Nuclear power thread

Good article I read a few weeks ago on Thorium MSR. Full steam ahead in China!

Good luck trying to do this in the West.

Didn`t the Three Mile Island incident in the US end research and development of Nuclear for decades?

“Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics in China, which plans in the next few years to build an experimental reactor whose design makes a meltdown far less likely.”
There’s a similar story from a few years ago that also claimed someone in China is going to build a working thorium reactor.
With similar misty-eyed rhetoric.
Good article? I’m not so sure.

The world needs nuclear energy, if it is to be used as low-carbon energy, not as a result of experiments that will come to fruition in 15 years, but that will be in production in a small number of years.

Yeah, they might require a Safety Statement or something :smiley:

I vaguely remember reading also a few years ago that China were experimenting with a pebble bed reactor – the type that uses graphite balls loaded with fuel which can be dropped in and retrieved for reprocessing without stopping the reactor for maintenance. Haven’t heard how that went, might be still in the works but I know other country’s have had failures with the technology.

This one?
viewtopic.php?f=19&p=465899

Not sure but I don’t think so. I think that one is a CANDU pressurised water reactor, modified somehow to make it burn up spent fuel.

This video is a bit long and rambling (2 hrs), but it covers a lot of the history and possible future of thorium and LFTRs. Also covers additional angles such as why nukes are the natural way to power Martian or lunar colonies, how cheaper energy makes recycling of everything more feasible, and solves the water and CO2 problems. If you can manage to sit through it, it’s quite entertaining. A lot of it centres around Sorensen, who doesn’t come across as the crank I feared he might be although he definitely wears thorium-tinted spectacles.

Thanks PS that was one of the links I posted in my OP on Thorium I just don’t know how to imbed the video.

I have watched it and this as well as the TED talk piqued my interest. It is heavily influenced by Sorensen hence my desire to have an alternative source. The tec does look. Dry good and I still can’t find a good explanation as to why it isn’t used already. This type of power would. E great for Ireland to get us off burning peat bog for our base load.

As PS says it’s a good video to watch or listen to on a long drive.

Peat is a small fraction, 6.9%, and not burned for base-load but rather for political reasons.
Rather, nuclear could displace coal (when Moneypoint was being planned in early days, it was also thought of to build nuclear at Carnsore Point) and certain uses of gas.

adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout … a0da2d88cc

In a nutshell, the temperatures in South Australia have been peaking between 40 and 46c. In the evening when everyone gets home from work they turn on the air conditioning and power load jumps. Its calm so the wind turbines aren’t generating much and its evening so solar isn’t doing much either.

Just like during the winter storm - solar and wind were off - the whole state went offline because the interconnector to Victoria where baseload is generated got uprooted by strong winds.

Renewables need reliable baseload/energy storage.

I would much rather energy storage than dirty coal or even nuclear but is it viable?

In a word, NO. Best option energy storage is pumped hydroelectric but this is really only viable for frequency regulation or small surges in power demand of the order of 5% to 10 % instantaneous load. This is the part of power generation that makes the environmentalists put their finger in their ears and go la la la… Heavy duty base load generation is needed to account for the variability of “green” generation Heavy duty base load can be Hydro, Coal, Oil, Gas, Peat, Biomass, Nuclear or anything else that is non variable in its availability.

Give it a few years and we will have more electricity stored in batteries than our one pumped storage plant, this will be in cars and in stationary batteries

Wet bulb temperature over 35C + power cut = lots of dead people.

Wrong. That debate is over.

Further info: The Baseload Fallacy.

The first article is unattributed with all the usual biased true believer sources (i.e junk) and the second one is from a Green Loony who has been a Green Loony since the '70’s. Absolute no background in power engineering or any real applied science. Or engineering for that matter. Just some guy who did some minor league solar astrophysics modelling as a post grad. Otherwise just another a high priest of the green religion who believes in his own revealed truth. And who has made a very lucrative professional career from his beliefs.

A nutcase.

I’ll keep believing the power gen engineers. You know, the guys who actually know how the fuck to build and run a power grid that works. And has worked for upwards of a hundred years by this stage. Rather than a bunch of affluent middle class kooks who seem to fuck all about anything in the real world.

Explosion at flamanville near Cherbourg nuclear station 9am.

So you’d listen to the people who run the biggest Electricity grid in the World, right?

Chinese Grid Officials Explode the Myth of Baseload Power at CERAWeek

I hope you’re not too lonely living in the 1970’s.

The wind is blowing the flamanville fallout towards the south of Ireland. Will anyone notice this or will we all snooze through the radiation and the venting before shutdown. The French have switched off the local monitors, no real need to know is there?

The cost of cleaning up the Fukushima disaster has now been put at $177 BILLION, and the figure has been doubling every three years. It is not inconceivable that the total cost will exceed $500 Billion. It could turn out to have a far higher cost.

What exactly does $500 Billion actually mean in terms of electricity production?

A single kWhr of electricity has a wholesale cost of about $0.065. Since Japan constructed it’s nuclear power stations the nuclear industry has supplied 7.4-million-million kWhs of electricity (7’400’000’000’000 kWhrs), giving a total value of $480 Billion for all the electricity ever produced.

The cost of the Fukushima nuclear disaster is set to exceed the total value of all the electricity that the entire Nuclear Industry ever produced in Japan. Think about that for a minute.

This does not account for the cost of decommissioning the other nuclear power stations or for the long term storage of the spent nuclear fuel and associated waste.