NEST Thermostat & Smoke alarm

Does anyone have any experience with these the look pretty cool: nest.com/ie/thermostat/life-wit … hermostat/

How does it interface with your heating system, wired or wireless?

It seems to me that it “learns” what you do by you telling it what you do repeatedly. If you keep on coming home at 5pm then it will start turning the heating on at 5pm for you. But if you’re coming home at all kinds of hours then it not got a lot to learn and so won’t ‘predict’ what time you’re going to be home at

If you’ve a regular pattern, why wouldn’t you just set the timer on a standard heating control system?

It’d be interesting to see how they figure to tell you how much your heating has been costing you. For that you’d need a hook up to your gas meter. Otherwise wouldn’t it just be a lot of inferrence (perhaps you input type of heater/rating per hour / temp heating water is set too and it approximates gas usage)?

If your house has thermal mass and is well insulated then you don’t want to be turning your thermostat up and down like a yo-yo.

Perhaps the useful thing on this is being able to switch on remotely - that would allow you the benefit of warming up the house before you arrive, tailoring to your movements. But then again, adding another thing to be thinking about and managing in your life? Like, dull.

Oops!

"The Nest Learning Thermostat is supposed to be super-smart, automatically learning your preferences and creating custom schedules to match. Unfortunately, British Summer Time (BST) is a concept that seems to be beyond its current level of intelligence. As The Next Web reports, a wealth of Nest users noticed over the weekend that their thermostats hadn’t adjusted properly. While the internal clock had changed automatically, their personal heating schedules continued to operate on Greenwich Mean Time. It’s a small and largely insignificant bug, but we suspect more than a few adopters were frustrated when they woke up to a freezing home on Sunday morning. After all, this is a device that’s supposed to be perceptive – observing BST should be easy-peasy for a company like Nest. "

I think the killer for me would be this kind of thing (Amazon review):

The idea of opening the potential for my having to get onto a tech support helpdesk for a piece of technology as (relatively) insigificant as a thermostat. No, nay, never…

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a way to wirelessly hack into that nice big house’s NEST data,

Yours,

Mr. Burglar :nin

That’s be pretty useless in my house where the underfloor heating takes 24-36 hours to go from fully cooled to warm. I have a switch wired to the heating that can be controlled by SMS message, with two commands: “on” and “off”. :wink:

Does the provider undertake not to share your data with third parties?

The report is interesting, as is the remote control. Some of the other features seem like overkill.

Likewise and I’m still looking for a good way to control it. Room thermostats ended up buring out my compressor early (too many starts/stops), so I’ve switched to adjusting the flow at the manifold).

Interesting point re underfloor heating. We are going for UFH with a low thermal mass so that it is more responsive. It will be interesting to see if this works with the Nest.

I think we will go for the Nest, one for each zone.

I think it looks cool it apparently checks the weather forecast and adjusts in advance of weather so that might help with the underfloor heating issue.

I like that bugs can be fixed with the thermostat so your product should improve over time.

Mrs TI has never really bothered to Lear how to program the timer on our existing boiler so she likes the idea of this easy to use thermostat.

I’m so generally an early adopter so I’m happy to give it a go.

I’m not convinced by the usefulness of the NEST in the face of all other avenues. I was looking at automated stuff some 5 years ago and there was feck all on the market I was kind of amazed, but it’s like the app culture has now opened up the eyes of the blind to the potential even though it’s always been there there was no universal platform.

NEST in every room. Sounds like overkill. Good systems should already have zone control, do you need to pay for it twice. It sounds also more likely your electrician will be able to install a typical modern system.

Sometimes you really only need two zones, ground and first floor.

If you have all the insulation’s and improved build quality spec everywhere covered you may not really need to turn on the heating. You want to be aiming to a point where the heating is almost for emergencies or comfort in wet and severe cold.

It’s easy to go mad for the shiny shiny app/gadgets. Can’t wait till we’re past the shiny shiny it’s in a lot o sectors at the moment. I love technology but enough of it. Not too much of it.

I know somehow who replaced their older oil burner with a condenser burner, with up/down control and they’re saving 1.5 oil fills a year now and that with two next extra rads fitted to the system. The house at times is often too hot and yet they are still saving on oil. There insulation is not modern but they put some in in the 80’s when no one was installing it as a rule .They’re builder actually questioned it and almost refused to do it at the time. So with upgraded spec of insulation I’d say they’d be saving over 2 fills a year of oil or more. Might they only need a half tank a year. Maybe.

You wont’ get that saving from a NEST.

2/3 grand spent on thermostats. Doesn’t sound cost effective at all.

