Ownership/liability for private cable pole

Many years ago a cable tv pole as tall as an ESB pole came to be placed in the garden we now own. This was put in place by somebody running a private business. We have no benefit from this pole, we were not approached by the business owner (a nearby neighbour, and I have reason to believe the person is an unsavory character) when the house changed hands. I worry about liability. What if that pole fell on my house, or a neighboring house, and caused damage? There is no reference to the pole in any of our documents. We only came to know what it is and who put it there by chance. I have no idea if people are still paying for cable received via this pole, nor do I enjoy the thought of hosting another person’s business equipment for free.

How does the nearby business owner benefit from the presence of your pole?

I think ESB networks and cable providers have the right to place poles on your land if there is a need.

But if it is purely a private matter then surely they need your ongoing consent.

Why on earth didn’t your surveyor flag this when you purchased the house?

The person benefits because the pole was erected to facilitate his business of being a cable tv provider. I don’t know if he still receives income from this endeavor or not.

The ESB can no longer erect poles on private land, but they charge a few thousand euro for removing extant poles from private land.

As for the surveyor…who knows, useless, I suppose.

I assumed it was some kind of ESB or telegraph pole and had ascribed liability to them until I found out all of this…

Opt-out by using a chain saw or digger. BD

How does a person have a small business of being a cable TV provider?

I am intrigued.

If it is not registered on the land registry folio for your property as a right of way then you can remove it. If it is registered you cannot. You may form the opinion that it is rotten and dangerous yourself, first. :slight_smile:

Maybe they redistributed TV signals, a bit like the old Redifussion systems that were common in areas of poor reception, one building with a large antenna would receive the TV signal and rebroadcast it via a Coax cable to the neighbouring houses. Used to be fairly common in the early days of TV broadcasting, especially in areas where the old band I antennas were considered too unsightly or the owner was the only one who could get the UK channels.

It used to be a right of way but it is now registered in the land registry as not being a right of way anymore.

How did you get rid of the right of way in the Land Registry??

Was the right of way for the neighbour or was it for a cable company like Virgin Media? In other words what was the right of way for exactly?

Is this man making an income from redistributing TV signals in 2019?