Newstalk Budget appeal 08.12.09

did any body hear the (Budget) appeal @8.00am this morning, to B.Cowen about the Budget?

Sterling stuff, had me wooping in the car TBF. Its a first for me, i have never heard a radio station broadcast such an appeal before.

a sign of the times, what

Yeah “Mr Cowan will you lead us (an I dont mean up a blind alley”) :unamused:

Any detail on it, I’d be amazed if newstalk said anything of note…especially the breakfast show.

Stirring stuff but I’m feeling cynical today…

I must say I was pretty amazed by it!

What was said?

It was an appeal by Newtalk(editorial) to the government and the people that all short term and personal gains need to be put to one side and for the budget to be utillised as best as possible to get the country back on track.

Some soundbites: (AFAIKR)

• Income 34b outgoing 60b
  • All parties to suspend political oneupmanship
  • all TD’s to look beyond the next re-election process
  • Public to accept the required tough decitions
  • BC to pull his hands out of his arse and become the strong leader the country needs
  • Competativeness required so that we can compete with Newry/(that place in Poland)
  • A considerable drop in standard of living required

Somebody should post up a link to the newstalk page if possible

T

newstalk.ie/
Nothing about it at the mo…

Jeesh you’ve a great memory superpiper

• Income 34b outgoing 60b (an who’s fault is that eh bertie)?
  • All parties to suspend political oneupmanship (Just like FF do all the time)
  • all TD’s to look beyond the next re-election process (thats their job so its not gonna happen)
  • Public to accept the required tough decitions (Why? did joe public f*** up the country or just do what any other child would do when locked in a sweety shop)
  • BC to pull his hands out of his arse and become the strong leader the country needs (wrong guy, he doesnt have it and hes about as charismatic as he looks)
  • Competativeness required so that we can compete with Newry/(that place in Poland) (will price gouging stop in this country? Hmmmmm)
  • A considerable drop in standard of living required (whether we like it or not thats a given)

By the way does a certain phone company owner still own this radio station?

I thought it was interesting alright, but maybe a tad inappropriate? Who dies and made them our spokesman?

Needed to be said, but I’m not comfortable with media acting as the voice of a nation.

Yes.

Tax Exile calls on everyone in the country to pull his weight. F*ck off Dennis. How did he get that license by the way?

Did Tom Dunne come in and talk about the Something Happens gig afterwards? :unamused:

Agreed, also I’ve Newstalk set as my alarm and that bloody Claire one with her weird voice woke my kid this morning.

Did they ask people to accept that property prices must come down more so we can become more competitive?

Did they ****.

P.

Heard it and was a little sceptical when they spoke of Brian Cowen carrying out the mandate he was elected for.
I don’t believe he has a mandate as Taoiseach or a mandate to lead the government in any particular direction.
As a result there was a touch of everyone needs to get behing the current shower and suck it up. For a media outlet to be putting forward a view point like this can be interpreted as either an opportunitistic attempt to grab market share or an attempt to interfere in the governance of the state. Perhaps Berlusconi O’Brien should do a little more talking about the news… and apply a little less editorial influence on his station. ( altought I accept that his is unlikely be down to DOBs influence as otherwise we would n doubt be seeing it on the other stations he controls as well).

BTW superpiper… it was Newry/Bratislava (Slovakian Capital - not Polish)

Expressing an opinion concerning national policy is not interference with the governing of the state.

i thought it was a genuine and heartfelt plea for sanity TBF from newstalk.

I was expecting some twist, but did’nt get one. I liked it. More people should be standing up and demanding same.

+1

Don’t shoot the first person to raise the head above the parapet.
If all our media tried this it would be great.

I don’t feel it is the place of a radio station to make such statements whether I agree with them or not. Laudable as the sentiment may be … do we even know who this statement is coming from? Was there some meeting in Newstalk HQ where everyone was canvassed on whether this represented their views? Perhaps a little more transparency on who concieved of the statement and decided on it’s broadcast would have been nice to have been included with it.

“Our” media? Denis O’Brien’s media more like.

And why do you suddenly want to get behind Brian Cowen… Ah the scent of blood… :angry: