Northside or Southside...which do you think is better value?

And yes folks am talking about Dublin here.

I’m not from Dublin, but in the time I’ve lived here (about ten years I’ve spent about half 'n half living Northside vs Southside.

Personally I prefer the Northside myself, I just do. I like the Phoenix Park. I like wandering into town from where I live. I like going out to Dollymount Strand or the Botanic Gardens, or down to the fruit markets at the back of Capel Street. I like walking to Croke Park during the summer. Not saying SCD doesnt have good stuff too, but thats just me.

Anyway, I’d like at some point to buy on the Northside, preferably in a reasonably decent area and not too far from the City Centre…so Clontarf, Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Raheny, maybe Castleknock though personally I’m not a big fan.

I had always assumed that an equivalent house on the Northside would be cheaper…but when i look at it, that doesnt appear to be the case. I’m increasingly of the view that because of the depth of the market on the southside…because there are so many more nice areas to choose from, that I am more likely to be able to pick up the house I want (ie good quality 3 bed semi in a nice area with decent garden) for a reasonable price in SCD than in NCD…which annoys me a bit given the Southside’s reputation for being where the poshies live.

I know I’m not producing any hard facts to back this up, but posting a few random links to houses on offer wouldnt especially prove my point anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a view on this…

I have always considered east v west Dublin as more relevant to determining nice areas - most nice areas being located to the east.

You are right.

However what I am talking about is good quality, decent sized semi-d houses in nice areas.

These are mostly in East of Dublin. So East West doesnt apply.

And some of them are on the NorthSide and some of them are on the South Side.

By the same token, you could have the same discussion about Cabra/Finglas vs Crumlin/Drimnagh/Ballyfermot.

Agreed. I’m a northsider but find the areas you mention are all way over-priced. That is, more over-priced than comparable middling areas south of the Liffey. It must be, as you suggest, the paucity of decent addresses on the northside. It seems Clontarf, Drumcondra and some roads in Glasnevin are demanding (if not commanding) outrageous prices. And that’s not to mention the Gold Coast villages of Malahide and Portmarnock :unamused:

Plus, the likes of Glasnevin and Drumcondra can be very nice but tend to be bordered by less salubrious areas. No offence to anyone here who lives in or grew up in Ballymun or Finglas but…you could pay €500k for a standard house in Glasnevin and still end up on the edge of deprived parts of the city.

By comparison, bits of the south side look very nice without the half-million euro price tags. There was a thread recently asking what it’s like to live in the Barton Rd/Dr area of Rathfarnham, presumably because it looks perfectly grand, yet a three-bed doer-upper can be acquired for <300k.

There are still ‘special’ parts of the south city like Rathgar, Ranelagh and - further afield - Dalkey and Killiney, which are into seven figures but that’s not what I’d be looking for.

Trouble is, in my case, I have very limited local knowledge of the south suburbs so perhaps the reasonable-looking prices can be explained by those who know better.

All of that just to say ‘Yeah, YB, you’re right!’ :slight_smile:

Where do you work?
Personally, the main determinant for me is my commute and having to cross the city centre or go out to the M50 to cross the river is a complete pain (I regard getting to the Eastlink as being near enough city centre as makes no difference).
That said, the main drawback to the northside is the relative paucity of nice areas near the centre. Most of the pleasant areas are proprtionately further out, not a problem if you work on the outer northside, but more of a trek when you do want to get into town.
It’s easy to compare (say) Raheny with Stillorgan, but there isn’t really a northside equivalent of Ballsbridge, Donnybrook or Ranelagh.

I know that no two areas are exactly comparable.

But for example, I would see Glasnevin as comparable in profile to Terenure. But I’d say its a lot easier to find a good quality family home in Terenure.

I would see Clontarf as commanding similar prices to Ranelagh or Rathgar, but I think Ranelagh/ Rathgar has nicer houses and is a nice place to live.

Just do it man… Make the move over to the sthside… It’s great craic over here…

…then I’ll just be another southsider … wouldnt be able for that.

the northside…because its worth it.

I don’t think you can really break it down that easy.

I only know South (East?) Dublin but that means I also know where not to buy there. It must be the same on the Northside.
Everything depends on the road itself and neighbouring roads, and not the ‘postcode’. What might be on the surface great value (I use the word advisedly) might turn out to only be a good mailing address within a not very desirable area.

In short, each individual property must be taken on it’s own merits, because it’s a thin line between good and bad location. A lot thinner than the liffey. :slight_smile:

This is what would put me off paying a sizeable amount for a ‘forever’ family home on the northside. Irrespective of how nice the area is (and I agree that parts of Glasnevin, Marino, Clontarf and Drumcondra are very nice indeed), you end up treking throuhg some very deprived and rough areas to get into town. On the southside, the most deprived and rough areas tend to be further out of town rather than clustered around the city centre. For instance, I live off Donore Avenue which, by any reckoning, is a relatively deprived and rough area. However, my walk to work and to any social/cultural/kids event in town is through less rough areas - Leonards Corner, Portobello, Camden Street or alternatively Blackpitts, Long Lane, other end of Camden Street. The really rough parts near where I live - Dolphins Barn, Marylands - are not on the way to anywhere and so have relatively little impact on my day to day life. Yet the house prices in my area very much factor in the ‘roughness’ quotient whereas the house prices in Glasnevin or Marino don’t. Frankly, I’d far rather walk through Portobello and Blackpitts twice a day than via Amiens Street or Ballybough or Dominick Street - there is no comparison - yet a comparable house a comparable distance from the city centre where I live is probably 30 - 40% less expensive than on the northside. Does not compute.

This is what would put me off paying a sizeable amount for a ‘forever’ family home on the northside. Irrespective of how nice the area is (and I agree that parts of Glasnevin, Marino, Clontarf and Drumcondra are very nice indeed), you end up treking throuhg some very deprived and rough areas to get into town. On the southside, the most deprived and rough areas tend to be further out of town rather than clustered around the city centre. For instance, I live off Donore Avenue which, by any reckoning, is a relatively deprived and rough area. However, my walk to work and to any social/cultural/kids event in town is through less rough areas - Leonards Corner, Portobello, Camden Street or alternatively Blackpitts, Long Lane, other end of Camden Street. The really rough parts near where I live - Dolphins Barn, Marylands - are not on the way to anywhere and so have relatively little impact on my day to day life. Yet the house prices in my area very much factor in the ‘roughness’ quotient whereas the house prices in Glasnevin or Marino don’t. Frankly, I’d far rather walk through Portobello and Blackpitts twice a day than via Amiens Street or Ballybough or Dominick Street - there is no comparison - yet a comparable house a comparable distance from the city centre where I live is probably 30 - 40% less expensive than on the northside. Does not compute.

this very true. I currently live and work in North Inner city, and considering where to buy. There are some lovely houses in Glasnevin, Clontarf and Marino are good spots to live. but my current walk to work (although v short) is bloody depressing, I’m sick of teenagers yelling crap at me, and I do not lightly walk home from town after dark. I wouldn’t buy where I’m living now, but those problems will remain even if I move to the nicer areas. there are some lovely houses on Iona Road, but agree some of the nicest houses in Clontarf are still in fantasy land price wise…

When people think of buying a “forever” home, do you really need to be in walking distance of town?

I would have thought as you get a bit older and maybe have a few younglings the bright lights of the city become less of a draw. Assuming you can get yourself on a good transport route into work (if you work in town, that is) then weekends are more likely to be spent at the sea, in parks and suburban areas in general rather than the mill of town.

Making that decision (realisation?) opens up a whole world of other options.

The post topic is about which location is better value, but if you focus only on value you may forget about other important considerations (I’m not saying that’s all that matters to you - after all you’ve mentioned your enjoyment of Croke Park, fruit market, etc - but I find that some pinsters are inclined to focus on money/price to the exclusion of all other issues). Other posters here have pointed out that your personal safety (or that of your partner/kids if applicable) is also important. Another issue is whether the area will suit your lifestyle.

