Old fridge? Here comes ‘Cash for Appliances (US)

Old fridge? Here comes ‘Cash for Appliances -> msnbc.msn.com/id/34169891/ns … ngton_post

I wonder what the carbon cost in production is compared to lifetime usage? Is it more or less than the 2/3 production cost that has been attributed to cars?

To me, that determines the ‘usefulness’ of the measure.

Of course, since many of these items are no longer made in the US, from the current usage based carbon scheme, it will be positive for the US carbon account. I’d much prefer to see a move to consumption based carbon costs…

When was the US government taken over by the Chinese export agency!

I wouldn’t even dignify the “carbon con” with any form of consideration other than the bin/del button.

Its a global fraud. Its a con currency.

This is absolute lunacy! Any economic model that says it makes sense to replace (collect/transport/disassemble/recycle/melt down/ manufacture/reassemble/transport/deliver) a perfectly good working appliance is flawed. How about training people to repair and upgrade appliances? Put in more efficient motors and pumps and stuff like that?

I spent last night taking my washing machine apart and fixing it (replaced the brushes on the motor). It’ll be good for another 5 years. Does it use too much energy and water? Maybe, but there’s plenty I can do to improve that (rainwater harvesting, solar collectors for heat etc). How about insisting that manufacturers make appliances that are serviceable and aren’t ‘made-to-fail’?

Exactly! However the carbon con is primarily designed to dissuade you from this kind of self sufficient free thinking… :angry:

Probably because the appliance manufacturers are too big to fail… :angry:

Try doing that to one of the latest models, “sealed drums”, snap-on fixings that can only be assembled once etc I kept a tumble dryer going for nearly 20 years before retiring it! 15-20 years life isn’t too much to ask is it?

Who gains out of this trade apart from retailers, foreign maufactureers & bankers???

Someone told me once that often when you bring an item back for “repair” it goes straigh in the skip, and they give you a new one. Too expensive to repair.

Yep! the spare parts are deliberately overpriced, quite often on a production run, virtually no spares are made at all, spares are robbed off damaged units.