

• search for address to talk to NAMA
  • if found, use it, see below
  • if not found, address to NAMA head office with disclaimer.
  • send solicitors letter with contents:
    . outline situation
    . outline your proposed solution (you hire someone to top the trees)
    . outline timeline for reply
    . include a permission form for you to go ahead and top the trees

The Tree Council have some info here that is helpful: treecouncil.ie/treeinformati … ndlaw.html . Their advice is to negotiate.

It won’t work. NAMA will get themselves into a tizzy re liability, whether they need permission from the actual owner, etc. Better from their perspective to just say “no” and forget it.

My advice is, just do it. If they ask about it say you presume it’s the actual owner…

Alternatively, if you find some reason why the current situation may be dangerous then they’ll probably agree; for example, “the trees look like the branches are going to fall and hit a pedestrian/my children”.