A tip that has come to mind from experience. Always check your skirting board. Any gaps may be letting a draft through the walls and room. Cooling it unnecessarily. I found one such instance one place I rented (new enough build) I used tape to cover over the gap to prove what I suspected. I never took it off. The difference it made was astounding. Yet no one at that point had noted it and probably had the heating on full tilt (electric!).

I keep waking up feeling like I had a runny noise or was getting a cold. This stopped once I located the draft.

Also moved into a rented house that had no Thermostat. We eventually got one installed. Still not an efficient system but we’ve probably gained a few more weeks out of each fill. My theory is heat the house when it’s warmer during the day therefore less energy required to heat the house. Thus you create an envelope of heat that is easier to maintain by the heating system rather than burning it once sun goes down full blast to try and get the house warmed up. it a;; depends on the thermal characteristics of you gaff.

Underfloor heating seems like a stupid idea to me.

For a rad-equipped house TRVs make a big difference in regulating temperature on a room-by-room basis.

I’d rather have TRVs and no NEST than NEST and no TRVs.

If I have TRVs the only advantage of NEST is freedom from the tyranny of a pre-programmed schedule. I deal with exceptions (being in or going out inexpectedly) by flicking a master switch.

I can see how I might want to time upstairs and downstairs zones to come on and off independently but I don’t need NEST for that.

Yes those too, Thermostatic Radiator Valves!

seai.ie/Power_of_One/FAQ/Hea … _TRVs.html

Looks like a gimmick to me. Danfoss do very similar and more reliable wireless system without the prediction bit.

Anther thing - its only as useful as the loops your house has been setup for. If your rooms are not on separate heating loops a system like this is useless.

it seems a little gimmicky to me, and like most gimmicks 90% of users will probably only use about 10% of the features.

I did an overhaul on my heating system about 18 months ago … it was a 5 zone UFH / rads upstairs / condenser boiler / open fires … I upgraded the stats to heatmisers, 90 solar tubes, 12.5kw back boiler stove tied in to a heat exchanger. I used over 2500l of oil in my first winter in the house, only used 400l this winter.

it took a bit of tweaking to get the system working properly and efficiently. If anything it gave me a crash course in how to keep the house warm / water hot as efficiently as possible. For the first winter with the new system we were constantly fiddling with the thermostats etc trying to get a grip on it … but this year we rarely went near the system except to keep an eye on it … so in my opinion the Nest type gadget wouldn’t really offer me anything different.

Google paid $3.2B for Nest in 2014. Hard to get your head around that, when they just had one relatively simple product, but I suppose its for what it can be, rather than what it is, IoT and all that.

Here’s a 20 minute interview with Nest founder and CEO that ran on Charlie Rose last year. Nest will work with fridge and other appliance makers to integrate its tech into their products, rather than market its own directly to consumer.

charlierose.com/watch/60473833

I made the point earlier that if you’re predictable you can set a tuppence ha’penny time clock. And if you’re not predictable the NEST can’t learn. As such, it ain’t that smart.

Which is where I think it’s really at. If you’re into tech generally then you might extract something from it. If not then not a hope.

Call me old fashioned: on with the bathrobe, into my slippers and push the boost button when I come down the stairs and wait 20 mins…

I have two of them in my house. By far the best feature for me is being able to control the temperature from my phone. That could be adjusting the temp without getting off the sofa, or turning the heat up when I’m driving home from a weekend away. Also nice to be able to check it when I’m away on holiday knowing that if I have a signal then my house is still standing. Perhaps the best aspect is to be able to moderate the missus’ flagrant use of heat while I’m at work :wink:

There are others on the market that can be controlled remotely but Nest wins by the nice form factor and ease of use. Looks good on the wall too.

I don’t believe the cost savings aspect are all they are touted to be. If you are normally frugal with heat usage and keep usage only to when you are home and need it, a Nest won’t improve anything for you. Don’t buy it to save money.

The learning feature is nothing to write home about and it really just saves the trouble of having to program in on and off times. For a person with an irregular schedule it can be annoying as it will turn the heat up just after I’ve turned it down, etc, thinking that it “knows” my routine.

Perhaps a stupid question but does the Nest allow me to heat water but no rads? the FAQs aren’t fully clarifying it for me, I have a switch beside my gas boiler that will do this but it’s out in the garage and I would like app access instead.

Thanks for the reply, will ring ESB and check which one they’re offering.

Some offer! It is indeed the 3rd gen Nest: all for free, including installation! Nice. Makes the 2 year contract very much acceptable.

Thanks, good to know, as an existing customer I get rewarded for my loyalty by having to pay an extra €99 :open_mouth: