Oh, Canada...

Good to hear if true but won’t save the multitude. I noticed the effect one night while walking in the Phoenix Park, we came down off a wide open expanse in toward trees and the temperature difference was starling.

Fact is trees take a long time to grow especially when you cut them all down. Seems even longer, like an age and thus not worth is :angry: :cry:

Why wish for a house with a garden when we could live in Gardens! Join me! See over there toward the Double helix Rainbow where my unicorn is parked! 8DD

So whats this got to do with Canada? Well they still have lots of trees aka Forests. A little bit of rainforest I believe too.

The fools! They have yet to discover the magical insulating properties of salmon puke.

or simply salmon

Salmon insulates brain from unwisdom.

More madness in Toronto:

theglobeandmail.com/life/hom … le2362078/

i get the impression the globe and mail is cheering on the property market

They give the VIs a fairly easy ride although there are some notes of concern sounded:

theglobeandmail.com/life/hom … le2339828/

So the Toronto market continues to rise, for now, despite the province’s massive budget deficit and struggling manufacturing sector.

Here’s an interesting link:

theeconomicanalyst.com/

In Toronto, buying homes at break-neck speed

Usually ends in broken necks

Euphoria

theglobeandmail.com/life/hom … le2377803/

Bonkers article

In TO, as well as BC, some of the truly stir crazy sales appear to be Chinese cash buys :

cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 … stors.html

But most of the pressure to build this ‘new reality’ in Toronto is home grown.

What will make the housing boom go bust? ‘Greed’

theglobeandmail.com/life/hom … le2402051/

theglobeandmail.com/life/hom … le2362078/

Vancouver home sales fall to lowest in April since 2001, real estate board says

business.financialpost.com/2012/05/02/vancouver-home-sales-fall/

Which Canadian property markets are most at risk?

theglobeandmail.com/globe-in … le2427557/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/mortgages/home-buying/growth-in-vancouver-house-prices-compared-to-fundamentals/article2427817/?from=2427557

The graphs are very instructive

Foreign money fuelling household debt: Carney -> business.financialpost.com/2012/ … bt-carney/

Why doesn’t he raise interest rates?

It’ll bring more money in…

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

The Canadian market is getting ready for a bang.

I spent a summer in Vancouver back in 2004 and the bubble was already in full swing, with everyone talking up the effect of the 2010 winter olympics on the property market. The ‘fundamentals’ for a property boom discussed by everyone were as follows:

• A previous winter Olympics in Calgary, grew the population of the city by 50%
  • There was a ‘permanent’ affect on house prices there
  • Chinese immigration to BC will increase population and competition for places

Was in Toronto a few times last year and listening to the radio all talk was of house price plateaus, supported by fundamentals like dollar parity and strong demand for [read: speculation on] commodities. Speaking to people on the ground, they are all “ok” because they bought houses in Toronto, and not over-priced condos, and “Toronto didn’t lose the run of themselves like Vancouver”

I’m sure there’ll be some Liz “Eh” Kane character on Canadian tv next year saying that “well located houses in good areas will, within reason, hold their value”

Canada is so enormous anyway, you could double the population & barely notice the difference. According to Wiki, population density is ~3.3/km2; now a lot of that area isn’t exactly desirable living space, unless your a Moose, but places like BC are vast & eminently liveable.

Vancouver’s real estate swoon deepens -> theglobeandmail.com/report-o … le2433053/

Jeez, it’s nice to have the luxury of throwing away such deposits