Assuming you don’t just work, what kind of lifestyle activities do you pursue? As a southside dweller I find my proximity to the Wicklow mountains (15-20 mins drive) fantastic for mountain biking, trail-running and hiking; no doubt the northside offers advantages of its own (better beaches than southside I’m told). Another important issue for me is having a choice of restaurants, which is plentiful out where I am; friends of mine who live on the northside complain that they have far fewer good restaurants to choose from. This may matter to you if you enjoy eating out (assuming your plan is not to mortgage yourself so far up the hilt that you can’t afford to). These are just my own examples: there may be other activities that are important in your life that would be better served by some areas than by others.

No, you definitely don’t but I’m assuming that if someone is looking in Drumcondra or Glasnevin, then being close town is one of the things on their list of desirables - otherwise they’d presumablty be looking in Sutton or Portmarnock or Howth or wherever.

In my case, we bought knowing that we would be starting a family as soon as possible and also that both of us would remain in full time work. My office is in Dublin 2 and it was (and is) an absolute priority to be within a 25 - 30 minute walk to work. I want to leave home no earlier than 8.20 a.m. and arrive home no later than 6 pm. Given that arriving in work not much earlier than 9 and leaving regularly at 5.30 are already considered a travesty in the long-hours culture of my office, a 45 or 55 minute commute, no matter how easy, was not an option. Plus, when we bought, we wanted a spacious house that would fit a (god willing) growing family and, in 2004 at our price range, the options in our price range were either inner city or the far suburbs (Blanchardstown/further reaches of Tempelogue/Sandyford type areas).

I’d make the same choice again in terms of proximity to town - by far the most important thing for me in the foreseeable future is to spend as much time as possible with my chidlren during the week. (Plus, the emotional/psychological importance apart, the logistics of cooking/meal planning/domestic tasks/childcare arrangements and handovers/homework supervision etc all need to be done - and none can be done while commuting!) A side effect of my current arrangements is that I have got addicted to the brisk 25 minute walk morning and evening - when I travel for work and don’t have that, I feel mentally and physically fuzzy all day.

Just the opposite for me.
The kind of jobs I want are more likely to be in an industrial estate in the suburbs, but recreation will involve access to theatres, concert halls, museums, etc. Being able to commute away from the centre but walk into town and back is valuable. Getting out of town at the weekend is both less frequent and easier than the misery of a long daily commute. Being in my 40s, the “mill” of town has already lost what little appeal it may ever have had, but the stuff I do want is still there. Living in outer suburbia would make for an easy commute, but I’d be looking at taxis or flaky public transport when going into town. (A motorcycle is great for commuting but doesn’t leave you so well dressed for the theatre.)

Given this, the southside has more options, whatever the relative cost. Also, I work on the southside, the single biggest determinant for where I live.

I’ve lived in Blackrock for 8 years and my door-to-door commute to Dublin 2 is between 30 and 35 mins, only 12 of which is on the DART - the rest a “brisk walk”. If you get the right spot, the commute can be easy and hassle-free.

So in this regard, buying somewhere to be physically close to work seems short-sighted.

How long will recreation involve theatres, concert halls and museums? One child and you’ll be swapping the Dolce Vita for daytime activities.

Don’t get me wrong, if it’s bachelor pads people are talking about then the right spot near town would be great. But if it’s a lifer, then it might be worth a rethink. :smiley:

Kids are not an option.

Also, public transport from one outer suburb to another tends to be lousy. I either want a short commute under my own steam (ie live near work, or at least commute in the opposite direction to other people) or on a transport route between work and the centre, since all public options in Dublin are essentially radial.

Knock yourself out then. I’d probably think the same as you (though I’d be looking at Sandymount!)

The world is your lobster. :wink:

Do you work for An Bord Snip ? :-GC

familiar?

irishtimes.com/blogs/home-tr … southside/