Nigel Farage:Euro Game is up. Who the hell do you think are?

Right wing - 100%
Extremist - I dont know how they could not be called extremist

I’m not sure that stacks up as an argument. Inward migration has lots of positive effects, including helping/forcing locals to up their game to compete, transferring skills and spreading best practice from other countries. People learn from people.

Not all immigration is the same.
Ask any taxi driver how it has affected their livelihood.

The foreigners that Google brings to our shores is very different to a planeload from Lagos looking for asylum.

We need a better selection process akin to Australia or Canada.

Issues in the taxi industry are complex and have very little to do with immigration.

Possibly, although I imagine that would involve lots of visas conditional on living in Leitrim.

bit.ly/1rBONEK

Edit. Read the first linked article. And this technique works to decode 95% of OW’s cryptic mutterings, and reveal the implied context etc. For anyone not familiar with Icke, here’s a reasonable introduction - publiceye.org/Icke/IckeBackgrounder.htm. Do please read it if you are under any sort of impression that this stuff is benign.

And how would you define extremist?

Extremist
dictionary.reference.com/browse/extremist

noun

1. a person who goes to extremes, especially in political matters.

2. a supporter or advocate of extreme doctrines or practices.
    adjective

3. belonging or pertaining to extremists.
    Origin 1840-50; extreme + -ist

thesaurus.com/browse/extremist

1828 definition of the exreme
1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/extreme

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremism

@Carrot and stick
Conservative is an antonym of extremist. So if we ask, are UKIP conservative or extremist?
It depends on which perspective you are looking at them from.
If you think EU rule and power is a good idea, they are extreme.
If you think local rule and power is a good idea, they are conservative.
I don’t think it’s a good or helpful word to describe them.

@roc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ … Associates

Peter Sutherland in his own words…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQIZdPDs0g

Why can’t people living in the countries that are affected vote on these issues?
Where does Peter get his authority? He’s not elected.
What role did the WTO play in causing the inequality Sutherland is proposing the remedy?

Mr Sutherland presents his points very clearly and very elegantly. He is a master rhetorician.
On the surface what he describes sounds great. Open borders, open minds. Who could disagree with that?
The issue, unfortunately, is not so simple as he presents it.

I’m guessing that they’ll accept minimum wages and the low quality of life that goes with such wages, which by their standards is high.

The only positive I can see in this scenario is the employer gets ahead in the race to the bottom!
Which in the long term could be a false economy if your customer base is local, they’ll be so poor that they won’t be able to buy your goods/service.

I guess thats where Dealz, Euroland and the 2nd hand markets come in!

@Eschatologist There’s nothing too complex about the Taxi industry in this country…the main issue is that there’s too many taxi drivers! And what we didn’t need was to import thousands more or even incentivise people into the sector.

And most of the immigrants to this country in the 10-15 years are all highly skilled and have helped the ‘locals’ to up their game!! Our SW system means the locals don’t need to up their game. Plus I’d love to see some analysis of those that have come in and what their qualifications/areas of expertise are…is anything like that gathered by the CSO for example?

When I last worked in Dublin, I worked with a couple of Oracle DBAs from Lagos. Both talented admins, hard working and enthusiastic. This was in the late 90s, a time when you couldn’t find experienced DBAs in Dublin for any money.

Do you think Lagos is all mud huts and animal skins?

Would it not be possible to have a points type system (Europe wide I imagine) where certain skill sets (DBA’s etc) are required so the likes of the people you worked with could then work here? The debate seems to be continuously framed in that you are either ‘completely’ for or against immigration. The example of the taxi industry here is well made, we surely don’t need anymore taxi’s…

The problem with the post-deregulation taxi industry is a combination of plenty of supply, elastic demand but inelastic pricing.

There is no shortage of taxi drivers prepared to sit in overflow ranks at Dublin airport (for instance), yet there are plenty of people who take the bus who would rather use a taxi if it were cheaper.

The other evening I took a 1km taxi ride in Dublin city centre (I was carrying heavy equipment) that took five minutes and yet cost almost €7.

Most of the economics literature suggests that immigration helps the overall economy - not by a very significant amount but marginally
It benefits particularly beneficial in some high value areas and can benefit innovation.
Id post more on it but you appear set in your mind on this but it appear to be a too much like an episode of southpark on here
Try google and look at both sides of the argument

You’re skewing the debate by introducing the word “mass”.

And by specifying Lagos alone.

I agree that an inflexible pricing structure is not good for the consumer but I would have a concern that a race to the bottom would be good either. Maybe the likes of Uber (where they are talking of taxi sharing etc) but maintain a minimum level of taxi standard will deliver for the consumer. I do know that many of the '10 taxi’s on the road in Dublin now are imports (can tell by the car reg) and that they are supposedly rented for €350 a week. From talking to my regular taxi driver he is at a loss to see how someone could rent it at those levels and make it worthwhile…must for some I suppose!

Perhaps I’m not best placed to answer, I agree.
I can still spot arse-hatted xenophobic generalizations when they’re proffered 8DD .

The issue is not free market vs regulated market.

The issue is the total clusterfuck that comes from almost randomly combining the two models without fully examining the consequences (housing, anyone?).

That’s uncanny, I get a real sense of bigotry off your posts.

I live in France.

Edit: Here are the numbers for asylum cases ‘granted’ over the period 2001-2013

2001 = 467 2002 = 893 2003 = 345 2004 = 430 2005 = 455 2006 = 397 2007 = 374 2008 = 293 2009 = 98 2010 = 25 2011 = 61 2012 = 67 2013 = 127Source: orac.ie/website/orac/oracweb … e/index-en
Given the distribution of applicants, I’d expect to find plenty of Nigerians among these, perhaps as many as 40% of the total (Nigeria can be a dodgy place to be christian, for example).
With about 3600 in total granted, even if 40% of them are Nigerians we’re still only around 1500, a very very long off “tens of thousands that arrived through the asylum route”.

Forum rules forbid me from saying what sense I get off yours…