National Broadband Plan will cost the taxpayer over €2bn

:laughing:
I would shoot your low orbit satellite down with your own testicles 2Pack.

The manysats approach smacks of a solution (cheap launches) looking for a customer. Otherwise the limits of the launch market are going to be reached quite quickly.

[

](https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/spacexs-starlink-plan-gets-huge-boost/news-story/b104dbe268a8daecf1810e04ee34ad75)

Can we stop talking about satellites, they will serve fishing boats and tankers mid ocean and inflight wifi on Aer Lingus and special forces stuck on an Afghan mountain and stuff, and do that well. Lets get back to the real world and terrestial networks.

rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/11 … broadband/

…And of course, she knows why unlike a lot of posters in here. :slight_smile:

5G cells are smaller again than 4G cells which aren’t everywhere yet. 4G was supposed to fix rural broadband the last time. 5G won’t fix it unless the Government builds its own network or pays operators to put it in places it’s uneconomical to put it.

Cells can be smaller in either 4g or 5g BUT smaller cells are for urban areas, some as small as a building atrium or 2 in every stand in the aviva or croker. You can be sure the aviva and croker have fibre backhaul though unlike a mountain top in Mayo would.

The report came out today and surprise surprise, nothing to see here! Ministers and Taoiseach out saying everything is rosy in the garden and they’re firing on ahead.
Naughten says he’s been vindicated though the report does not specifically say that.
I smell an injunction coming from a bidder who’s dropped out or else they’ll wait and maybe go after comp later.

RTE 9pm news had a piece on rural broadband. They went to an enterprise centre in Kinvara with good broadband where people can hire a workstation. Half the regulars are MNC employees who work from ‘home’.
1 lad who works for himself said his house is between 2 roads that have broadband but he cannot get eir to go up his road as there’s only 3 houses on it, a mile outside a village. The reporter then said this shows you ‘the sporadic nature of broadband in rural Ireland’.
I’ll tell you what it shows…the sporadic f-n nature of rural one-off builds in every 2nd field. Talk about getting it ar5eways.

People are not assigned houses by a central planning bureau.

For every house in Ireland that cannot access broadband, there are others a few kilometres away that can.

Why don’t people who really value broadband not just move house?

The numbers of people who can sustainably work from home, and the number of days that they can, tends to be overestimated. Very few people who work in the education, health, retail, or social care sectors for example - and that’s half a million people.

The media is full of naysayers on the NBP today, the SBP is campaigning against and so is Marian Finucane, and as Marian does not ‘do research’ I am certain that was all handed to her on a plate.

The main source of the naysaying is the department of PER, along with some idiot economists with a partial model (the worst sort. :frowning: ) , and this department of PER lot is headed by a person named Watts who hosted a meeting that was unminuted, in his department, with Eir in late 2016.

Mr Watts should be hauled in to the Dáil to explain why he was hosting completely unminuted meetings with bidders for the NBP during the bidding process.

Maybe his is asking basic questions such as why there is no cost-benefit analysis of the NBP in the public domain, in contrast to all guidelines for public spending.

Dublin’s Metrolink project will not start digging until 2022 at the earliest but already has a cost-benefit analysis up on its website.

Sending fibre up boreens to old people whose media consumption consists of a Saorview box and the local paper is not a good use of taxpayer funds.

People who really value broadband do not live in houses without it.

However, that is not necessarily a good argument for keeping those houses broadband-free.

If you put high speed connections in them they will become attractive to those who value high speed connections. That may include the relatively small fraction of the workforce able to work from home, who may appreciate escaping their urban rabbit hutches, freeing up that accomodation for those that truly need it, and injecting a bit of youth into rural Ireland.

A full 4% of the Irish workforce work from home.

Many of these don’t need a broadband connection.

I would generously estimate that 1% of the workforce would work from home if broadband was better.

This won’t tip the cost-benefit scales very much.

If you built a gaff down a Boreen with no 3G/4G access or broadband in the last 10 to 15 years then why should they get broadband now?

They have neither for the same reason, the operators don’t care, and efforts are underway to improve both mobile and fixed line networks in Ireland.

Is it really reasonable to expect to cover every depression and radio shadow and put a fibre down every road even though someone built a gaff down there knowing full well that there was no decent broadband.

And only half-jokingly what about team Tinfoil that don’t want radio coverage and picked their spot specifically not to have it.

Yes, you said that already. If you can put a phone line down there, you can string fibre. the process is no different, apart from a node splitter, no extra equipment is required. To provide anything else, you need to get fibre to the cabinet (whether that’s mobile or FTTC, fibre has to get to it), so we’re really only talking about the last few miles.

Here’s an interesting aside on the limitations of Satellite broadband and possibly on Musk’s actual target audience…
theregister.co.uk/2018/12/1 … n_network/

Not so much the specifics of EAN, but how much capacity is expected to be required for satellite only broadband, e.g. in places that don’t have ground stations (most of the world).

True, I did repeat myself :blush:

I’m not an expert on landline installation but I was talking to an ex-Eir emloyee and he says hooking up a one off can be expensive if new poles have to be laid. Now most of that work is already done for most houses so they don’t have that cost but for FTTC you still have to back haul all those cabinets and exchanges to handle the increased traffic which is a job of itself.

Fibre to the gaff to me is like rolling out the copper network again (without having to plant poles). If it was easy SIRO would’ve done it.

BTW it’s not just rural areas that have gack broadband. I live inside the M50 and get between 2-5Mbps as my cabinet hasn’t been hooked up to fibre even though all the surrounding ones have. Luckily SIRO is coming to my area so I’ll be gigabitting it soon :smiley:

Absolutely - I lived in an apartment block in Dublin at one stage, and there was zero permission for private lines, but the copper in to the apartments was disastrous even for dial-up. Refitting them to have decent phone and fiber or cat6 is a large ugly job (since they’re plastered into the walls). Many older houses have manky internal wiring too!

It could be worse, though, we could be like the US and have a regulator that’s in the telcos’ pockets, with a definition of broadband that’s heading back to 4/1…
theregister.co.uk/2018/12/1 … _internet/

You have crappy ISPs in Ireland like Airspeed and Ripplecom and Imagine whose antics are just like those US Wireless Operators mentioned in the article. There are some very good Wireless ISPs in Ireland but the awful ones are truly shite. :frowning: